Whatever happened to the Gondola/Sky ride ?

kaos

hypercatmatt04 said:
Why do they still run the waterfall?
And can't they do something more exciting than put a bathroom there?

The bathrooms are an original part of the park planning and structure. They have been there since October 1, 1971. The waterfall is just to give a more scenic design to the structure and is a nice addition. The bulidling itself is really all that can fit in that area. I heard a rumor that it was being scheduled for a fine dining establishement, but again, those are just rumors.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I was at WDW MK the day of the cast member fatality. At the time we didn't know that anything had happened except for the fact that the skyway was stopped and there were some empty cabins on the cable. Having seen them lower guests with a ladder truck once before (unexpected high winds shut it down for hours-guests were stranded for over an hour) we thought that this may have been the case, although the air was still and it was a picture perfect day. We later saw the news and realized what had happened. I do recall it being open during a subsequent trip and convinced my wife (affraid of heights) and two daughters to ride after telling them that DL's skyway was gone and who knows when WDW's might be. Sure enough it closed later that year. I believe I video-taped that entire final ride of ours. I'll have to look for it.

OliveMcFly

Right when the skyride closed in WDW a local park here closed the skyride as well. I wonder if it just phased itself out?

Brick Tamland

I was there very shorly before it was closed although I was only about 12 years old at the time. I also have some video of my final ride. I rode it during March and we went back in july and it was gone.

monorail_man

Account Suspended
barnum42 said:
Wheelchair users do not get to jump lines

I beg to differ. We took a trip to WDW with my grand mother and she has one of thoes cart things and the CMs at EVERY attraction took us straight to the front of the lines through the gate we only spent about 5 mins in a short line vers 20 mins in the other line.

I could really care less about your "myth" thread. I know what happens. if you or someoen in your party is in a wheel chair or cart. you simply as the CM and they will (as you put it) "jump" you up in line.

barnum42

monorail_man said:
I could really care less about your "myth" thread. I know what happens.
Somebody is having a bad day, either that or you enjoy being a rude, offensive know it all :lol:

I've spent a total of four weeks in the parks with a wheelchair user (you will find the details in the "myth" thread (if you can get someone to help you read all the long words).

SimonLee5282

monorail_man said:
I beg to differ. We took a trip to WDW with my grand mother and she has one of thoes cart things and the CMs at EVERY attraction took us straight to the front of the lines through the gate we only spent about 5 mins in a short line vers 20 mins in the other line.

I could really care less about your "myth" thread. I know what happens. if you or someoen in your party is in a wheel chair or cart. you simply as the CM and they will (as you put it) "jump" you up in line.

Not anymore. Disney changed thier policly becuase of abuse. There would be a lot of kids rent wheelchairs and take turns sitting it in to get to the front of the lines. It is sad that some people mess things up for everyone.

They changed the policy and now weelchairs must be stay in the same line as anyone else, and if someone cannot navigate the line in a wheelchair, the party must wait though the line and the wheelchair person can join up at the end of the line.

As far as closing down rides because of ADA, there is a grandfather clause in florida where if something was built before a specific time, (not sure when) it is exempt from the provisions. The actractions were closed down for puerly fiancial reasons, cuz disney got cheep with Michael Isner.

A side note, check out Savedisney.com

barnum42

SimonLee5282 said:
Not anymore. Disney changed thier policly becuase of abuse. There would be a lot of kids rent wheelchairs and take turns sitting it in to get to the front of the lines. It is sad that some people mess things up for everyone.

They changed the policy and now weelchairs must be stay in the same line as anyone else, and if someone cannot navigate the line in a wheelchair, the party must wait though the line and the wheelchair person can join up at the end of the line.

As far as closing down rides because of ADA, there is a grandfather clause in florida where if something was built before a specific time, (not sure when) it is exempt from the provisions. The actractions were closed down for puerly fiancial reasons, cuz disney got cheep with Michael Isner.

A side note, check out Savedisney.com
Hello - I see you are new to the boards, so if nobody else has said it - "welcome" :wave:

This thread is quite old, from the start of the year, you can see the dates they were posted, always something to keep an eye on when posting replies as bring back old topics can sometimes confuse.

However, thanks for the support of my original post that this particular member was rather rude in replying to. For what it's worth his attitude never changed and he was kicked from the boards.

Anyway, nice to meet you and hope you have fun on here :D

SimonLee5282

hey, thanks. I am used to very fast pased boards, and if it is on the first two pages, then it was just posted within the past day or two. I never check dates. Anywyas, thanks for welcoming me. I had to post a reply cuz that post got under my skin a little bit. But I see he got a temp ban.

Getting off tract, I used to frequent all of the centeral florida parks a lot, but now that I do not have the money, and moved out of florida, the last time I have been was sept 03.

barnum42

I'm surprised this was on a second page! But then it's in the Past Attractions section, which won't be the more heavily frequented areas.

I tend to use the UserCp button to look at all the new threads I've subscribed to and the New Posts button to see all the new threads in all the sections.

Have fun exploring!

testtracker

It was a while ago, but Busch Gardens Tampa had a skyride. Sea World San Diego also had one but i wasnt going to pay 5$ or whatever to ride it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom