What's going on?

pixiesteno

We try to avoid typically "busy" times and we know this can all be affected by promotions,weather, etc. We also know that day of the week will impact how busy a particular park is. We have been touring with APs for the past couple of years so if one park is super busy we just hop a bus, boat, or monorail and go somewhere else or back to the resort for a swim. We're passed the days of super-duper planning. A few ADRs per trip and the rest by the seat of our pants -- it's wonderful!

DfromATX

We've decided our preferred time is June. It's not quite as hot and the crowds are not as bad. We went once over July 4th... omg... never again. It was so hot and the most crowded I've ever seen. I would like to try Thanksgiving or Spring break some time. (I've heard T-giving is the worst for crowds though.)

Figgy1

Original Poster
We've decided our preferred time is June. It's not quite as hot and the crowds are not as bad. We went once over July 4th... omg... never again. It was so hot and the most crowded I've ever seen. I would like to try Thanksgiving or Spring break some time. (I've heard T-giving is the worst for crowds though.)
Yea for June people!!! First 2 weeks are great! Head home before NY and NJ schools let out.

Joseph Robinson

I live for the crowds and the party atmosphere. The more the merrier I say (of course, I can usually go back whenever, so no stress to "do" everything in a given day)!

Bob Saget

If you want the most accurate crowd predictions, take any WDW Crowd Calendar and throw it in the garbage, as those can be very misleading. Instead, look at the schools/colleges and their calendars. Find out when the majority of schools/colleges/major universities will be on vacation, and when they'll be in session. THAT is how you plan.
For instance: Do you want to visit during the best times of year to avoid long lines? Then look at when schools will be engulfed with final exams; or just before letting out for a major break/holiday. Times such as these include: The week prior to Thanksgiving week, the very 1st week in March before Spring Breaks start to take form, early/mid-May before Memorial Day weekend. etc.
Also look at when schools just go back in session from a major break/holiday. Times such as these include: Mid-late August when most schools/colleges are just beginning after summer break. These are all great times to visit the parks if heavy crowds is not your cup of tea.

When planning a trip, ask yourself: What will the schools be doing when I'm going? Will they be in session, or will they be on vacation/3-day weekend? If you're going during the week of Christmas - New Year's, the answer to this should be quite simple, as every school & university in the nation will be out, and people will be traveling! Expect crowds & lines during that time. Spring Break is a little tricky since school systems across the country differ on which week they will be out. Any time from 2nd week of March thru end April could be hit or miss with these crowds.

In simpler terms, avoid weeks/weekends which have a title to them (President's Week, Christmas Week, MLK Weekend, Thanksgiving Weekend, etc) if you are not a fan of the heaviest crowds.

Or this little rule of thumb which is easy to remember:
-When the schools are out, you're gonna pout.
-When the schools are in, the lines are thin!

AndyS2992

If you want the most accurate crowd predictions, take any WDW Crowd Calendar and throw it in the garbage, as those can be very misleading. Instead, look at the schools/colleges and their calendars. Find out when the majority of schools/colleges/major universities will be on vacation, and when they'll be in session. THAT is how you plan.

This. Perfectly explained.

HouCuseChickie

I don't trust the TP crowd calendar. The 2 trips were I used it...the crowds were quite off from their numbers. The most accurate calender of this sort out there is the one Josh has over at Easy WDW. Hence why I no longer pay for TP. :)

WDW97

I'm going the week of the 4th, I knew that it was going to be full, but its the only week possible for me. What year did you go? And can you give a few more details about July? I just want to be somewhat prepared! The past two years the end of June hasn't been that bad, but still pretty full. And for you the week after Thanksgiving isn't bad at all. :)

DfromATX

I'm going the week of the 4th, I knew that it was going to be full, but its the only week possible for me. What year did you go? And can you give a few more details about July? I just want to be somewhat prepared! The past two years the end of June hasn't been that bad, but still pretty full. And for you the week after Thanksgiving isn't bad at all. :)

I think that was in 2010. Well, if you can, at least avoid MK on the 4th, try another park for that day. It was noticeably more crowded and really hot (and I'm from Texas so you'd think I'd be used to it). On the plus side, the fireworks were awesome. I don't know if they did anything more than they usually do, but it was great! Just put some sunblock on, lol! :cool:

Nemo14

Is anyone else having a difficult time getting Marvin Gaye out of their heads?

not until you mentioned it - thanks pal!
laugh2.gif

jgage66

We usually go in early May and the crowds are ok. We have also done mid October and early December which were pretty low in numbers. This year we went the second week of January between the holidays and the marathon off of the advice of travel agents and the TP website. Boy, were they wrong. All of the parks seemed very crowded. The one good thing though about TP is their mobile app which gives almost up to the minute wait times which comes in handy when you are leaving Buzz Lightyear and heading over to Big Thunder. They are also pretty accurate when it comes to next day crowds in parks when you are at DW. We totally changed our prevacation plans and followed their advice and it worked out ok.
I do not understand the people here who don't mind the big crowds. If I am going to drop a considerable amount of money on a week at DW, the last thing I want to do is stand in line for an hour with other hot, sweaty, crabby people and try to walk through 50,000 other people dragging kids along.
I believe the big crowd numbers this year on the TP website have to be due to the opening of FLE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom