What will be the next change in an attraction?

What attraction do you think is most likely to change at WDW?

• American Adventure

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Country Bear Jamboree

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • Carousel of Progress

• Jungle Cruise

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Hall of Presidents

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Haunted Mansion

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (again)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (post below)

• Tom Sawyer Island

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

FettFan

Based on this forum and other reactions online in the last week or two, there are alot more people viewing these changes as unneeded than there are people seeing this as progress. But hey, I'll just keep on looking at the facts, unlike the "progressive" people that are demanding these changes.

Personally I think "progress" would be mercy killing Tom Sawyer Island and building something substantial there.
Like a WDW incarnation of New Orleans Square and the Louisiana Bayou. TSI has plenty of land, you'd just have to finagle some logistics and voila, something substantial.

Maybe I'm just cynical and jaded, but it seems to me like Splash Mountain's re-theme was less about doing justice to a really good movie and more like DisneyCo saying "Hey black people, are we cool now?"

Think about it...how many people actually like Tron? (other than fat middle-aged nerds on YouTube)
hqdefault.jpg

Nobody actually likes Tron.

Tron is boring.
Tron can't hold an audience.
Tron's trilogy was cancelled after Tron Legacy underperformed.

And yet THAT gets a brand-spanking new roller coaster. They didn't decide to close and re-imagine Space for it.
No. Brand new.

Willmark

Pulled from another thread.

People should be starting to make peace with changes to the following IMO (in no particular order other than the first):

1. Splash Mountain- confirmed 6-25-20
2. American Adventure
3. Hall of Presidents
4. Country Bear Jamboree
5. Whoop De Doo Review
6. Carousel of Progress
7. It's a Small World
8. Peter Pan's Flight
9. Tom Sawyer’s Island and the Riverboat, really includes Rivers of America too.
10. Entrance to Adventure land or possibly Adventureland itself.
11. Plantation Buildings at Riverside
12. Aladdin
13. Tiki Torch Room
14. Jungle Safari
15. Animal Kingdom as a whole
16. Frontierland
17. Fort Wilderness
18. BTMRR- no IP to sell currently; re-themed to Woody from Toy Story in the future.
19. Space Mt- like BTMRR except re-themed to something with Buzz Lightyear.
20. POTC

EDIT: this list isnt all encompassing just ones that are obvious to change.
EDIT #2: added POTC. I hope people don’t think the changes are done there.

Last edited:
17. Fort Wilderness
Been expecting them to doze the campground for years. The land it sits on is valuable, I'm sure Bob and Little Bob are salivating over the thought of another soulless DVC property.

If you happen to be in WDW during Halloween, the kids can trick or treat at the campsites. People decorate their RV's. It's very cool, in a warm, wholesome kind of way. A real gem of an event, that never gets advertised.

I hate to think of the campground being on the chopping block.
Welcome to 2020. It really is becoming WDSJW.

Mr Mindcrime

but the attraction as it is invites political conflict into a theme park setting by spotlighting the current president. Returning to something similar to the pre-1993 version reduces that conflict while retaining the spirit of the attraction
I'm not a fan of all of these PC-Twitter led changes in our world, but I actually agree with this comment 100%. Given the divided (and growing) state of our country, highlighting the current President, whoever it may be, might not be a great idea. Maybe the attraction should just focus on Presidents and their history (for better or worse) in our country. Let Abe speak and no one else. Let the attraction focus on where we've been and where we'd like to go and avoid politics as they are destroying us.

UNCgolf

There's really no reason to change this. Those buildings weren't exclusive to slave plantations in the American south; they're a specific type of architecture that existed in many different places. They also already changed the theme of the resort. Beyond that, those buildings are full of rooms themed to the Princess and the Frog.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, of course, but I think it's incredibly unlikely. I would not expect a change there.

Parker in NYC

Because it's inevitable that more unneeded changes will happen due to societal pressure from a small minority of the population, and this thread is a way for people to discuss which unneeded change they think will happen next?

There are plenty of other threads already established. But I guess this will go the way of the COVID threads. And threads. And threads.

Now you’ll say to ignore them. Fat chance when it’s ALL there is to see.

thomas998

The Haunted Mansion and its glorification of suicide is probably the next one the woke folk will go after. The next time some kid happens to kill them self and god forbid do it within a week of going to Disney they'll be out blaming the Haunted Mansion for giving the kid the idea or some other nonsense.

Raineman

Pulled from another thread.

People should be starting to make peace with changes to the following IMO:

1. Splash Mountain- confirmed 6-25-20
2. American Adventure
3. Hall of Presidents
4. Country Bear Jamboree
5. Whoop De Doo Review
6. Carousel of Progress
7. It's a Small World
8. Peter Pan's Flight
9. Tom Sawyer’s Island and the Riverboat, really includes Rivers of America too.
10. Entrance to Adventure land or possibly Adventureland itself.
12. Aladdin
13. Tiki Torch Room
14. Jungle Safari
15. Animal Kingdom as a whole
16. Frontierland
17. Fort Wilderness
18. BTMRR- no IP to sell currently; tethered to Wooody from Toy Story in the future.
19. Space Mt- like BTMRR except rethemed to something with Buzz Lightyear.
20. POTC

EDIT: this list is all encompassing just ones that are obvious to change.
EDIT: this list is all encompassing just ones that are obvious to change.

EDIT #2: added POTC. I hope people don’t think the changes are done there.
If even some of these changes happen, I am done with Walt Disney World. Done. For good. The “Woke” generation can have it.

Paper straw fan

It’s funny that people on here revere the wholesomeness of Disney (seriously, I’ve seen people on here call The Simpson’s “pure filth” as if it’s Richard Pryor’s snuff film) and then when they try to actually be just minimal amounts of wholesome, and appeal to the broadest spectrum of people, get full on butthurt by it. Yes, it’s a company now completely ran to maximize stockholder profit, and yes, that part is kind of lame, but no, it’s not going to stop. But sometimes it’s good, they can’t just run a nostalgia park, reminiscent of times that a growing number of people in this country don’t consider ‘the good ol’ days’ and not expect to get their rear ends handed to them by Universal and the like.
If people want to stop giving Disney their money, Im sure they’ll find someone to replace you.

nokahoma

Sadly it’s not even shocking how many people on this board seem to think that removing a theme park ride’s connection to a boring 75-year-old movie rooted in white supremacy is somehow the death of Disney World.

There’s absolutely no reason to think any of the other attractions in the original post will be changed for “political” reasons except for the Jungle Cruise’s native scenes—and like Splash Mountain, that change would be based less on actual politics and more on not wanting to offend people by perpetuating old, obsolete racist stereotypes.

NelleBelle

Personally I think "progress" would be mercy killing Tom Sawyer Island and building something substantial there.
Like a WDW incarnation of New Orleans Square and the Louisiana Bayou. TSI has plenty of land, you'd just have to finagle some logistics and voila, something substantial.

Maybe I'm just cynical and jaded, but it seems to me like Splash Mountain's re-theme was less about doing justice to a really good movie and more like DisneyCo saying "Hey black people, are we cool now?"

Think about it...how many people actually like Tron? (other than fat middle-aged nerds on YouTube)
hqdefault.jpg

Tron is boring.

And yet THAT gets a brand-spanking new roller coaster. They didn't decide to close and re-imagine Space for it.
No. Brand new.
Geez, did you place a bet on Tron's box-office earnings and lose? My skinny DH and 2 teenage sons and myself actually like Tron. Especially the the originial Tron. Guess we're all "nerds" in your book. We're just happy there will be a new ride to enjoy next time we visit. Hopefully the current rides will be left alone.

Raineman

Sadly it’s not even shocking how many people on this board seem to think that removing a theme park ride’s connection to a boring 75-year-old movie rooted in white supremacy is somehow the death of Disney World.

There’s absolutely no reason to think any of the other attractions in the original post will be changed for “political” reasons except for the Jungle Cruise’s native scenes—and like Splash Mountain, that change would be based less on actual politics and more on not wanting to offend people by perpetuating old, obsolete racist stereotypes.
I don't agree with a good portion of your statement, but I will give you the biggest issue I have with this whole situation. We had the auction scene change in POTC 2 years ago, and now the Splash Mountain change. We have begun sliding down a slippery slope here, and all it could take in the future is one small element of an attraction/park/resort to be identified as linked to something negative from the past, something only a minority of WDW guests would possibly find offensive, and the outcry begins. If you looked deep enough, you could probably find at least one small, insignificant element in every corner of WDW that could "trigger" someone. Why should Disney bow to the vocal minority? How does changing these attractions even remotely help the causes that people are fighting for as we speak? Disney could make a much larger contribution to these causes by donating time and money that will advance the causes. This myopic view that is being taken here is wrong, and it is essentially turning a blind eye to the real problems in our society and attempting to throw a weak blanket solution that barely covers the issues and does nothing to solve them.

SSE_King

Looks like I was the only one who has said Tiki Room so far, but to be honest (and this may be unpopular around here) that is the one and only attraction at Disney that I actually do find sort of cringeworthy and uncomfortable. The accents of the four birds in the beginning are extremely stereotypical, which I know is just a product of its time, but I think Tiki Room would be very easy to keep the same but just swap out the voices.

NickMaio

hqdefault.jpg

Tron is boring.

No. Brand new.
I LOVE TRON........it was so unbelieveable when it first came out. Going into a video game.
Still love the movies.....the sequel was just too late to the party.

aliceismad

On the actual topic, I think Jungle Cruise may be changed again, or possibly Peter Pan.

Off the topic -
Why should Disney bow to the vocal minority? How does changing these attractions even remotely help the causes that people are fighting for as we speak?

I don't think Disney feels the need to bow to anyone. If I'm a commercial business like Disney, and I'm interested in bringing in business from the younger generations, it makes sense to make my product as appealing as possible to the younger consumers. Last I checked, the majority of Americans actually do support BLM and specifically "longstanding concerns about the treatment of black people in our country." (Source: https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/202...-support-for-the-black-lives-matter-movement/)

How is it bad that Princess and the Frog gets an attraction at Disney? Or that some other ride gets updated? I get that a lot of people don't see anything outright racist in Splash Mountain. But it is based on Song of the South, and the characters the ride contains do have a history beyond Disney and that film. Regardless of whether you believe the current Splash Mountain is problematic, it is a good thing that Disney has begun portraying more minorities in their films and other media, including in the Parks. It is important that children see people that look like them in the media they consume, and it is also important that children see people who don't look like them in the media they consume. And that includes books, tv, video games, films, music, theme parks, etc. It is important that old stereotypes do not continue to be normalized. Normalization of prejudice makes overt racism and systemic racism possible. I think these changes do directly help the causes that people are fighting for as we speak. If you think the protests are just about how some police treat Black people, I think you're mistaken.

When my four-year-old asked me last year where the characters from Splash Mountain came from, I told her they were from an old movie, but that wasn't really a complete answer. What if your kid is 8 or 10 or you're an adult? Do we just pretend that the characters aren't actually a representation of storytelling from Africa? Do we not care and just enjoy the ride? Do we have the discussion about where the characters came from and how they have been interpreted through history? I guess it depends on who you are and what your perspective is.

Paper straw fan

I’d honestly say with everyone going on w WDW, current event related or no, they have enough irons in the fire that I don’t really see any knee jerk reactions causing them to completely uproot any more existing rides, absent someone finding concrete evidence that...carousel of progress is deeply rooted in racism (this is a complete made up hypothetical BTW) they’ve got enough going on trying to figure out what to do in the current and post Covid world that even existing plans for change will likely be delayed years, or not happen at all.

Fellas, this board isn't close to being representative of all or most Disney parks fans. And it's especially not representative of the views of the general public.

agreed- this is more representative of the OAN/Infowars/ Unite the Right message boards than an accurate sample of WDW fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom