What's being done at the Main Street Bakery?

wdw_nerd

Original Poster
On a few other forums I've seen photos of a HUGE brown tarp over the bakery and projecting out into Main Street. Just wondering if anyone knows what work is being done and how long it's going to take?

* Sorry if it's been posted already, I didn't see anything about it anywhere....

captainkidd

It's better than letting the buildings deteriorate.

The more refurbishments that happen each year, the better.

Not necessarily. I'm going next month, and there are so many walls up and attractions closed, tickets should be half price.

I don't remember the last time I went to Disney and there wasn't SOME sort of facade up on Main Street. What annoys me is, Disney used to take of these things, literally, over night. Now, it takes them weeks, if not months, to do an exterior touch up. I said this on another thread - I've seen restaurants built from scratch, open up in the time it's taking Disney to clean up the exterior of much smaller buildings.

And why are the Christmas decorations still up?

hpyhnt 1000

Not necessarily. I'm going next month, and there are so many walls up and attractions closed, tickets should be half price.

I don't remember the last time I went to Disney and there wasn't SOME sort of facade up on Main Street. What annoys me is, Disney used to take of these things, literally, over night. Now, it takes them weeks, if not months, to do an exterior touch up. I said this on another thread - I've seen restaurants built from scratch, open up in the time it's taking Disney to clean up the exterior of much smaller buildings.

And why are the Christmas decorations still up?

Many of these recent refurbs involve much more than a basic paint and power wash. After 40 years of constant Florida heat and rain just about everything needs to be replaced. We're talking new siding, replacing rotted wood, new roofing, re-sealing windows and joints, etc. Its more a restoration than a refurbishment and thus takes more time. And it all has to take place in the middle of an operating theme park that hosts thousands of guests everyday.

And Christmas decor stayed up through Marathon weekend. Should be coming down in the next few days.

ThankstoMOM

Eyesore for now, but am so glad to see a vast array of refurbs/building, Things are changing for the better, one refurb at a time!!

26 days and counting:sohappy:

wsmith1978

Oh, I gotta say I am NOT happy about this one. I'm sorry to be a complainer here, but I was so excited to think that the refurbs were done on Main St, and that my parents, who are going to see this place for the first time in their lives next month, would get it to see it the way the way it was supposed to look. We had to deal with this last year, and I said to myself as this year's trip is getting closer, "please, refurb anything you want, just leave Main St alone!". Damn! :mad: I can understand why they tend to do these refurbs in the slower months, but why should the people who chose to go during that time have to put up with it? It's a necessary evil, I get it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

GLaDOS

Big Thunder, Dumbo, Carpets, and Liberty Belle will be closed at some points during February, but Big Thunder and Liberty Belle are the only ones that overlap with others.

Epcot won't have anything closed. The Backlot Tour will be closed in DHS...but are you really missing anything there? And Kali will be closed, which I guess could be a big deal.

So 2 rides that could be considered headliners closed, when you have literally dozens more, and you think tickets should be half priced? Come on.

nepalostparks

We'll be there next week, just wish it was themed like the others we've seen.

If you look at the pics, the one "panel" is themed, which leads me to believe the other ones will be as well in the next few days. Hopefully they will be up before your trip and help it blend in!

captainkidd

Many of these recent refurbs involve much more than a basic paint and power wash. After 40 years of constant Florida heat and rain just about everything needs to be replaced. We're talking new siding, replacing rotted wood, new roofing, re-sealing windows and joints, etc. Its more a restoration than a refurbishment and thus takes more time. And it all has to take place in the middle of an operating theme park that hosts thousands of guests everyday.

And Christmas decor stayed up through Marathon weekend. Should be coming down in the next few days.

I understand, but work was done to every single building on Main Street in recent years. It can't be THAT bad.

The key thing is, it DOESN'T have to be done when people are in the parks. As I said, there was a time when work like this was done overnight. If Disney wanted to spend the money to have it done quickly, this type of work could be done within a week's worth of overnight shifts - At the most.

captainkidd

Big Thunder, Dumbo, Carpets, and Liberty Belle will be closed at some points during February, but Big Thunder and Liberty Belle are the only ones that overlap with others.

Epcot won't have anything closed. The Backlot Tour will be closed in DHS...but are you really missing anything there? And Kali will be closed, which I guess could be a big deal.

So 2 rides that could be considered headliners closed, when you have literally dozens more, and you think tickets should be half priced? Come on.

Big Thunder
Dumbo
Main Street Electrical Parade
Plaza Ice Cream Shop
Tutto Italia
Fantasmic
Kali River Rapids
Typhoon Lagoon

That's a lot of stuff down at one time.

Pioneer Hall

Big Thunder
Dumbo
Plaza Ice Cream Shop
Tutto Italia
Fantasmic
Kali River Rapids
Typhoon Lagoon

Yet still a small percentage of what is actually there, and it is spread over various areas. It's the nature of the business when you operate year round. With things having been neglected over the years, I am happy to see work getting done even if it means that a few things will be closed when I go.

nepalostparks

Big Thunder
Dumbo
Plaza Ice Cream Shop
Tutto Italia
Fantasmic
Kali River Rapids
Typhoon Lagoon

One of the drawbacks of travelling in the slower seasons. It's a trade off - you are looking at lower crowds and overall lower lodging rates (on-site or off-site). But with a park system that is open daily year-round, work has to be done at some point to fix things.

GLaDOS

Big Thunder
Dumbo
Plaza Ice Cream Shop
Tutto Italia
Fantasmic
Kali River Rapids
Typhoon Lagoon

Fantasmic won't be closed in Fabruary...unless I'm missing something on Disney World's site. And yea, I missed the Electrical Parade.

but there's still literally hundreds of more things to see, do, and eat. Half price is kind of going overboard.

wdw_nerd

Original Poster
We're going in April so I've been paying more attention to the refurbs going on and we're bummed that both BTMRR and Test Track will be closed, they're our faves. I was amazed at how much work is going on all along Main Street also. I understand this is the slow season but how disappointing that must be to go and see all this construction on top of all these rides being closed. Value season rates do not save you that much. eek!

Is the ice cream parlor refurb all interior or will there be exterior scrims on that as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom