What will be the next change in an attraction?

What attraction do you think is most likely to change at WDW?

• American Adventure

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Country Bear Jamboree

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • Carousel of Progress

• Jungle Cruise

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Hall of Presidents

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Haunted Mansion

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (again)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (post below)

• Tom Sawyer Island

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Raineman

I’d honestly say with everyone going on w WDW, current event related or no, they have enough irons in the fire that I don’t really see any knee jerk reactions causing them to completely uproot any more existing rides, absent someone finding concrete evidence that...carousel of progress is deeply rooted in racism (this is a complete made up hypothetical BTW) they’ve got enough going on trying to figure out what to do in the current and post Covid world that even existing plans for change will likely be delayed years, or not happen at all.

agreed- this is more representative of the OAN/Infowars/ Unite the Right message boards than an accurate sample of WDW fans.
Please don't compare all people who disagree with the Splash Mountain changes to far right racist extremists. This is getting tiring. Just because people disagree with what is being changed doesn't mean we don't recognize the issues in our society and the need to change them. As I explained in my post above, changing an attraction that has ties to an old film that the majority of the population didn't know existed does NOTHING to help stop racism, it does NOTHING to promote equality. There are other things that Disney could do that would help to bring about real change, and changing the theme of an attraction is just an attempt at placating the public.

DisneyTalks

Looks like I was the only one who has said Tiki Room so far, but to be honest (and this may be unpopular around here) that is the one and only attraction at Disney that I actually do find sort of cringeworthy and uncomfortable. The accents of the four birds in the beginning are extremely stereotypical, which I know is just a product of its time, but I think Tiki Room would be very easy to keep the same but just swap out the voices.
I think that’s a ridiculous statement. I’m Hispanic and whenever I watch the Tiki Room, in no way am I offended because I know it’s rooted in fun and wholeheartedness. Disney didn’t make Tiki room to offend people.

graphite1326

I picked HM. They always change my favorites and turn it in to an IP attraction. So they will turn it into "Pluto Runs Away" or something like that.

graphite1326

I don't agree with a good portion of your statement, but I will give you the biggest issue I have with this whole situation. We had the auction scene change in POTC 2 years ago, and now the Splash Mountain change. We have begun sliding down a slippery slope here, and all it could take in the future is one small element of an attraction/park/resort to be identified as linked to something negative from the past, something only a minority of WDW guests would possibly find offensive, and the outcry begins. If you looked deep enough, you could probably find at least one small, insignificant element in every corner of WDW that could "trigger" someone. Why should Disney bow to the vocal minority? How does changing these attractions even remotely help the causes that people are fighting for as we speak? Disney could make a much larger contribution to these causes by donating time and money that will advance the causes. This myopic view that is being taken here is wrong, and it is essentially turning a blind eye to the real problems in our society and attempting to throw a weak blanket solution that barely covers the issues and does nothing to solve them.
Well said.

And now when are they going to start removing the presidents from HotP that are a little controversial? More than a few of the first were slave owners.

mf1972

not an attraction, but i’d like to add donald & daisy duck to the list. 1 can argue he might encourage people to walk around half naked without any repercussions. which in some cases, that might not be a bad thing 🤪

Paper straw fan

Please don't compare all people who disagree with the Splash Mountain changes to far right racist extremists. This is getting tiring. Just because people disagree with what is being changed doesn't mean we don't recognize the issues in our society and the need to change them. As I explained in my post above, changing an attraction that has ties to an old film that the majority of the population didn't know existed does NOTHING to help stop racism, it does NOTHING to promote equality. There are other things that Disney could do that would help to bring about real change, and changing the theme of an attraction is just an attempt at placating the public.

That was more about this site as a whole, as it swings far to the right, with the most frequent commenters as well as the site mods. So yeah, nearly every opinion here gripping onto a past that’s becoming obsolete... well, you see it here and you pretty much can visualize the red MAGA hat and/or the clutched pearls on the commenter.

As I’ve said before, I love Splash, but I have long recognized that the theme of the ride could be considered a bit too minstrelsy for some. Honestly, had they made small updates like that years ago, we may not be facing a complete overhaul.

But I’d still rather they modify it now, and get 3 more decades of this ride, than cling to a questionable theme and get torn down in the coming years.

To stay on topic, I don’t know what will be next. But I do know what will be last:

The Partners statue.
It will be fascinating to read how people tie themselves into knots trying to justify tearing down the founder and his best-loved creation.

AugieMorosco

Based on this forum and other reactions online in the last week or two, there are alot more people viewing these changes as unneeded than there are people seeing this as progress. But hey, I'll just keep on looking at the facts, unlike the "progressive" people that are demanding these changes.
If you're basing it on these forums and Facebook, you're getting a very skewed perspective. Loudest, most aggressive voices may not be the majority.

AugieMorosco

They can close Jungle Cruise, pave over it and put in a giant smoking section for all I care. It’s been coasting on its kitsch for decades
Sidebar: I posted this story once before somewhere on these forums, but whatever. My "first" Disney trip was a single day in 2017 to Disneyland Park. Wife and I had both gone to WDW as small children but neither had any real memories of our trip. Both had divorced parents without much income, so it wasn't an option during the rest of our childhood or young adulthood. Our very first attraction was Jungle Cruise and the skipper we had absolutely killed it. He was brilliant and hilarious, and I'd never heard the jokes, so I was laughing like an idiot. It kicked off the greatest day ever. A year later we took my dad and went on JC, which I'd built up talking about our last experience, and the skipper was utterly terrible. I went on and on about how great our other skipper was and we needed to find that guy. We walked by JC a few more times and looked at the boats loading, but no sign of my sought after skipper. Later in the day, we are standing in line for Dole Whips by the entrance to Adventureland, and I'd consumed some adult beverages, so that was doing its thing. I feel a tap on my shoulder, I turn around and no one is there (the old tap right side and go around the left bit). My dad says "do you know that guy?" I turn back and see that it's the skipper! I asked "that's who tapped me?" My dad confirmed. He'd randomly tapped me in the shoulder walking by. I am trying to explain to my poor dad that I don't know him, but that's they guy I'd been telling him about all day. All while slightly buzzed. It was a surreal scene. No skipper since has been anywhere close. I'm going back to DL next summer (2021) and I'm really hoping he's still there.

Paper straw fan

Nice. Very cool story! - yeah I over sell it, but I’d concur that many times these rides are what you make of them. I like Living with the Land, hardly an exciting ride, but it’s enjoyable because we make it so. So I hear you. I don’t really think that ride would go anywhere though. I’d assume Disney wants as many rides as possible that all guests can ride, and JC fits that bill.

manmythlegend

On the actual topic, I think Jungle Cruise may be changed again, or possibly Peter Pan.

Off the topic -

I don't think Disney feels the need to bow to anyone. If I'm a commercial business like Disney, and I'm interested in bringing in business from the younger generations, it makes sense to make my product as appealing as possible to the younger consumers. Last I checked, the majority of Americans actually do support BLM and specifically "longstanding concerns about the treatment of black people in our country." (Source: https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/202...-support-for-the-black-lives-matter-movement/)

How is it bad that Princess and the Frog gets an attraction at Disney? Or that some other ride gets updated? I get that a lot of people don't see anything outright racist in Splash Mountain. But it is based on Song of the South, and the characters the ride contains do have a history beyond Disney and that film. Regardless of whether you believe the current Splash Mountain is problematic, it is a good thing that Disney has begun portraying more minorities in their films and other media, including in the Parks. It is important that children see people that look like them in the media they consume, and it is also important that children see people who don't look like them in the media they consume. And that includes books, tv, video games, films, music, theme parks, etc. It is important that old stereotypes do not continue to be normalized. Normalization of prejudice makes overt racism and systemic racism possible. I think these changes do directly help the causes that people are fighting for as we speak. If you think the protests are just about how some police treat Black people, I think you're mistaken.

When my four-year-old asked me last year where the characters from Splash Mountain came from, I told her they were from an old movie, but that wasn't really a complete answer. What if your kid is 8 or 10 or you're an adult? Do we just pretend that the characters aren't actually a representation of storytelling from Africa? Do we not care and just enjoy the ride? Do we have the discussion about where the characters came from and how they have been interpreted through history? I guess it depends on who you are and what your perspective is.

PatF could have gotten its own ride while also keeping Splash Mountain as is. Rides can get updated but Splash is generally regarded as a fan favorite so of all the rides that needed updating, Splash certainly isn't the one to touch.

It's a Small World could have been re-themed for PatF quite easily honestly.

Homemade Imagineering

PatF could have gotten its own ride while also keeping Splash Mountain as is. Rides can get updated but Splash is generally regarded as a fan favorite so of all the rides that needed updating, Splash certainly isn't the one to touch.

It's a Small World could have been re-themed for PatF quite easily honestly.
That last sentence would be it for me. I wouldn’t go near a Disney park if IASW left. Replacing the attraction would just be a horrible move, since the attraction stands for equality and everything against racism. If they feel that they need to fix anything due to stereotype issues, they can easily do so, because the message is still there and it’s not tied to a problematic IP. Same with every other attraction that may face a change or two, not a replacement.

manmythlegend

That last sentence would be it for me. I wouldn’t go near a Disney park if IASW left. Replacing the attraction would just be a horrible move, since the attraction stands for equality and everything against racism. If they feel that they need to fix anything due to stereotype issues, they can easily do so, because the message is still there and it’s not tied to a problematic IP. Same with every other attraction that may face a change or two, not a replacement.

It doesn't have to be IASMW but Splash is certainly more beloved than IASMW. Also, I didn't mention the ride for stereotyping issues. The post I responded to simply said rides are updated. Updating does not equate with making something politically correct. Updating simply means changing a ride that no longer has a lot of fan enthusiasm. Splash is a Top 3 ride for most people, it's an iconic ride.

PurpleMan

In the Parks
No
Why would they have to change the American Adventure? It already has Frederick Douglass addressing the topic of slavery and they even added Beyonce (even though I don't think she belongs there) to the ending montage during the 2018 refurb.

PurpleMan

In the Parks
No
So slavery and Black people only deserve two mentions in summarizing America's history?
It's better than nothing. I mean what were you expecting? Blacks make up only 13% of the US population so it wouldn't make sense to have the entire show dedicated to them not to mention they don't make up a majority of WDW's customer base.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom