What's River country?

X12345

It says on the introduction slip I got in my packet that River Country will not be operating during my stay (dec 29-jan4). What is that?

tikiman

Rob562 said:
Actually, what you can't really make out in that pic is the *real* separation between the park and the lake. There was some sort of inflatable balloon "bladder" or something between that bridge and the lake. (It blends in with the shoreline in the pic) The water level in the park was a foot or two higher than the lake's, and the flow was strictly from inside the park OUT into Bay Lake. There were then pumps that brought lake water back into the park.

-Rob

Unless that inflatable bladder was added in later years, that statement is not correct back in the mid to late 80’s when I visited River Country. I specifically remember standing at the net fence and looking out towards the lake. There was no other barrier between the park and the lake. Also if there was a separation between the lake and the park I would not think there would be a bacteria problem in the park then (as stated in the post from ErickainNJ).

Maybe we are both right but you look at that photo and tell me that is the water coming in from the lake and that the level is any different.

Upvote 0

CatLady

I have fond memories of River Country. My grandmother, who was notoriously thrifty, used to take us when they had deals for coming in during later afternoon hours (like the "Epcot after 4" concept, I guess).

I have heard CMs say (in the past couple months) that there's discussion about reopening some of the area as a pool for Fort Wilderness. I had heard that rumore in the past and dismissed it, but this seems to stem from the fact that the one thing that Recreation is getting dinged on in satisfaction surveys is having "fun enough" pools (meaning "cool slides") in some locations. Heaven only knows that swimming at FW is currently not anything to get excited about, with no theming.

Incidentally, there's upcoming pool work at Carribean because of its low satisfacation surveys regarding pools. That's what Disney gets for building Sormalong Bay. Now everyone wants something like that...

Upvote 0

MaraBelle28

It's so sad that River Country has been gone so long people don't even know what it is :( I loved River Counrty... especially once Typhoon Lagoon opened b/c everyone wanted to go there so River Country became quiter and so relaxing... guess thats why its closed!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom