Whatever Happened To MYST island?

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
There was a thread in this forum about a possible "MYST" island? This used to be the old "Discovery Island" -- what plans, if any, has Disney decided to do with that area? I've been by it on the "watermice" you can rent out from the resorts (Contemporary, Poly, GF). Also, what did Disney do with the birds that were on the island when "Discovery Island" was open?

Hmmm.. maybe Disney can come up with "Paintball Island" (Contemporary Resort Guests vs. Polynesian Resort Guests) ;) LOL

:D :D :lol:

Skippy

i vaugely remember someone telling me that they moved most of the animals to AK, but i could be wrong, i forget

SkipKid

djmatthews

When I was at A.K. in 2001 I was talking to a Cast Member about D.I.. He said that the animals from D.I. were moved to A.K. D.I. became redundant after A.K. opened in 1998.

He said the plan was to turn D.I. into a luxury honeymoon retreat type resort. Obviously this hasn't happened.

lebernadin

Back in maybe 1996, wasn't there a disease contracted by the birds on Discovery Island? I vaguely remember hearing that when we were there. :confused:

Pioneer Hall

The MYST talks fell apart a while ago. There is nothing planned for that island. it's kid of unfortunate, because that was a very important part of the Florida project for Walt. He loved that island.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyInsider
The MYST talks fell apart a while ago. There is nothing planned for that island. it's kid of unfortunate, because that was a very important part of the Florida project for Walt. He loved that island.

What was so important about the island?

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by ntn_haqqer
What was so important about the island?

That was a huge part of Walt choosing the area where WDW is. He loved the island...it's size, location, and the fact that he could do so much with it. That was one of the final factors for Walt choosing that location.

ImagineerFan04

That was a huge part of Walt choosing the area where WDW is. He loved the island...it's size, location, and the fact that he could do so much with it. That was one of the final factors for Walt choosing that location.

they are doing alot with the idland know.LOL

wdwjmp239

Original Poster

It's a shame they AREN'T doing anything with it now. :( I still think my paintball island idea would work.. :)

1st Annual Walt Disney World Paintball Tournament

Polynesian vs. Contemporary Guests
Grand Floridian vs. Animal Kingdom Guests
All Star Music/Sports/Movies vs Pop Century Guests. LOL

I can see the tournament brackets now ;)

mrmickeymouse

i don't think myst would have worked anyway imo becouse the computer game didn't have such a following..there are so many hings locked away on shelfs on WDI that will make the island better

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by mrmickeymouse
i don't think myst would have worked anyway imo becouse the computer game didn't have such a following..there are so many hings locked away on shelfs on WDI that will make the island better

Well the island wasn't supposed to be a tie in to the game if I remember correctly. They were just talking with the creators to make an island mystery adventure that guests could interact with. But I could be wrong about that.

DisneyJill

Originally posted by Disneyfan81
Walt picked this area because of the island? Isn't this the island in the Seven Seas Lagoon? And isn't Seven Seas Lagoon man made?

The island is actually in Bay Lake, which is not man made. Seven Seas Lagoon is, yes. Bay Lake existed prior to WDW.

jrriddle

Originally posted by raven
Thank you jrriddle for the link. (Although the music made me jump out of my seat!)

:lol: Sorry, I should have included a warning. It's really bad synth music and impossible to get out of your head afterwards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom