What's a Puppeteer?

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
A question for any CMs or CPs in Entertainment:

One of my students went to an audition tonight for CP Characters. He scored too high for a Character, although he is in the Pluto range. They said he could do the Character if he wanted, but they did an additional audition and want him as a dancer. They also said he made it for an aerialist in the Tarzan show or a dancer in the Lion King show.

Another location they said he would be placed if he wanted was a Puppeteer. I was wondering if any of you knew what and where that position would be located.

We are going as a group in December and they want him to attend the Thursday auditions they hold also.

He's leaning towards the dancer part but was wondering about the Puppeteer. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

kal1484

My guess would be someone like they have in Little Mermaid to control the puppets.

Just wondering though, what's his major? (just curious)

Night_Aaron

They have puppets in Little Mermaid, MGM parade, Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade and Playhouse to name a few. He would have had to go to another audition for puppets though (it could have been the same night) and they wouldn't tell him on the spot that he could do one of those shows. The entire audition consists of you moving your hand to music. They also wouldn't put him in Tarzan or Lion King right out of character auditions, especially being a CP. He hasn't even been to an official color coding yet.

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
He's probably not going to do the CP program, he has one more semester to go and he will be graduating with an Architecture degree. They advised him to go for Equity because it pays better. At least that's what they said. So he's going to audition for an Equity dancer. One of my former students is a choreographer in Animal Kingdom and she's the one that advised us the parts they will be looking at him for.

I don't know about color coding, but they had him attended the Character audition because it was the only one in this area. They told him they want him to start in January and he would get a phone call with the details.

Thanks for the info - I have a message out to my former student also - I'll keep you posted on the details.

Atta83

Yeah he could be picked for any of the shows that have puppets. It is true equity does get paid more than normal entertainment. I am suprised they did not ask him to try out stilts...

Night_Aaron

I apologize for the tone of the last message I sent. I made it sound like he couldn't possibly get those things just because I've never heard it done. I hope he's really that good and good luck to him.

WDWKat26

Being a Puppeteer is also included in Spectro Magic (Sebastian) which one of my friends is getting trained for. But there are several jobs on Disney grounds for a puppeteer, tell your friend congratulations!

barnum42

Festival of the Lion King also has puppets, but from what I have been told sometimes the dancers (or at least one of them) double up as puppeteers.

Atta83

I forgot puppets are also incuded in the Disney Stars and Motorcars Parade. They are with the playhouse disney unit and little mermaid unit with sebastian. I have a friend who is real good friends with a turtle over at the little mermaid show...

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
Atta83 said:
Yeah he could be picked for any of the shows that have puppets. It is true equity does get paid more than normal entertainment. I am suprised they did not ask him to try out stilts...

You sure know your stuff! They did tell him about the stilts, I forgot all the things they mentioned - they gave him quite a few things he could do. They mentioned Prince work as well - he's got that chiseled look to his cheek bones, if you know what I mean. He was pretty overwhelmed when he got to the studio, after they did the Character audition, they had him stay and do addition choreography. He had missed the informational meeting about the program and didn't have the "green paper" that everyone else had - but they didn't seem to think that was a problem.

He's a very good dancer - very strong and has a strong acrobatic background as well - he also teaches here at the studio for me. When he executes a leap - he practically jumps over the height of the girls in his group!

He's leaning towards the Equity dance roles. I have a friend that choreographs for Broadway that has also seen him dance that is interested in him - but he is a Disney freak at heart (no wonder we get along so well!) and wants to give it a go there first. He also has Lighting and Set design in his background, minored with Architecture major so I think he has dreams of Imagineering after he can no longer dance. Hey, ya never know!

Thanks for all the info everybody - I will pass it on to him :kiss:

MsSnuzi

Original Poster
Night_Aaron said:
I apologize for the tone of the last message I sent. I made it sound like he couldn't possibly get those things just because I've never heard it done. I hope he's really that good and good luck to him.

No problem Aaron - I'm not sure of all the info and it probably sounded like I was misinformed. I think that this audition was a formality for him. We have performed in Magic Music Days and the choreographers at the workshop picked him out of the group and wanted him to audition then, but he was too young. We are pretty excited for him. Thanks for the good wishes!

Atta83

MsSnuzi said:
You sure know your stuff! They did tell him about the stilts, I forgot all the things they mentioned - they gave him quite a few things he could do. They mentioned Prince work as well - he's got that chiseled look to his cheek bones, if you know what I mean. He was pretty overwhelmed when he got to the studio, after they did the Character audition, they had him stay and do addition choreography. He had missed the informational meeting about the program and didn't have the "green paper" that everyone else had - but they didn't seem to think that was a problem.

He's a very good dancer - very strong and has a strong acrobatic background as well - he also teaches here at the studio for me. When he executes a leap - he practically jumps over the height of the girls in his group!

He's leaning towards the Equity dance roles. I have a friend that choreographs for Broadway that has also seen him dance that is interested in him - but he is a Disney freak at heart (no wonder we get along so well!) and wants to give it a go there first. He also has Lighting and Set design in his background, minored with Architecture major so I think he has dreams of Imagineering after he can no longer dance. Hey, ya never know!

Thanks for all the info everybody - I will pass it on to him :kiss:

Wow he sounds like everything disney would want!! Awesome!!! Let us know what he picks to do!! Only a few more months till return to work there!!YAY. Maybe I will see him there in Jan!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom