What toys do you bring?

tor29c

I'm more about books than toys but I make sure I throw in a couple of small things that he's currently passionate about.This months is airplanes and rockets. :happy:

allymonkey

We drove in August- 18 hours split up over three days on the way down and two days on the way home. For the drive down, I picked up some small toys at the dollar store or online and some of the $5 DVD's from Target. I wrapped each item in tissue paper or scraps of gift wrap I had left over from birthdays/ holidays and had them all in a gift bag that I called the "surprise bag." When DS3 started to get antsy he could pick one item from the surprise bag to unwrap. He understood that once everything was unwrapped there would be no new toys or movies (although he was allowed to pick out one souvenir in the parks). He kept all of his new toys in the same gift bag on the way home and was happy to play with them over and over again. The toys ranged from a bag of small plastic animals from the dollar store to a travel size game of Hungry Hippos. One of his favorites was a Melissa and Doug "paint" book. You put water in a small pen/ brush and when he wiped the brush across the pages of the book the pictures changed from black and white to color. When the pictures dried they were back to black and white and could be "painted" again. Six weeks later and he's still using that book a few times a week.
HE also had a small backpack (ahem safety harness) that he wears in the parks. During the drive, I kept is filled with small snacks and sitting next to his car seat so he could help himself.

NYwdwfan

I used to get my kids a new game for their Nintendo DS and gave it to them when the plane took off but they are getting older so now my son gets a Doctor Who DVD and my daughter gets the wifi on the plane :rolleyes:.

Figgy1

Premium Member
For the car a portable DVD player is great for a long ride!!!!!!! Disney movies really help get us in a Disney mood not that we need to LOL My boys also have hand held video games and tablets for reading. It's about a 16 hour drive for us and our kids have always done great on the ride with those.

Weather_Lady

For the hotel: the kids get one or two bedtime storybooks and a "comfort item" each (e.g., favorite stuffed animal or blanket). We also bring their homework if they're missing school that week (with the goal that it gets done on the trip down, so they don't have to do it during the vacation). We spend so little time in the hotel room (just naps, freshening up, and sleeping) that it's not practical to bring more than that.

For the plane (we don't drive), they each get a care package with: (1) new sunglasses, chapstick and/or sunscreen, as needed; (2) new autograph books and pens, if needed; (3) snacks for the road (e.g., fruit gummies, Goldfish crackers, baby carrots); (4) a new sticker/color/activity book -- a lot of websites have Disney-themed free printable activity sheets and coloring sheets if you want to DIY; (5) colored pencils or washable markers; and (6) a simple travel game or card game.

For a road trip, I'd also add: little lap desks, neck pillows, a lightweight lap blanket, bottled water, a collection of fun singalong CDs, and electronics (e.g., Nintendo D.S.). If you have a portable DVD player, pack some Disney movies and/or the planning DVD.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We bought our kids ipads for our 10 day road trip this summer. We went to 5 Bellow and they each picked out coloring books and activity books. We also got new crayons etc. My mom made them each a portable Lego kit. We had books, audiobooks, dry erase boards etc as well.

Portable-LEGO-Kit-Mama.Papa_.Bubba_..jpg

Ben_since_1971

We bought our kids ipads for our 10 day road trip this summer. We went to 5 Bellow and they each picked out coloring books and activity books. We also got new crayons etc. My mom made them each a portable Lego kit. We had books, audiobooks, dry erase boards etc as well.

Portable-LEGO-Kit-Mama.Papa_.Bubba_..jpg

That's cool. I may make one up for me (and I am a 48 yo kid!!). You can only read so much on a flight.........................

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom