What's the deal? Is Eisner trying to back-door this deal w/ Comcast?

phlydude

Original Poster
News is a little old but I haven't seen anyone post about this...

7/21/2004 8:03:00 AM

ABC News On Demand Video and ABC News Live Launch Today on Comcast.net

Comcast Announces Its Online Kids Channel, to Include Disney Family Content

PHILADELPHIA, NEW YORK and NORTH HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Jul 21, 2004 /PRNewswire via
COMTEX/ -- -- Comcast, the nation's leading broadband Internet provider, ABC News and
the Walt Disney Internet Group (WDIG) today announced one of the industry's most
comprehensive broadband content distribution deals to date.

This agreement makes ABC News on demand video and ABC News Live, 24/7 live streaming
news programming, immediately and easily accessible to Comcast's 5.7+ million
High-Speed Internet customers, at no additional cost.

Comcast also announced today that it plans to launch an online Kids Channel. Disney
will provide Disney Connection, its broadband entertainment destination for kids ages
3-11, to support Comcast's launch planned for later this year. This will mark the
first North American launch of the internationally popular Disney Connection.

ABC News on Comcast.net

Reports from across all ABC News broadcasts are now available on Comcast.net's
Internet News Channel - the site's most popular channel. Comcast High-Speed Internet
customers can now watch Nightline in its entirety, as well as on demand news reports
from World News Tonight, Good Morning America, This Week, 20/20 and Primetime Live.

In addition to this expansive offering of on demand programming, ABC News Live also
launches today on Comcast.net. ABC News Live, a built-for-broadband streaming
application, delivers live breaking news events, hourly news briefs, and reports from
ABC News correspondents. Beginning July 26, ABC News Live will provide unprecedented
coverage of the national conventions, with Peter Jennings anchoring nightly
gavel-to-gavel programming from Boston and New York. Regularly scheduled programming
includes a daily political newscast, Politics Live, airing at 1:00 p.m. ET and a
one-hour special, Vote 2004, at 7:00 p.m. ET during the conventions.

Comcast's Kids Channel with Disney Connection

Comcast will leverage the premier content of Disney Connection for its upcoming
online Kids Channel, a safe interactive environment designed for today's broadband
family. This channel is designed to further extend Comcast's broadband offering,
with content that parents trust to educate and entertain their children. Forty
percent of Comcast High-Speed Internet households include kids.

Disney Connection includes a regularly updated slate of games, activities and video
from Disney, as well as select access to premium Disney offerings: Disney's Blast
(http://www.disneyblast.com), and Disney's Toontown Online (http://www.toontown.com).
Disney Connection basic and premium content will evolve over time. A premium,
interactive educational service for preschoolers, in development now and slated for
launch in 2005, will be added to Disney Connection.

"Delivering content from well-known and well-trusted brands over a true broadband
network is key to providing our customers the best possible broadband Internet
experience. This agreement with Disney and ABC News enables us to add significant
value to our customers' lives - specifically in areas of high interest including,
kids, news, and entertainment. Furthermore, by providing our customers with a
dedicated kids channel and offering built- for-broadband services such as ABC News
Live, we can continue to provide an unparalleled broadband Internet experience," said
Greg Butz, senior vice president, marketing and business development for Comcast's
online business.

"Our agreement with Disney marks one of the most comprehensive broadband agreements
in our industry to date. The power of combining best-in-class content with
built-for-broadband applications cannot be underestimated," Butz concluded.

"Broadband offers exciting new opportunities for us to bring quality news
programming to our audiences in new ways at a time when the interest in news and
politics couldn't be greater. We're delighted to team with Comcast, the number one
broadband provider, and to introduce Comcast's more than 5.7 million current
customers to ABC News Live and our video on-demand programming," said David Westin,
President of ABC News.

"We are very happy to extend our Company's relationship with Comcast from cable
television content to broadband Internet," said Steve Wadsworth, president, Walt
Disney Internet Group. "With the rapid growth in broadband to the home, families are
now enjoying appropriate rich-media content, and we are pleased to be working with
Comcast to answer this need. The consumer wins through access to advanced content
from brands they know and love, which can both help attract new broadband access
subscribers and provide existing subscribers with a premier broadband experience."

About ABC News

More Americans get their news from ABC News than from any other source. Through its
platforms on television, radio, and the Internet, ABC News reaches an average of more
than 200 million people each week. ABC News programs are seen in 88 countries
worldwide. David Westin was named president of ABC News in March 1997.

ABCNEWS.com and ABC News Live are part of the ABC News Digital Media Group. ABC
News launched ABC News Live on ABCNEWS.com in March 2003. Bernard Gershon is senior
vice president and general manager of the ABC News Digital Media Group.

About Disney Toontown Online

Disney's Toontown Online is the first massively multiplayer 3D online game created
for kids and families and combines elements of traditional video games, online
community and strategic role playing games. Among other awards, it has been named
2004 Game Industry News Family Game of the Year and the Massively Multiplayer Online
Role Playing Game (MMORPG) Game of the Year 2003 by Computer Gaming World. Disney's
Blast is an online world of games, stories and activities for kids 3-9. Comcast
customers will be offered special rates for full subscriptions to these premium
products.

About Comcast

Headquartered in Philadelphia, Comcast Cable is a division of Comcast Corporation ,
a developer, manager and operator of broadband cable networks and provider of
programming content. With a presence in 22 of the top 25 U.S. markets, Comcast is one
of the leading communications, media and entertainment companies in the world.
Providing basic cable, Digital Cable, high-speed Internet and telephone services,
Comcast is the company to look to first for the communications products and services
that connect people to what's important in their lives. The company's 59,000
employees serve more than 21 million customers.

About Comcast.net

Comcast's premier broadband online service, http://www.comcast.net features news,
weather, and stocks, plus exclusive broadband content with streaming video and
high-quality sound. This agreement adds even more valuable on-demand content that
can be easily searched and viewed on the site through The Fan(TM) which contains news
clips, interview segments, short animations and movie trailers. Comcast.net was
recently ranked the No. 1 most-used broadband portal (May 2004 Nielsen/NetRatings*).

Comcast.net features include:

-- The Fan, an innovative broadband video player. Since its launch on

http://www.comcast.net, video usage on the site has increased by a

factor of 15.

-- The Assistant, a personalized toolbar with always-on utilities such

as weather, sports scores, stock watch lists, horoscopes and much,

much more.

-- Content from leading providers such as E!, G4, The Weather Channel,

IFC, Planeta Networks, Atom Films, and others

-- Comcast Rhapsody, the country's leading Internet jukebox service that

provides subscribers with unlimited access to a vast library of music

from all five major labels plus more than 200 independent music

labels.

-- "AskComcast," an interactive help tool developed using technology

from Conversagent. This interactive agent "chats" with Comcast High-

Speed Internet customers in a conversational personalized way,

helping them find information they desire about their service and its

features.

About Walt Disney Internet Group

Walt Disney Internet Group (WDIG) provides strategic leadership and operational
management for The Walt Disney Company's Internet properties including category
leaders Disney.com, ESPN.com and ABCNEWS.com. A market leader in developing and
distributing entertainment and informational content to new platforms, WDIG is
committed to creating and delivering products for broadband distribution including:
ABC News On Demand, a subscription video news service that offers the Internet's
first 24-hour, live Internet-only news channel and top ABC News programs for on
demand viewing; Disney Connection; and WDIG Motion, a proprietary video technology
for broadband users. Through relationships with some of the world's largest wireless
carriers, WDIG distributes content and services to wireless users under the Disney,
ESPN and ABC brands. Additionally, WDIG has led the way in developing interactive
content for televised programming through its Enhanced TV service. Steve Wadsworth is
president of WDIG, which is headquartered in North Hollywood and has operations in
Seattle, New York, Orlando, Fla., Tokyo and London.

*Nielsen/NetRatings, May 2004 - broadband portal defined designed for broadband
users and drawing more than 90% of visits from broadband connections

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/newsarticle.asp?print=1&symb=DIS&guid={41DA7BD6-2ACE-4D64-93B0-137F77F65302}&siteid=mktw

Erik

I really think this is one of those situations where a companies with really good content and companies that supply broadband are looking to marry up services. Disney and Comcast happen to be two of the biggest players on either side so it's a natural fit.

I work in DC on telecom issues which gets me close to some of of the cable industry issues that they share - I've heard from folks who thought the chances of a deal were about 50-50 a few months back, now think it will never happen. But that's just small talk over drinks.

I need to get out of depression over the Phillies - Go Birds! I sense a 14-2 season!!!!

phlydude

Original Poster
I just worry that because of this partnership, Comcast might have a little more leverage on an upcoming deal. The stock price of Disney worries me a bit too since it's down in the $22.xx range. Comcast is notorious for being the evil corporation no one wants to work for and if people had another cable choice besides satellite, they would be in trouble with a lot of their subscribers for price, customer service and flat out quality of product.

chancellor

Actually, I think this makes a takeover less likely. If Comcast was still intent at buying Disney (to acquire its content), why would it ink a deal to license that same content in exchange for a bunch of money? I think Comcast views this as an cheaper alternative to takeover, rather than a prelude to it. Of course, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth (not much). :animwink:

brisem

Comcast can't do the dea anymore. CNBC had a story about Comcast this morning stating that their stock is down roughly 37% still their bid. If Comcast would try to take Disney over, Disney shareholders would own a majority of the new company.

ddank

I agree this is a nail in the coffin for the deal. Comcast wants content, Disney wants $$$ and the ability to force their brands down everyones throat. Comcast's monopoly is the perfect opportunity to but Disney in front of more faces. Problem is Disney should be more worried about improving their park operations margins rather than media. Media is doing just fine right now whereas the parks don't make nearly the money they should.

GoofMaul

ddank said:
I agree this is a nail in the coffin for the deal. Comcast wants content, Disney wants $$$ and the ability to force their brands down everyones throat. Comcast's monopoly is the perfect opportunity to but Disney in front of more faces. Problem is Disney should be more worried about improving their park operations margins rather than media. Media is doing just fine right now whereas the parks don't make nearly the money they should.

Actually, I would think this was a good thing for Disney's Media side of the company. One of the reasons the parks haven't been kept up as well is that Disney has needed the money to prop up ABC. Its about time their media side starts pulling its own weight. :D

phlydude

Original Poster
ddank said:

I have Comcast for broad band only because DSL isn't available to me (since the CO is too far away) and DirectWay is too expensive for the equipment. I'm not happy to be paying my $50 a month to comcast but once you have broad band, you never go back to dial-up! But I guess my point is that I don't use comcast.net as my home page so I won't even look at what is there for content. If I want disney content, I go to disney.com.

wdwmaniac

I don't think a Comcast deal is that far fetched but I think Disney would be on the buying end..I mean look at the media world right now...TW has a cable, fox has direct TV, I mean the key players already have the content and the services disney has alot of content but no outlet they own so Disney could add comcast to there already growing porfoilo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom