What would you show someone on their first never ever in WDW: Illuminations or Wishes

ssidiouss@mac.c

What would you show someone on their first night ever in WDW: Illuminations or Wishes

Hi.. I'm going to WDW in december.. me and my wife are taking our moms their for the holidays. Its the first ever trip their for our moms

Anyway, I keep changing my first day plans. I can't decide what is more impressive for their first night.. which would you choose to show them as their first night ever at WDW (we wont be doing rides or dinner first night):

1. Illuminations (and walking around a few countries and seeing Epcot all lit up in christmas colors)

2. Wishes (and seeing Spectro Magic while there)

Hmm.. Very tough decision for me.

PS : Any idea what time MK is usually open until on Sat Nights in december?

mhead

IMHO Wishes! I have only seen Illuminations once and was very disappointed - it was actually pretty boring. At first I thought it was just me but the entire family agreed that it was pretty hum drum and that while we were glad we saw it - we have no plans to see it again. Wishes and Spectro however are must do's everytime! Much more Disney "magic" to those.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

I like Illuminations better than Wishes, but I would do Wishes the first night and save Illuminations for later in the trip. There is just something about Magic Kingdom--to me, it has to be the first day.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Miss Bell said:
I like Illuminations better than Wishes, but I would do Wishes the first night and save Illuminations for later in the trip. There is just something about Magic Kingdom--to me, it has to be the first day.

That is another good point. We always do the MK first day, it is our favorite overall. It is the original park, so there is something more magical about it (at least to us). :)

Another idea, see about having some ears stiched with their names on the back left at the front desk for you when you arrive. I am sure you can pay ahead for that. They don't cost much and would add a little extra magic for them. This is assuming you are staying on property.

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

I would do Wishes and SpectroMagic the first day. There is something to be said about doing the Magic Kingdom the first day. Wishes and SpectroMagic are both what everyone thinks of what Disney World is. In other words they are both quintessential Disney World.

I feel that you have to get warmed up with the Disney type of storytelling to truly enjoy IllumiNations. Leave that for the end of the trip.

I think Wishes is a perfect beginning to a trip and IllumiNations the perfect ending. Oh, and you do not want to spoil them with the special Christmas ending to IllumiNations.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

A different point of view

On my first trip to Disney with girls from work back in 1983 or 4, after our first day one of the girls had a family emergency back home and had to fly home unexpectedly. I guess that has always stuck in my mind, because now, whenever I plan a trip, I always plan to do the things I really want to do the most as soon as I can do them. I don't subscribe to the philosophy of saving the best for last. I say, "Strike while the iron is hot".

So my suggestion is to decide which you would be most dissapointed for them to miss, and then see that one first. (I know this is a bit pessimistic, but it has prevented us from some disappointments along the way.)

For me it would be Illuminations because I love it and like Epcot better than MK overall. Plus, the night time at Epcot is just wonderful. After a long trip, that seems more relaxing and inviting to me, but obviously, everyone has their own opinion on this.

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

Since I don't like ROE as much as Wishes, I'd say do ROE first and then save the better one (In my opinion only) for the end of the trip. Plus I always like to watch the current MK fireworks show on the last night of the trip.

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

mrtoad said:
That is another good point. We always do the MK first day, it is our favorite overall. It is the original park, so there is something more magical about it (at least to us). :)

Another idea, see about having some ears stiched with their names on the back left at the front desk for you when you arrive. I am sure you can pay ahead for that. They don't cost much and would add a little extra magic for them. This is assuming you are staying on property.

That's a problem, this is their FIRST trip, not a return. Going to the MK says that all Disney entertainment is light hearted and fun full of fantasy. Don't know about you, but Test Track isn't full of fantasy.

I'm going from a complete psycological standpoint, but for the main poster, do whatever you want.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Personally, I go for Illuminations. Depends where your own personal tastes go. Wishes is more Disney Pixie Dust, traditions and cuteness. Illuminations is a more grown up serious show. But I prefer the pyros and music in Illuminations (even with the long dull-ish bit with the globe).

And Illuminations takes on a bit more when you know there is a story behind it - the creation of life and the evolution of man. The images on the globe are a little less random knowing that.

Upvote 0

rob_b

Sounds like your going during Christmas. This should be a very easy decision if Illuminations has the Christmas tag at the end.

I like the Christmas ending better then the show. Illuminations Christmas all the way!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

OK here is a theory for ya, BOTH!!!! I love Wishes but during that period of time I do MVMCP so I catch Wishes along with the perimeter fireworks as well as a great way to get into the holiday spirit!!!! Snow on Main Street...does it get any better??
As far as Illuminations I will be seeing that after the Candlelight Processional which is also only done at that time of the year. Well worth looking into doing both!!! Belle

Upvote 0

imagineer99

Well, IllumiNations is the better show...hands down. The music alone elevates it to a far superior level.

So...I'd choose that. Plus, I think EPCOT is more picturesque at night (and much more relaxing).

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Wow, what a question.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Wishes' storyline and music will be familiar to your moms, and the effects are top-notch. If you can't decide, this is a good default answer.

That being said, the last five minutes of Illuminations' holiday version is just plain cool. So many fireworks are exploding, for so long, that the ground shakes beneath your feet. Seeing it last year was one of the few "wow" moments I've had in WDW recently (the other one I can remember: first time on Soarin').

The pyro group in WDW has done quite a bit of good work lately.

Len

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I'm assuming that you're planning on seeing both Wishes and Illuminations while you're at WDW. If thats the case I'd see Wishes first, leaving the best (Illuminations) 'til last

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom