What would you show someone on their first never ever in WDW: Illuminations or Wishes

ssidiouss@mac.c

What would you show someone on their first night ever in WDW: Illuminations or Wishes

Hi.. I'm going to WDW in december.. me and my wife are taking our moms their for the holidays. Its the first ever trip their for our moms

Anyway, I keep changing my first day plans. I can't decide what is more impressive for their first night.. which would you choose to show them as their first night ever at WDW (we wont be doing rides or dinner first night):

1. Illuminations (and walking around a few countries and seeing Epcot all lit up in christmas colors)

2. Wishes (and seeing Spectro Magic while there)

Hmm.. Very tough decision for me.

PS : Any idea what time MK is usually open until on Sat Nights in december?

lawyergirl77

Chalk up another vote for Wishes first. While I used to love love LOVE Illuminations, I find that the show has lost a bit of its shine, and Wishes can be incredibly magical for first-time visitors (and sappy people like me)!

No matter what your final choice is - don't sweat it! You'll be in WDW, and I guarantee that they'll be thrilled no matter what you decide! :wave:

Upvote 0

clairevfm

We had one night during our trip in Jan '04 where we couldn't agree which firework display to watch and when looking at the programme realised that we could do both! We watched Spectro and then wishes. Stood at the top of Main Street and then caught the Mono rail over to Epcot and was there in time for RoE. It was great to watch them both! We then finished the night with a wander around the world showcase which in December at night will be amazing.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

kellydisney

I'm taking into consideration that the crowd is more mature. I would vote for Illuminations. There is no better evening activity than walking around the countries IMHO.

Upvote 0
I love Illuminations, but seeing SpectroMagic and then Wishes! is by far better! But you MUST see Illuminations while you're there, just seems wrong to miss it. Sounds like a storm is coming so I'll finish this post now. ^.^

Upvote 0

righttrack

Illuminations is more spectacular, but Wishes has more disney magic. Depends on the person. To make one generality, males would likely enjoy Illuminations and females Wishes, IMO.

Upvote 0

swimmom

This is a tough question!!! We like both shows so well that on our trip last December we were able to see Illuminations and then Wishes on two nights. Since both shows are good I think your moms will enjoy either. You might want to wait to see what the park hours are for your trip and then decide.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Wishes. I hate to say, but Illuminations bores me. I usually catch it once per trip while walking through the park, but that's all I care for it. I usually see Wishes 3-4 times, Illum once, and Fantasmic 2-3 times in a typical week trip.

AEfx

Upvote 0

rainfully

Wishes is more about the Disney experience. I'm a strong believer that a first timer should always go to MK as their first experience and see the fireworks!

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
rainfully said:
Wishes is more about the Disney experience. I'm a strong believer that a first timer should always go to MK as their first experience and see the fireworks!

I agree. I think most first timers are mostly interested in Magic Kingdom. The Epcot fans tend to be the repeat guests. I don't think Illuminations is much of a "magical" show. I like watching it, but it's too cultural/educational I guess for my brain to handle when it's fried after a long day.

Upvote 0

lcsrig

Check out the times that they are done. My friend and I watched RoE at 9 and then booked it over to MK to see Wishes!!! We were only there for 2 nights and I HAD to take her to all the fireworks.
But if I had to pick one....WISHES!!!

Have Fun!

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

We like both firework spectaculars, but I have to say there is just something in the Illuminations music that gives you a warm, cozy feeling. Makes you appreciate life. Sounds silly, but it's true. :)

Upvote 0

DisKid

I would say go with Fantasmic the first night!! I know it wasn't an option, but it is really a great show to see first. The Disney feeling is strongest in this show, followed closely by Wishes!!

Wishes is a wonderful show, in a wonderful park, so I see why many would choose this as a show to see first.

As for Illuminations, I loved the show, especially the music, but I must say the down time with the globe does get a little long and boring.

Either way, you shouldn't miss any of these nighttime shows!!!

Upvote 0

barnum42

Firewolfe51 said:
We like both firework spectaculars, but I have to say there is just something in the Illuminations music that gives you a warm, cozy feeling. Makes you appreciate life. Sounds silly, but it's true. :)
Works for me. Wishes is the sentimental traditional Disney, Illuminations has a bit more power behind it.

Upvote 0

dflye

I would definately do Illuminations first, as EPCOT is a better place to start out older guests that may not be into rides as much as other attractions and activities. Get them warmed up to the whole Disney thing before jumping onto ToT! :D

One of the best ways to enjoy EPCOT and IllumiNations is to have the group pick out a sit-down restaurant (going for those ancestral roots, we always choose the Norwegian restaurant), and time it so that you are ending the meal shortly before the fireworks begin. However, since you say you won't be doing dinner the first night, you may want to do Wishes first.

Depending upon exactly when in December you are there, the density of the crowds can vary from sparse to crowded, the closer you get to Christmas day itself. On a sparse day, you can pretty much walk out the door of a restaurant as IllumiNations begins, and still find a decent location to view them from.

Since you will be there during the holidays, I strongly recommend taking a tour of the hotel lobbies of the higher end Disney resorts like the Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian and BoardWalk. The elaborate holiday decorations and insanely huge and overdecorated Christmas trees are not to be missed! :xmas: If you have a car, quicker to tour multiple ones that way, as that cuts down on the waiting time for a bus when resort-hopping (especially since there aren't direct connections between resorts via bus.)

As to your question about MK hours on Saturdays in December, usually the park is open until 11 or 12 that month on Saturdays. Closing time for the remainder of the week varies depending upon how close you are to Christmas day.

Good luck traveling with multiple sets of parents, last time I tried that, I found out that you can shop your way around EPCOT, as well as drink your way around!

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

rainfully said:

That's what I think, too. :)

Unless you need to catch a little nap, which is always in order during the "globe sequence" during RoE. :lookaroun

:p

I LOVE Illuminations as well, but to me, comparing the two shows is one of those apples and oranges things. But you know how *some* of us poke fun at those who call the MK "Disney World" :lol: That's because, I believe, the MK is what most people associate with being "Disney". The fantasy, the pixie dust, the characters, etc. So, give them the show that has all that in it. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom