What will happen to Discovery Island?

Tank Man

Original Poster
Discovery Island was a island inside the WDW resort that was south of the Magic Kingdom. It was like a zoo and now today has been left dead and unused for decade now. River Country has been like that for almost two decades but now is turning into a hotel but what about Discovery island. The future of it unknown as some brave explorers look inside it and risk being banned from the Disney parks. A sad thing is that it still is overrun by Crows and might be left abounded for years to come. Does anyone know if there is a chance of it being renewed or worked on to at least be gone. Do they have something on the table that could possibly do something with the island.

mergatroid

I have no idea but there's no reason why they can't just leave it. It's not in the way or a prime retail estate location, the majority of people visiting probably have no knowledge of it whatsoever.

zurgandfriend

I believe it has been declared a bird sanctuary and off limits. Somewhere on this site, or elsewhere on line, there are pictures by someone ventured over without permission. My DW and I visited Discovery Island before DAK was opened. Discovery Island was also used as a holding area for some animals before DAK opened. That’s all I know.

Tank Man

Original Poster
I have no idea but there's no reason why they can't just leave it. It's not in the way or a prime retail estate location, the majority of people visiting probably have no knowledge of it whatsoever.
I first learned of it when I went after asking what that island was about, but the thing is I wonder what they would do with it as people don’t remember River Country as well but they are replacing it with a hotel

Tank Man

Original Poster
I believe it has been declared a bird sanctuary and off limits. Somewhere on this site, or elsewhere on line, there are pictures by someone ventured over without permission. My DW and I visited Discovery Island before DAK was opened. Discovery Island was also used as a holding area for some animals before DAK opened. That’s all I know.
I heard it was closed because Crows invaded the island and still are there today which could explain the bird sanctuary thing.

bUU

This. A good part of why it closed is that it wasn't well-placed real estate. It's so bad in that regard that I wouldn't be surprised if it was the last acres of the property to be (re)developed.

Cmdr_Crimson

Image result for conch nothing gif

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not expect anything to happen with it anytime in the near or even distant future. In all honesty, I don't expect guests to ever set foot on the island again. There are just way too many logistical hoops to jump through for both construction, operation and maintenance.

John park hopper

Discovery Island was a great place to get out of the heat and crowds. Been to Discovery Island many times-- was sad to see it abandoned. Correct me if I am wrong it was closed when AK opened. seems to be a prime piece of ground for something to be built.

Dragonman

I know there were still vultures there during one of the documented urbexes
You can see several birds in the Sonswa video as well. Any employee who’s caught on the island will be terminated immediately from what I’ve heard. The least they could do is clean all the abandoned crap out of there and let nature just reclaim it while the birds can live there happily in a better environment.

JIMINYCR

Those of us who are armchair Imagineers could come up with a multitude of ways Disney could build on the area to enhace our Disney experience. Sooo many possibilities .... but unfortunately we dont have control over the money or the input to influence decisions. So we continue to look at the wasted space and think of what might have been as it sit rotting away, providing homes for all sorts of creatures.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Those of us who are armchair Imagineers could come up with a multitude of ways Disney could build on the area to enhace our Disney experience. Sooo many possibilities .... but unfortunately we dont have control over the money or the input to influence decisions. So we continue to look at the wasted space and think of what might have been as it sit rotting away, providing homes for all sorts of creatures.
*says armchair imagineering*
7476FED6-CF24-4380-989B-D409A0E99604.jpeg

I came to these forums and found a lot ignored things and lots of answers to my question and so I started my account. I do a lot of armchair imagineering and speculation as the only people I found info from are on these forums besides a friend who is in WDW who says nothing. So I really get no info. So he is not an insider then.

JIMINYCR

I had never played it, but it was some sort of computer puzzle game. Sounds like the attraction would save be an early Escape type thing
It was a computer game on the Mac computer that was very popular. It involved a lot of various puzzles, some simple, some intricate that needed solving. You went through a variety of worlds using click and drag to interact. I found it enjoyable and wasted lots of hours playing when I was younger.

Attachments

• MystCover.png
    MystCover.png
    109 KB · Views: 48

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
*says armchair imagineering*
View attachment 392758
I came to these forums and found a lot ignored things and lots of answers to my question and so I started my account. I do a lot of armchair imagineering and speculation as the only people I found info from are on these forums besides a friend who is in WDW who says nothing. So I really get no info. So he is not an insider then.

We have a section for that

Go nuts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom