What to expect first week ?

coilback

Original Poster
For those who have done the CP, what's a basic rundown of your first week there ? Just want to be semi-prepared. I'm in attractions if that helps. Also, in your opinion, what's the best park/ride that you liked working on ? Would love to get a bit of the inside scoop. I'm really wanting Haunted Mansion based on my previous haunted house management/set design experience since I love the environment.

jiminy.cricket

My first day I checked in and moved in. Second day I got my work assignment and costume guidelines. Third day I had Traditions. Fourth day I had food and beverage training. I think fifth day I had more food and beverage training. Sixth day we had park orientation and introduction to work areas. And then I think we had a few days off and I finally went to my first day of training.

emileekay04

I disagree.... the first week was like the only time u actually had to go to the parks and have fun... once u get your ID :) So.... enjoy that week, it's really easy with training, which can also be boring, but you'll regret not taking full advantage of the time off that week when u start working CRAZY hours! :)

joanna71985

For those who have done the CP, what's a basic rundown of your first week there ? Just want to be semi-prepared. I'm in attractions if that helps. Also, in your opinion, what's the best park/ride that you liked working on ? Would love to get a bit of the inside scoop. I'm really wanting Haunted Mansion based on my previous haunted house management/set design experience since I love the environment.

Day 1- Check in, get housing assigment, get housing ID, sign up for the Portal, have housing meeting

Day 2- find out work location, get training schedule, sign up for classes (if you plan on taking any)

Day 3- Traditions (where you get work ID)

Day 4-5: This is where you usually start training

Good luck! Also, if you have a preference to where you want to stay, I recommend getting to check-in EARLY!! For my last CP I got to Vista at 8am, and I was totally done in under an hour (about 45 minutes). I also got my choice for apartment complex/size (a 3-BR at Chatham).

coilback

Original Poster
Cool, good deal. Well, I'm ex-military AND have worked several years in entertainment and pyrotechnics, so I can say it's probably not going to overwhelm me as much as basic training did and when it comes to "normal" sleep patterns, I haven't known what that's like for years (the closest I come to normal is going to bed at 4am and waking up around 8am).

I just was curious how quickly they "threw" you into the job. I've been to the parks several times, so I'm not sweating being able to go to them a lot (don't get me wrong, I do PLAN to go to them and have fun, but I just got back from there for Halloween).

Sounds about like I expected, so that's cool.

I full intended to be at the housing meeting first thing in the morning.

Most people are given a day or two off in between traditions and actual location training.
Your first two days really have the most free time involved, that's when it's best to meet your roommates and go to walmart or something, you don't have a dis ID yet so there isn't much else to do.

travlrmel

Coilback,

I have looked at your website and through your artwork. Very cool. However - I was wondering about your hair. Are you going to get it cut for the Disney look? Seem's kind of heartbreaking....

clarkstallings

When I did my program, we could get into the parks with our housing ID. I went to the parks on Day 1. They don't scan it though. They just override the turnstile and let you in.

coilback

Original Poster
Coilback,

I have looked at your website and through your artwork. Very cool. However - I was wondering about your hair. Are you going to get it cut for the Disney look? Seem's kind of heartbreaking....

Yup, chopped off, send to Locks of Love and I'm clean shaven now too. If you are on MySpace, you can see the dramatic change on my profile - myspace.com/lewmorris

Congratulations Coilback!

The first week for me was the most hectic. The first day for me was check-in and the program welcome meeting was that afternoon. I had Traditions on the third day if I remember right so I spent the 2nd day arranging my room, cruising around Orlando and hanging out at Downtown Disney. We couldn't get into the parks until Traditions when I was there but to compensate they did allow us access to Pleasure Island at night with your Housing ID.

The 3rd day was Traditions. This was definitely the most fun class. Heres a tip from my experience...If you don't know the area I do not recommend driving. I did get lost and was late. Luckily there was a 2 great cast members facilitating the class and one of them stepped outside with my roommate and I and gave us the quick version of what had been covered and the forms that were filled out to catch us up to the class. Otherwise our training would have been delayed and it would have been a huge mess. So...Take it from me, the guy who loves to drive his car... take the bus like everyone else. If you get the morning class you'll have plenty of time to take the bus back to the CP housing and go to the parks afterwards.

4th day was Park Orientation. Very fun day. Woke up at 5 am and headed to my home park...The Disney-MGM Studios (It will always be Disney-MGM to me). Checked in and met my group of about 7 or 8 CMs which was great because we got to ask questions and orientation was very informative and fun. We cruise around the park for a few hours before it was open and then before we went backstage for videos, computer training and costuming, we stood in front of the hat and watched our first rope drop :D

After that was on-the-job training and that about covered the rest of the week. It was a very hectic time but soooo much fun. I'll stop there because I can go on for a long time. Probably have gotten too elaborate already LOL.

Just one last piece of advice, follow their rules. Disney is extremely strict and doesn't mess around. I had a roommate and numerous coworkers who all got the boot for reasons such as attendance and their behavior at work, at home and playing at the parks. I had a reprimand after about 2 weeks because of late clock-in on CDS (Cast Deployment System). Make sure you understand this system thoroughly. If you have a question about it ask a manager because if you are supposed to be there at 1300 and you clock in at 1301 you will get a notation on your record card.

Alright i'm done. Most of all have a Magical Time! These are memories you'll cherish for a lifetime. Congratulations again and Good Luck!

-Jake

wizrocker

Good luck! Also, if you have a preference to where you want to stay, I recommend getting to check-in EARLY!! For my last CP I got to Vista at 8am, and I was totally done in under an hour (about 45 minutes). I also got my choice for apartment complex/size (a 3-BR at Chatham).

I plan on getting there as early as I can. It says between 9am and 1pm. What happens if I get there at 8:30 or something? I'll technically be in Florida this Friday and I don't start until next Wednesday, but a friend is moving to St. Petersburg, so I'm chillaxing with her. But if I can get there way early, I will totally pretend it was the only flight I could get :D

Also, assuming I am one of the first few (I don't expect to be first. I'm a huge HP fan and fandom event attender so I therefore expect people to be camped out for anything I'm remotely interested in) people, having arrived on January 16th, am I likely going to bed my top choice for living (1 or 2 bedroom at Chatham), or will they have been filled up in the weeks prior?

joanna71985

I plan on getting there as early as I can. It says between 9am and 1pm. What happens if I get there at 8:30 or something? I'll technically be in Florida this Friday and I don't start until next Wednesday, but a friend is moving to St. Petersburg, so I'm chillaxing with her. But if I can get there way early, I will totally pretend it was the only flight I could get :D

Also, assuming I am one of the first few (I don't expect to be first. I'm a huge HP fan and fandom event attender so I therefore expect people to be camped out for anything I'm remotely interested in) people, having arrived on January 16th, am I likely going to bed my top choice for living (1 or 2 bedroom at Chatham), or will they have been filled up in the weeks prior?

I think 8:30 should be fine. It's still pretty early.

Also, I think you should also be fine with the living choices. Of course, I can't guarantee it, but I don't think that they will all be gone (in my personal opinion).

coilback

Original Poster
Congratulations Coilback!

The first week for me was the most hectic. The first day for me was check-in and the program welcome meeting was that afternoon. I had Traditions on the third day if I remember right so I spent the 2nd day arranging my room, cruising around Orlando and hanging out at Downtown Disney. We couldn't get into the parks until Traditions when I was there but to compensate they did allow us access to Pleasure Island at night with your Housing ID.

The 3rd day was Traditions. This was definitely the most fun class. Heres a tip from my experience...If you don't know the area I do not recommend driving. I did get lost and was late. Luckily there was a 2 great cast members facilitating the class and one of them stepped outside with my roommate and I and gave us the quick version of what had been covered and the forms that were filled out to catch us up to the class. Otherwise our training would have been delayed and it would have been a huge mess. So...Take it from me, the guy who loves to drive his car... take the bus like everyone else. If you get the morning class you'll have plenty of time to take the bus back to the CP housing and go to the parks afterwards.

4th day was Park Orientation. Very fun day. Woke up at 5 am and headed to my home park...The Disney-MGM Studios (It will always be Disney-MGM to me). Checked in and met my group of about 7 or 8 CMs which was great because we got to ask questions and orientation was very informative and fun. We cruise around the park for a few hours before it was open and then before we went backstage for videos, computer training and costuming, we stood in front of the hat and watched our first rope drop :D

After that was on-the-job training and that about covered the rest of the week. It was a very hectic time but soooo much fun. I'll stop there because I can go on for a long time. Probably have gotten too elaborate already LOL.

Just one last piece of advice, follow their rules. Disney is extremely strict and doesn't mess around. I had a roommate and numerous coworkers who all got the boot for reasons such as attendance and their behavior at work, at home and playing at the parks. I had a reprimand after about 2 weeks because of late clock-in on CDS (Cast Deployment System). Make sure you understand this system thoroughly. If you have a question about it ask a manager because if you are supposed to be there at 1300 and you clock in at 1301 you will get a notation on your record card.

Alright i'm done. Most of all have a Magical Time! These are memories you'll cherish for a lifetime. Congratulations again and Good Luck!

-Jake

Thanks, I appreciate all the details. Just finished Day 1, got a one bedroom in Chatham Square (which is what I wanted). All set up and waiting to deal with day 2. Can't wait to see what my assignment is.

joanna71985

Thanks, I appreciate all the details. Just finished Day 1, got a one bedroom in Chatham Square (which is what I wanted). All set up and waiting to deal with day 2. Can't wait to see what my assignment is.

That's awsome! I love Chatham myself. I hope to stay there again this summer.

coilback

Original Poster
Heading off to Traditions now. I ended up with attractions and on the Indiana Jones Stunt Show / Sounds Dangerous Starring Drew Carey at Hollywood Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom