what will happen to haunted mansion?

WRE4ever

Original Poster
I dont know if this has been discussed but......are the same changes to the dl version happening to hm in wdw? the whole bride update i think is pretty cool.

Dukeblue1016

What was the bride update???

I was gonna respond claiming to be renting it out for the summer and turning it into my summer-party house... but then I realized I need to stop being an idiot...

CaptainMichael

Dukeblue1016 said:

I was gonna respond claiming to be renting it out for the summer and turning it into my summer-party house... but then I realized I need to stop being an idiot...
Good call.

The bride update is very cool. I don't really know how to describe it though. I think if you do a search, you will find what you are looking for.

CThaddeus

Dukeblue1016 said:

The attic scene has been changed so that the bride is now the main focus of the attraction. There are photos of her weddings to a number of men (seven, I think), and as you pass them, their heads disappear. The bride has been updated as well, and now has a projection face similar to the Leotas. She is also holding a hatchet, instead of a candle. Basically, they've made it a bit darker of an attraction.

TP2000

It's not over yet.

The next update for Haunted Mansion gets installed next week. They are going to be using digital projections in the Seance Circle room of the same grooms from the wedding portraits in the attic. These grooms will be trying to "cross over to the other side" at Leota's urging, sort of tying it in to the changes and new plotline of the attic with all of those dead husbands.

And then, after that, comes new digitially rendered hitchhiking ghosts at the end of the ride that interact with the real people riding in the doombuggies more convincingly.

The technology behind this attic update is really the most impressive. It's a very, very cool thing to see. And I'm not that much of a Haunted Mansion fan. I've always been more of a Tiki Room or Pirates of the Caribbean kind of a guy.

As for if these changes come to WDW, who knows? The nifty floating Leota effect in the seance circle debuted at Disneyland well over a year ago, and that still hasn't been installed in WDW yet either.

Grim Grinner

I just got back from E3 during which time I hit Disneyland for the first time. Of course the Haunted Mansion was something for us to not miss.

The loading cue is a bit longer and features some effects that have been put into "our" version's actual ride. As such, the DL ride seems much shorter as a result.

I had known of the new attic changes ahead of time, so I knew what to expect.

The photos with the disappearing heads are awesome. The bride herself has the goofiest face on her. In her hands is a bouquet of flowers, but they transform into an axe as she speaks. Every time I rode, the timing of the axe appearing was off to the effect was lost on my wife. I knew to look for it, and barely got a glimpse anyways.

BTW- The floating Leota head is kinda cool on a technical level, but it somehow detracts from the scene.

I enjoyed my DL trip very much, but I missed Epcot more than anything else.

tink81

I am so ed that I only got to see the Halloween version of DL's Haunted Masion. Not that it wasn't cool, but so much of the ride is covered up by the Nightmare before Christmas stuff, that I totally missed the effects you all are talking about! Oh wel, guess I'll have to go back someday...

MomofKatie

How do the new "bride as killer" effects jive to the origional story, though? Wasn't the origional plotline that the Bride was killed by her jealous husband? I think the new effects sound neat, but I don't quite understand how changing such an important plotpoint can let the rest of the ride remain faithful to the story.

CoffeeJedi

MomofKatie said:
How do the new "bride as killer" effects jive to the origional story, though? Wasn't the origional plotline that the Bride was killed by her jealous husband? I think the new effects sound neat, but I don't quite understand how changing such an important plotpoint can let the rest of the ride remain faithful to the story.
kinda sorta not really :)
The manse never really had a strong plot, just a vague story about a "retirement home" for ghosts. In the planning stages, they went though several idea about murdered brides and pirate-sea captains, but no definitive version ever came about. What's out there on the web is just "fanon", or fan-canon, made up by fans and CM's.
Oddly enough though, the fan-storylines for the DL and WDW versions differ, even though the attractions weren't THAT much different before these updates.

(lets not even talk about the movie's plot... wait? did i say movie? what Haunted Mansion movie? nope, never made one :lookaroun)

/hey, Charlotte! w00t!

MomofKatie

CoffeeJedi said:
The manse never really had a strong plot, just a vague story about a "retirement home" for ghosts. In the planning stages, they went though several idea about murdered brides and pirate-sea captains, but no definitive version ever came about. What's out there on the web is just "fanon", or fan-canon, made up by fans and CM's.
Oddly enough though, the fan-storylines for the DL and WDW versions differ, even though the attractions weren't THAT much different before these updates.

(lets not even talk about the movie's plot... wait? did i say movie? what Haunted Mansion movie? nope, never made one :lookaroun)

OK, that clears it up for me. I thought the "unofficial" version was what the Imagineers came up with.

Movie? What movie? There was no movie, was there? Move along- nothing to see here. We know of no such alleged movie:D .

WRE4ever

Original Poster
i didn't know about the sieance room changes...that does sound really cool i hope it does end up in wdw..but i geuss it wont happen till after the potc update

TP2000

WRE4ever said:
i didn't know about the sieance room changes...that does sound really cool i hope it does end up in wdw..but i geuss it wont happen till after the potc update

Why wait? If they did it like they've been installing this in Disneyland, the ride doesn't have to close. Over the past few weeks the new effects were installed in the attic, and covered up by sheets as if they were just part of the props already there. Only diehard Mansion fans who visit the Park weekly even knew something was up with the props covered by sheets; the average person didn't even notice anything. Then, one day, it all got turned on, the sheets were removed and the new "show" began in the attic. They were able to install it in bits and pieces overnight, and do all the testing, without causing the attraction to be closed to paying customers during the regular park operating hours.

This was at the same time that Pirates was shut down in early March for it's major refurbishment, so Pirates has been closed while all this was going on at Haunted Mansion.

The same thing is happening currently with the new changes coming the end of the month for the Seance Circle room.

You don't have to close Haunted Mansion to install this stuff and get it all up and running. It just takes several weeks because you have to do everything overnight.

PaisleyMF

CoffeeJedi said:

/hey, Charlotte! w00t!

Actually the Haunted Mansion has a plot and a strong story line. Is based on a imposible love story (like Romeo and Juliet) and is the basis of that "never made" (take out the Eddie Murphy plot and keep the back story)

terp79

not soon enough....

So the West Coast Mansion fans are in uber heaven with the new additions but as for WDW it'll take some time to see the updates and that's if we're lucky.

You see more annual passholders for DL than WDW. Therefore you have more of a daily basis of guests that are viewed as regulars on the West Coast. These additions keep annual passholders coming back for more. Seeing how WDW is more of a vacation spot many things will never make it or take some time to get to FL. When people plan a visit to Disney they go to WDW (the theme park Mecca) unless they're on the West Coast so Imagineer's think that additions and layovers are tricky and risky. That's why WDW doesn't have the holiday layovers for Small World or Haunted Mansion.

Many fans out there really want to see these additions and layovers make their way to WDW but I think it'll take some time. I do believe that WDW will get the Mansion updates sometime after DL's Mansion updates are done but as for the layovers i doubt it will happen anytime soon. Who knows though?!?!?!? Alot of families visit WDW durring the holidaze, my family has. I do know that some die hard fans have expressed their feelings on not wanting the Christmas layovers and Imagineers take that to heart.

Imagineers are thinking ahead...like they do. All the talk about the Halloween Season and new ideas for the park will hopefully begin to draw more of Orlando's people out and back into the parks. If WDW can gain bigger annual passholder numbers then guests could eventually see layovers.

Disneyland is the original and they always get the newest and brightest toys first unless it's a major project like EE (that can only be implemented at WDW). Disneyland is viewed as a testing ground for new attractions. If the attractions gain popularity then they are reworked and redesigned for the other parks i.e. Monsters, Inc.

You might be asking yourself then why is POTC being updated at both parks. The answer is the fanbase of the movie and the sequel that hits theaters this summer. No doubt it will be the box office hit of the summer. Therefore more money backing up these updates.

Some people do it for improvement
Some people do it for the movement
Some people do it for enjoyment
Some people do it for employment

ScrapIron

tink81 said:
I am so ed that I only got to see the Halloween version of DL's Haunted Masion. Not that it wasn't cool, but so much of the ride is covered up by the Nightmare before Christmas stuff, that I totally missed the effects you all are talking about! Oh wel, guess I'll have to go back someday...
The effects being discussed have only appeared within the last few weeks, so you wouldn't have seen them anyway.

Cheers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom