What's everyones favorite airline?

rob0519

I had a huge issue with United giving away my family's seats after we had already checked in and had our boarding passes in our hand. It was a huge mess that was not resolved to our requirements, so they were already near the bottom of my list. Yesterday's incident and their CEO's defense of the actions just sent them further down the list.

FutureCEO

These are already so few airlines to serve the US as is (not taking about international flights) - that sometimes it will be impossible to avoid United. But I really don't understand overbooking policies and yes, I understand people don't show.

Jimmy Thick

These are already so few airlines to serve the US as is (not taking about international flights) - that sometimes it will be impossible to avoid United.

Even in the wake of the guy getting his lip busted and dragged out by his arms, people will still continue to fly United. With the bad press and the CEO saying it will never happen again I can see United dropping a "We're Sorry" sale and because airfare is not cheap, I assure you warmly people will take advantage of any possible savings, especially a significant one. As people click on the "book now" button with a huge discount, I doubt people will remember that guy who just got beat up and be thinking about where they are going. You could compare it to the people who complain about Disney World's quality yet continue to keep going.

Whats really disturbing is as that guy got beat up, no one offered their seat to prevent the eventual bloody lip, they just whipped out their phones, and watched.

Jimmy Thick- No, I would have took the vouchers and gave up my seat, honestly.

WDW Monorail

I don't have to go out of my way to fly United Airlines since a hub is a 20 minute drive way and I can get to any place in the world that I want to go to with their expansive route network. In fact, if I am able to choose my destination I would choose it based on the route flown by the airline. If for some reason I am faced with a choice of carrier I will go out of my way to fly United Airlines.

Brand loyalty is extremely important to me and for that reason I earn yearly status with the airline when I meet the required miles, segments flown and spending requirement.

I am extremely disappointed with Oscar and although I never liked him as much as Jeff Smisek I continued to be loyal to the brand.

The social media reaction to employees following industry practices absolutely disgusts me. The passenger in question was asked to leave the aircraft. He did not comply with crew member instructions, did not comply with the authorities and somehow he is the victim. I am horrified at the attitude in the country against companies and people of authority.

As a personal experience, my family has been involuntarily denied boarding twice. Once in the 90s with TWA and once with American Airlines when I was about 8 years old. My family and I were flying as non-revs and I was denied boarding because I was wearing sweatpants which did not conform to the dress code required for persons representing the company. There was no kicking and screaming or social media overreaction, simply a change of clothes and board the next available seats on a different flight.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don't have to go out of my way to fly United Airlines since a hub is a 20 minute drive way and I can get to any place in the world that I want to go to with their expansive route network. In fact, if I am able to choose my destination I would choose it based on the route flown by the airline. If for some reason I am faced with a choice of carrier I will go out of my way to fly United Airlines.

Brand loyalty is extremely important to me and for that reason I earn yearly status with the airline when I meet the required miles, segments flown and spending requirement.

I am extremely disappointed with Oscar and although I never liked him as much as Jeff Smisek I continued to be loyal to the brand.

The social media reaction to employees following industry practices absolutely disgusts me. The passenger in question was asked to leave the aircraft. He did not comply with crew member instructions, did not comply with the authorities and somehow he is the victim. I am horrified at the attitude in the country against companies and people of authority.

As a personal experience, my family has been involuntarily denied boarding twice. Once in the 90s with TWA and once with American Airlines when I was about 8 years old. My family and I were flying as non-revs and I was denied boarding because I was wearing sweatpants which did not conform to the dress code required for persons representing the company. There was no kicking and screaming or social media overreaction, simply a change of clothes and board the next available seats on a different flight.

Was the person in question causing a problem on the plane and was asked to leave the aircraft or was he just randomly selected and then told he had to leave and then started being argumentative ?

MacRtst

I like southwest for one huge reason. Baggage fees. I have such a huge issue with this. It's just ridiculous. Its just my wife and I so for a round trip that's another $80. NOPE. I was flying JetBlue up until the point they began charging for bags. I'm not crazy about the boarding, but I take their boarding procedures over a bag fee any day. Their customer service is pretty easy to deal with as well. ALSO many of the SW flights I have been on now have in-flight dish network on your electronic device.

Sans Souci

These are not equivalent events. As the daughter of an American Airlines employee, I flew as a non-rev passenger countless times until I was no longer a dependent. I have waited patiently flight after flight to get a seat, any seat on a flight. I have even had to go home after the last flight and return the next day for the first flight. I was once bumped even after settling into my seat. But, I never kicked up a fuss. Like the dress code, it is part and parcel of flying at a ridiculously discounted air fare.

However, this gentleman purchased a ticket. He was seated on the plane. At that point, passengers are mentally prepared to settle in. I don't know why the dead heading crew appeared at the last minute, or why the gate agent waited until everyone was waiting for push back to offer a pittance to leave the aircraft. United should have either given the maximum amount of compensation required by law or found alternate means to get their dead heading crew to Louisville. It is the cost of doing business.

This unfortunate incident could been avoided if the gate agent offered up the maximum amount of cash. I am only speculating here, but I suspect the gate agents receive incentives for staying within certain $$$$ targets when offering compensation.

This was United's issue to fix at their expense, not the consumer's.

Mark Dunne

Just curious what airlines people have flown and what their favorite is? Perhaps if you have any horror stories with any airline, that would be fun to hear too ;D

I'll try and give a list and accurate recollection of every airline I've gotten to fly on, hopefully to create some fair comparisons with other people.

Alaskan Airlines- I've flown on Alaska a bunch seeing as my local airport is a major hub for them. They're good quality. They're a little more expensive than their competition, but you seem to get what you pay for. Their planes always feel updated and their flight staff seem experienced and friendly. But there's just not a lot to say about Alaskan, good or bad. Just a standard airline.

Southwest- Only flown with them a few times. Pretty inexpensive, but it does feel closer to a budget airline than most. Also- they don't do reserved seating. It's first come, first serve. I've read that they do this so that the passengers have incentive to be at the gate early in order to get a good seat and it minimizes delays. But it is odd.

United Airlines- Probably my least favorite that I've flown on. They feel cheap, even cheaper than Southwest. Good luck getting ahold of customer service. And any money you save on the ticket they try and get out of you through other ways. Infact, do have guaranteed seating next to people you're flying with, you have to pay an extra like, 30 bucks. That's right. They will intentionally split your party up in order to extort more money from you. This has been my least favorite flying experience.

Hawaiian Airlines- Think Alaskan with a tropical overlay. The colors are warmer. They'll serve Mai Tais on board. Stuff like that. The planes are nice, usually big planes in order to make the flight to Hawaii. Pretty good complimentary meals from what I can remember. I enjoyed flying with them even though they are sort of expensive. Not to get too far off into the weeds here though, but I flew out of Honolulu airport with them recently, and Honolulu is the worst airport I've ever been to. Just awful.

Jetblue- I've saved this one for last because this is my absolute favorite airline, and it's not even close. I will sing Jetblue's praise all day long. First, their customer service is second to none. Every time I call, I'm connected to a friendly Rep, very quickly, who's helpful and can speak English with a native tongue. Your ticket price drop since you bought it? Even if it's just a few bucks? No problem, call them and you'll get a credit applied to your account. As many times as you want on the same flight, too. Their loyalty program is awesome. And when you get onboard, the experience gets even better. They have the most standard legroom of any airline. And they're proud of it. Every seat has a tv screen with free direct tv, interactive map, sirius radio, etc. Every flight has free unlimited wifi. You're served a modest snack and drink from a friendly attendant. And the onboard food menu is very reasonably priced. The planes are always very clean, and I have yet to experience a delay with them, and I fly with them a lot. But the best part? The price. Sometimes it's so low I'm almost flabbergasted. My next flight with them is from Portland Oregon to Long Beach California and back, for Disneyland, I paid 66 dollars round trip. I cannot recommend Jetblue enough.

Edit: I've also flown Delta and American Airlines. Just ran out of time to write more

I'd love to hear what others have to say about their experiences!

Ok here goes.if it takes off.remains air bound and lands I'd take a chicken across the pond.Lol,

Ok seriously though thompson Dreamliner.very quiet and nice leg room even in economy.

gawrshdanielle

I really like Delta. The terminal for Delta at my airport is really easy to navigate which keeps my stress level low. The seats were comfortable and I liked how they had movies available to watch in flight.

Cesar R M

Just curious what airlines people have flown and what their favorite is? Perhaps if you have any horror stories with any airline, that would be fun to hear too ;D

I'll try and give a list and accurate recollection of every airline I've gotten to fly on, hopefully to create some fair comparisons with other people.

Alaskan Airlines- I've flown on Alaska a bunch seeing as my local airport is a major hub for them. They're good quality. They're a little more expensive than their competition, but you seem to get what you pay for. Their planes always feel updated and their flight staff seem experienced and friendly. But there's just not a lot to say about Alaskan, good or bad. Just a standard airline.

Southwest- Only flown with them a few times. Pretty inexpensive, but it does feel closer to a budget airline than most. Also- they don't do reserved seating. It's first come, first serve. I've read that they do this so that the passengers have incentive to be at the gate early in order to get a good seat and it minimizes delays. But it is odd.

United Airlines- Probably my least favorite that I've flown on. They feel cheap, even cheaper than Southwest. Good luck getting ahold of customer service. And any money you save on the ticket they try and get out of you through other ways. Infact, do have guaranteed seating next to people you're flying with, you have to pay an extra like, 30 bucks. That's right. They will intentionally split your party up in order to extort more money from you. This has been my least favorite flying experience.

Hawaiian Airlines- Think Alaskan with a tropical overlay. The colors are warmer. They'll serve Mai Tais on board. Stuff like that. The planes are nice, usually big planes in order to make the flight to Hawaii. Pretty good complimentary meals from what I can remember. I enjoyed flying with them even though they are sort of expensive. Not to get too far off into the weeds here though, but I flew out of Honolulu airport with them recently, and Honolulu is the worst airport I've ever been to. Just awful.

Jetblue- I've saved this one for last because this is my absolute favorite airline, and it's not even close. I will sing Jetblue's praise all day long. First, their customer service is second to none. Every time I call, I'm connected to a friendly Rep, very quickly, who's helpful and can speak English with a native tongue. Your ticket price drop since you bought it? Even if it's just a few bucks? No problem, call them and you'll get a credit applied to your account. As many times as you want on the same flight, too. Their loyalty program is awesome. And when you get onboard, the experience gets even better. They have the most standard legroom of any airline. And they're proud of it. Every seat has a tv screen with free direct tv, interactive map, sirius radio, etc. Every flight has free unlimited wifi. You're served a modest snack and drink from a friendly attendant. And the onboard food menu is very reasonably priced. The planes are always very clean, and I have yet to experience a delay with them, and I fly with them a lot. But the best part? The price. Sometimes it's so low I'm almost flabbergasted. My next flight with them is from Portland Oregon to Long Beach California and back, for Disneyland, I paid 66 dollars round trip. I cannot recommend Jetblue enough.

Edit: I've also flown Delta and American Airlines. Just ran out of time to write more

I'd love to hear what others have to say about their experiences!
Not sure if this is for US carriers only.

But I so far like:

Westjet : (Canadian), very good support, always on time the 4 times we used them, had one bag free, and had best price for Canada.

Interjet : (Mexican low cost carrier) Probably the most interesting airline, while they get a lot of delays thanks to mexico city (not their fault). They have a decent fleet and have INSANE leg space. I could fit a whole full sized baggage infront of my legs if I wanted. And it would fit.
They just need to renew some of their planes which are literally falling apart (old A320's with damaged seats, most are already being replaced with A320NEO and Sukhoi Superjets 100's)

Volaris: (Mexico) another low cost carrier, they are kinda better than Interjet for local routes, very few routes to US.

Worst:

United Airlines: Their leg space is atrocious, I'm short and I can hardly move. and they keep making it smaller! despite their prices being similar. Now they charge for everything, even first bag! They also had horrible attendants right after the merge.. they got a little better later on, but the new restrictions makes it AWFUL CHOICE. NEVER AGAIN!

American Airlines: Last time I went with them.. they were still using their atrociously old DC9's. Their newer aircraft were nice, but still felt cramped compared to most foreign airlines in terms of leg space. They have troubles with arriving on time.

Aeromexico: (Mexico's flagship carrier after Mexicana was forced bankrupt by corruption groups). They are literally the United Airlines of Mexico, Expensive, smaller leg space, charge everything, claims to be luxury when they are not, gloat about being on time (despite having most of the mexico city's airport slots, they still get delayed.. a lot, or canceled) and EXPENSIVE. They are even more expensive than US carriers 99% of the time for the same flights.

WDW Monorail

Based on my most recent flights last week, United Airlines will continue to be my choice of airline for all of my air travels. I love the fact that United has 8-10 daily flights to/from my hub and MCO with 2-3 daily flights on aircraft equipped with lie-flat seats. It's a short flight but it's still nice to be able to nap for an hour or so even during meal times. I will always choose aircraft with lie-flat seats if my schedule allows for that departure time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom