What was so Great About Epcot's Horizons?

nibblesandbits

That's really an interesting point. Disney seems to WANT to do thrill rides w/o going really ***** to the wall with them. EE is beautifully themed and is a fantastic ride, but it's not really comparable to Incredible Hulk in terms of thrills. The one time Disney REALLY went for thrills (Mission Space) they get hammered with bad publicity when guests (who frankly, should not have been on the ride due to medical conditions they were, and in some cases were not, aware of) get sick or worse. They tried to step outside the box and do something a little different with a thrill ride and they got crushed. Oh well, win some, lose some. I don't particularly like MS, but I don't like spinny things. I'll try the alternate version in December to see if I enjoy it more.
The alternate version definitely doesn't make you feel sick. I've ridden both. The first time I rode the spinning version, I got a little queasy, second time I rode the spinning version I didn't, and this past week, I rode the "easy" version and didn't get sick at all. You should be fine.

bigtotoro

The alternate version definitely doesn't make you feel sick. I've ridden both. The first time I rode the spinning version, I got a little queasy, second time I rode the spinning version I didn't, and this past week, I rode the "easy" version and didn't get sick at all. You should be fine.
I'm not worried about the "sick" at all. I didn't really get a chance to enjoy the attraction at all last time and I'm curious to actually check it out - the sustained 3+ g's.

minnie2000

How did you have a choice of endings? What were the different endings? As you can probably tell, I have never been on Horizons, I didn't get to go to Epcot until 2000.

Kriszee1

It was a nice ride the whole family could enjoy together, which I believe is an important factor whenyou go on a "family" vacation. Not everyone enjoys thrill rides or they have ones too young to. I loved that is smelled like oranges and picking my ending. I think I miss the family attractions in Disney most of all, it's not the nostaglia.

the-reason14

I really enjoyed this attraction and miss it. I remember riding it when I was young and couldn't really appreciate the whole jist behind it. The whole story about a new and better future. I mean, the possibilities that where displayed were really thought provaking and I think now as an adult, I can appreciate them more and really understand what kind of overall feeling and message was being sent from this attraction. I mean if I could ride it now, I would be able to really take it all in and understand it all, because wouldnt be a ride that me and my family just did to escape the heat, or a ride that was ridden because there were no lines. I mean that was true, but I could really take it all in now.

With that said, what I mentioned about no lines and only riding it to escape the heat, is a big reason why I think Mission Space is a better suit for the space now(no pun) I also really enjoy M:S, and while I do miss Horizons, I can see why people and WDI would rather have M:S at Epcot instead of Horizons. And like someone else said with all the darkrides there, they could all be looked at as the same, just with different themes. And the rides now, cant be seen as that but each a different experience. Im ok with change, but overall Im not. But it really depends on what it is. If a ride is what I consider a part of me then, yea dont touch it its mine, but if I could careless and have no me in it, then gone and gut it.

figmentstitch

Never rode Horizons, but I'm glad it was removed for Mission:Space. Mission:Space is probably the 2nd best ride at Epcot, and I know a bunch of people who now go over to Epcot that didn't just to ride it. Epcot has the three best rides in WDW: Soarin, Test Track and Mission:Space. I spend more time there than at any other park. And to those hatin' on Test Track by saying "I drive faster than that on my way to the park", you don't drive on a 50 degree bank at 65mph.

KingStefan

Never rode Horizons, but I'm glad it was removed for Mission:Space. Mission:Space is probably the 2nd best ride at Epcot, and I know a bunch of people who now go over to Epcot that didn't just to ride it. Epcot has the three best rides in WDW: Soarin, Test Track and Mission:Space. I spend more time there than at any other park. And to those hatin' on Test Track by saying "I drive faster than that on my way to the park", you don't drive on a 50 degree bank at 65mph.

OK, let me say first, that I kinda like test track. OK, 'nuf.

But, you don't go 65 and the banked section. That section is pretty cool, but the major acceleration doesn't happen until after the banked section, on the straightaway.

DisneyMusician2

Horizons was packed, and it really was kind of awe-inspiring when it debued back in the 80's.

I think I just remember riding it as a kid with nostalgia, I am not sure it would really hold up to the test of time. I'll have to watch my ultimate tribute video again and let you know.

JLW11Hi

I'm not sure its fair to assume that because many of the dark rides we have seen became dull that that makes all dark rides dull. I think if any of them became stale, its because of the fact that the technology used for these older attractions became out-of-date.

If Disney actually went out of the way to utilize the many advances in animatronics, ride staging, lighting, effects, etc, then we could see new dark rides that totally kick a$$. Unfortunately all we ever get nowadays are things like the new Journey into Imagination and Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. They simply don't take advantage of the possibilities of today's advances in dark ride technology. And then people see these newer rides, along with the older, more tired dark rides (think Fantasyland) and assume that all dark rides will always be boring.

But look at the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean, or the show elements of Splash Mountain. I believe there is so much potential for making great "show" rides, but Disney just isn't taking advantage of the possibilities.

And I love change. I just don't like weak change!
Horizons was probably due to be replaced (I don't really remember the ride), but I am not sure M:S was worth the amount of money Disney put into it. But I do like that they took a chance with something new.

Scott M

Original Poster
How did you have a choice of endings? What were the different endings? As you can probably tell, I have never been on Horizons, I didn't get to go to Epcot until 2000.

If my memory serves me correctly, Horizons' "cars" were similar to that of the Haunted Mansion's "doombuggies". I believe that Horizons' track system was above the omnimover though, similar to Peter Pan's Flight, but I could be wrong.

In any event towards the end of the ride through, you were prompted to choose which ending you prefered by selecting the associated button on a panel mounted in front of you on your car. I believe that you could choose from a space, sea, or desert ending. I'm not quite sure if Horizons' cars sat 2 or 4, but each rider had a set of buttons from which to choose and the ride displayed the majority's choice or the first selected choice for each car.

At the appropriate point in the ride, your car turned 90 degrees to the left and panels dropped down on the sides to shield your view from the other cars to the right and left (front and rear) of your car. Each car in the omnimover then traveled with an associated screen (similar to how the doombuggies travel with the hitch-hiking ghosts) which played the chosen ending. Your chosen ending was displayed with an associated vehicle traveling through it in a video (a spaceship for space, a submarine for sea, and I believe an airplane for desert).

This part of the attraction could almost be considered a first generation virtual reality ride, as your car pitched with the vehicle in the video. Regardless of the ending that was chosen, all cars made the same motions at the same point in the film because they were all traveling on the same track.

I'm ceratin that I may be incorrect on some points or am missing some information as I am only going from memory, and the last time that I had been on Horizons was in 1993.

Scott

cdatkins

Have you SEEN the Discontinued Attractions thread? Any of the multiple threads regarding the...gasp...continued lack of a Country Bear Jamboree Christmas Show? The refurb or crane threads? If not, don't. The petty whining is off the charts.

Everyone has their own opinions on these things. I think Horizons and audio animatronic dark rides in general, are kind of stale. They are absolutely state of the 1975 art. I enjoyed Horizons when I rode it, but I don't miss it. I enjoy SSE. I ride Living With The Land everytime I go...my wife and I enjoy it. And when it is no doubt replaced with the climates of the world roller coaster (you race along from extreme heats of the deserts, to the rainforests, to the polar icecaps where you loop the poles...you KNOW that would be sweet) the hardcore(s) will be up in arms while the lines snake around the building. There are actually people that are excited about a new version of "Tomorrow's Child" for the refurbed SSE. Sure, it's timeless...timelessly dull. Nothing special. Disney recognizes the fact that you have to appeal to a different audience and that is what they are trying to do. Progress is a good thing. And outside of a small group of people, a sliver of Disney's park attendance, does anyone really miss Horizons, SeaBase Alpha, Dreamfinder, Captain EO? Probably not.

P.S. I AM glad that the wand is down. I hated that thing! I'm petty in my own way;)

But what kind of progress is EPCOT all about?

Is it about progress in finding ways to entertain ourselves?

Or is it about progress in improving the lives of ourselves and our children?

I am not against entertainment, but WDW has 2.5 parks dedicated to that, apart from EPCOT. There is a need (and a place for) a park that seeks to educate those who view education AS entertainment.

Sure, EPCOT needs to update its rides from time to time to adjust to modern reality, but the core mission shouldn't really change, should it?

AMartin767

As you passed the undersea city, a small girl passed silent communication with a seal... as she nods, the seal responds in kind... If you can't appreciate the depth in something like that from Horizons, then you never will.

Horizons was inspiring. It was a journey into the future and what we could accomplish. It provided big gasps of fancy - like the huge omnimax theater room. It had a story and meaning.. the music was fantastic. Mission Space, though a cool ride, does not inspire like Horizons did. It's like many other things at the parks, a cool journey into the mind was traded for a quick thrill and white knuckles.

LorangeJuice

Horizons had soul! It had style!

Sure, that style needed to be updated. However, a new ride, dark or thrill, does not mean that it has that fire inside!

Sorry, lol, couldn't resist. It's probably the only ride where I forgot that i was at EPCOT, let alone on vacation, for about 14 good minutes.

bigtotoro

But what kind of progress is EPCOT all about?

Is it about progress in finding ways to entertain ourselves?

Or is it about progress in improving the lives of ourselves and our children?

I am not against entertainment, but WDW has 2.5 parks dedicated to that, apart from EPCOT. There is a need (and a place for) a park that seeks to educate those who view education AS entertainment.

Sure, EPCOT needs to update its rides from time to time to adjust to modern reality, but the core mission shouldn't really change, should it?

Yeah, it's about entertainment. We pay to be entertained. We travel from across the country and world to be entertained. If you want to improve your own life as well as the lives of your family? Recycle. Exercise. Eat properly. Read books. Goto a museum. Rent foreign films and expose your children to different cultures. Travel to other countries and experience them firsthand. Don't goto theme parks. Entertainment comes first there. Education through entertainment was kind of the original mission of Epcot, it didn't totally succeed.

figmentstitch

OK, let me say first, that I kinda like test track. OK, 'nuf.

But, you don't go 65 and the banked section. That section is pretty cool, but the major acceleration doesn't happen until after the banked section, on the straightaway.

You are forgetting that there are two banked sections of the ride. The second banked section, in which you go around the building and over the entrance to the ride, is the part I'm referring to. At that point, you have reached maximum speed and are "driving" on a 50 degree banked road.

Lee

Adventurer
There is a need (and a place for) a park that seeks to educate those who view education AS entertainment.

Yes...it should.
Education as entertainment nearly killed the park. The (majority of) the public didn't want it.

mep517

Horizons was a very magical attraction for me. Very immersive and gave the feeling that you could do anything. As a kid, it really stuck with me.

Now that I'm grown, I understand that change is inevitable an the attractions I knew and loved back then (Horizons, WoM, JII, Mr. Toad) needed to make way for more innovative attractions. But I do wish that it was still there so I could try to capture some of that feeling again. Who doesn't want to feel like they are 8 years old and the world is at their feet?

I'm more nostalgic about these attractions, rather than thinking Disney screwed up by removing them.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes...it should.
Education as entertainment nearly killed the park. The (majority of) the public didn't want it.

And where are the numbers to back up that statement? Epcot has ALWAYS drawn more attendance than MGM and AK, even with some of the classic attractions still open.

I think losing Horizons, Epcot truly lost it's soul. Horizons to me was what Future World represented, more than SSE.

It was not a "typical" dark ride, unlike most of World of Motion or Journey into Imagination, because its content was so forward thinking. Beyond any other attraction at Epcot (or anywhere else for that matter) it showed that if we work hard enough, we CAN go to these places and do these things.

The idea was clear as soon as you entered the attraction, with the quote "if we can dream it, we can do it". Somehow I'm sure Walt Disney believed that his whole life.

Besides the AA figures and the outdated films, nothing in Horizons was outdated, unless you believe that what it portrayed can never happen. That is a sad state of this world when we don't want to dream that big or think we can achieve those things.

I started going to EPCOT Center when I was 4 years old, my father worked there at opening. Horizons gave me complete complete awe about what was achievable and it never became old or boring to me, even after several dozen rides over the years.

I also think that Disney has always been a place to dream and to fantasize, sure it was an idealistic view of the future, but isn't that what we want to see at Disney?

Mission:Space has nothing near the amount of effort or creativity put into it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom