What Will Happen To Star Wars Launch Bay When Star Wars Land Opens

Amidala

Toy Story has had 3 very successful movies and is probably the most popular Disney (not even just Pixar) movie of all time...Monsters Inc. has one good movie and a so-so prequel. Not the same.

To be fair, at least Monsters Inc. has a fully realized "world" with recognizable landmarks that imagineers could replicate. You could argue that Monsters Inc. doesn't have the footprint that Toy Story does as a franchise, but IMO Monstropolis would be a more effective land than a child's backyard in middle America.

All hypothetical anyway, obviously. But I'm pretty neutral on this...Unless the IP choice is totally thematically inappropriate (and w/ DHS's theme literally being "movies" that would be pretty hard to do in this case), I'm open to pretty much anything. The quality and creativity that goes into a land will usually define it more so than the IP itself. I mean, look at Radiator Springs.

Eckert

To be fair, at least Monsters Inc. has a fully realized "world" with recognizable landmarks that imagineers could replicate. You could argue that Monsters Inc. doesn't have the footprint that Toy Story does as a franchise, but IMO Monstropolis would be a more effective land than a child's backyard in middle America.

All hypothetical anyway, obviously. But I'm pretty neutral on this...Unless the IP choice is totally thematically inappropriate (and w/ DHS's theme literally being "movies" that would be pretty hard to do in this case), I'm open to pretty much anything. The quality and creativity that goes into a land will usually define it more so than the IP itself. I mean, look at Radiator Springs.
I totally agree, I think that Monstropolis could have the potential to be great, but I don't think it warrants the removal of Rockin' Roller Coaster like that picture suggested. I'd love for Monstropolis and Ride and Go Seek could fit in the Animation Courtyard just right! (RIP Mermaid)

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Could the Disney Jr theatre be repurposed for the Laugh Floor, or is there a technological complication? Supposedly, a Monstropolis would eat up Walt Disney Presents, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Disney Jr, Star Wars Launch Bay, either retrofitting or replacing. It doesn't need to extend to RRC.

Karakasa

Honestly, I don't know if it WILL be removed, and if it is I expect it to show up in Tomorrowland. When people think Star Wars, they think Darth Vader. Kids seem to love Kylo Ren and Rey too. Given Galaxy's Edge is supposed to take place at a time when Vader is dead and Kylo and Rey are busy training, they wouldn't be available for meet and greets there. So they'll need a place to meet outside of GE.

I'd be fine, of course, if they bent canon and let the three of them show up at GE, but with how hardass Lucasfilm and indeed the fans can be about canon, it isn't likely.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly, I don't know if it WILL be removed, and if it is I expect it to show up in Tomorrowland. When people think Star Wars, they think Darth Vader. Kids seem to love Kylo Ren and Rey too. Given Galaxy's Edge is supposed to take place at a time when Vader is dead and Kylo and Rey are busy training, they wouldn't be available for meet and greets there. So they'll need a place to meet outside of GE.

I'd be fine, of course, if they bent canon and let the three of them show up at GE, but with how hardass Lucasfilm and indeed the fans can be about canon, it isn't likely.
I think it MAY be an example of Mickey can only be perceived to be in one place at any given time, so if you have Obi Wan Kenobi and Captain Phasma in two different places where they can't be seen in the same place... This is a remote planet on the edge of the galaxy.

Amidala

I totally agree, I think that Monstropolis could have the potential to be great, but I don't think it warrants the removal of Rockin' Roller Coaster like that picture suggested. I'd love for Monstropolis and Ride and Go Seek could fit in the Animation Courtyard just right! (RIP Mermaid)

Totally with you here. I'd hate to see RnR removed completely (and don't think it likely when it's one of few thrill rides at WDW, and a necessary way to draw guests away from SW:GE) but can't imagine it being rethemed into something so G-Rated.

Not to mention that a coaster based on "riding the doors" in Monsters Inc. is such an incredibly cool concept, I would hate to see RnR repurposed to fit it. If this coaster ever actually was made, a more family-friendly coaster with hanging seats and animatronics throughout would have the potential to wow IMO.

I think insiders have hinted that Launch Bay will be changed or removed completely by 2019 (from here)
  • Little Mermaid could be replaced when TSL opens in 2018. Launch Bay changed in 2019 or even sooner. Disney Jr. is safe. [likely]
Personally I would be shocked if they left it. I'm sure people enjoy Launch Bay now, but won't half as much once SW:GE opens. And between GE and Star Tours (which I'm sure is on its way out too, but probably not as soon as Launch Bay), I can't see Launch Bay being considered a necessity.

Not sure if the space is large enough for an in-depth attraction, but I'm assuming whatever goes in there won't be Star Wars-related. I really do miss the Animators Academy, and still think it can "work" within Animation Courtyard even if DHS is no longer a functioning studio...but doubt we'll be seeing that make a comeback.

Last edited:

po1998

I think Launch Bay closes when SWL opens, and then proceeds to just sit shuttered for years on end. After all, there is so much to do at DHS, there is no need for a new attraction where Launch Bay is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom