What to do on Checkout Day?

21stamps

Our flight leaves at 6:55pm Sunday 12/4. My understanding is that DME will pick us up 3 hours prior to that.

Originally I had planned on going to Disney Springs for T Rex and Christmas ornament, and a few presents for niece and nephew, shopping.

Here's my 3 other options- visit MK for a few hours. Visit AKL to stake out for pre cruise/non park stay. Mini golf at Fantasia Gardens and walk around the Boardwalk. (Plan now is to do mini golf the day before). I'm also trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get either an Ohana or Chef Mickey breakfast that day.

We will be at Wilderness Lodge so MK would obviously be the most convenient, and we wouldn't have been to the park since Wednesday evening.

Thoughts on what we should do? If I skip Disney Springs this trip are there other shops in the parks where we can get ornaments and gifts?

I don't care about most of the new stores at DS, we have them where I live...but then again, the Ghiradelli shop is one of my favorite things at DS. We did have a good time there last year, and kiddo loved TRex.. And we did way too much shopping. Thought it may be nice to do something different this time. Any input would be appreciated!

Greg H

Your ideas all sound pretty awesome. We are planning on hanging around the resort until check out time. We then have an ADR for Chef Mickey's brunch. We were thinking after that we would likely just check out some of the resort Christmas decorations. Mini golf would be fun though too...

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

What would you be looking for at DS? Alot of the Disney sold merch (I'd guess like 90%+) is available in the Shop Disney Parks App for iOS, so you can order stuff through that and have it sent to your room directly, as long as you order at least 2 days before you leave. Plenty of the ornaments are also sold in the Christmas store in the MK, and if you want it personalized, you wouldn't want to wait to the last day as sometimes they do have a wait. If you do go to DS, I would personally plan on being at the bus stop by 2:30, allowing for 1 1/2 hours to get back. May seem overkill, but if you miss your DME bus, they won't guarantee you make the flight.

Transferring to AKL or Boardwalk/Swolphin will be tough. Getting buses back to a resort from a park pre 11 can be very hit or miss, so unless you drive/Uber/taxi, you won't have that much time there.

Personally I'd do DS or MK.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
Ok, you guys talked me into it.lol I think I'll add a 6th day to kiddo's park ticket and do MK for some shopping and hopefully space mountain one last time. It feels really weird to go to WDW and not do Disney Springs, but we won't have a car and it seems very out of the way, mostly I'm not willing to give up anything else. We'll do bike riding and mini golf on Saturday.

Thanks for the input!!!

Upvote 0

Roakor

We always go to Disney springs the last day. In the past it was because we would tell the kids not to bug us for anything in the parks. We are not getting anything till we leave. and every time you ask us for something before then we are deducting money from what we will give you to spend when we leave. It worked pretty well. However this year we are not taking the kids, as they have all grown. Still going to the springs last day though. but its more "here is what we have left of our vacation money, lets blow it"

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

Before we had AP's we used to go to Disney Springs on getaway day just to get some Disney "feel" before heading out since we were not going to be at a park. Then with our AP's we always made it a MK/EPCOT day to walk down main street one last time then stroll through world showcase to eat a little and pick up any last minute items. The Germany pavilion has a nice selection of ornaments if you don't want something WDW specific. Otherwise the Christmas shoppe in Liberty Square is the place to go. And just to put it out there, I hate checkout day as it means the trip has officially come to it's last day:(

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
Before we had AP's we used to go to Disney Springs on getaway day just to get some Disney "feel" before heading out since we were not going to be at a park. Then with our AP's we always made it a MK/EPCOT day to walk down main street one last time then stroll through world showcase to eat a little and pick up any last minute items. The Germany pavilion has a nice selection of ornaments if you don't want something WDW specific. Otherwise the Christmas shoppe in Liberty Square is the place to go. And just to put it out there, I hate checkout day as it means the trip has officially come to it's last day:(
I recently purchased an AP for myself, so that is playing a factor. To be honest, we were SOOO ready to check out last year. I'm normally fine with heat, but 104 heat index almost daily, an overstimulated tired 5 year old, and crowds were getting a little old after 10 days. We even cut Legoland out of the check out day plans because neither one of us could handle one more day at a park.
However, we were heading to KW for a week and we were reading for some island time! This year we will be heading to the airport so it will be a little sad. :(

Upvote 0

mariak

I vote for the ornament option from Disney Springs (just because I wouldn't want to pay to enter a park that day for only a limited amount of time) But my first priority when scoping out any new place (we're house hunting) is where I might put the Christmas tree... so maybe that's just me :joyfull:

Upvote 0

rob0519

Well, it looks like the OP will be going to the Magic Kingdom. One can always get an ornament in the Christmas Shop. We don't have a lost day ritual. We've spent our last day playing mini-golf, going to Typhoon Lagoon, MK, at the time Downtown Disney. It just depends on our flight time and what we feel like doing.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
I vote for the ornament option from Disney Springs (just because I wouldn't want to pay to enter a park that day for only a limited amount of time) But my first priority when scoping out any new place (we're house hunting) is where I might put the Christmas tree... so maybe that's just me :joyfull:
Congrats on a new house!!

My son has a 5 day ticket now, I think it's around $15 for one more day.. MK day is actually cheaper than Disney Springs day or evening..I spent way too much money at DS last time.lol

Upvote 0

mariak

Congrats on a new house!!

My son has a 5 day ticket now, I think it's around $15 for one more day.. MK day is actually cheaper than Disney Springs day or evening..I spent way too much money at DS last time.lol

Oh thanks! And that's an excellent point haha. If they try to give me a 6 day ticket for a 5 night stay I usually select the 5 day ticket because I know I won't get much use out of the last day. I should think of it your way... I'd get in trouble at MK too though... I have a problem. LOL.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Original Poster
Oh thanks! And that's an excellent point haha. If they try to give me a 6 day ticket for a 5 night stay I usually select the 5 day ticket because I know I won't get much use out of the last day. I should think of it your way... I'd get in trouble at MK too though... I have a problem. LOL.
What kills me is the stupid little train (which my son just "had to ride 3 times in different seats" lol), the faux hot air balloon, and mostly the Lego Store!!! I like Disney Springs, and I love the atmosphere and food...but at least there isn't a Lego Store in MK. We shipped so much home from the various stores at DS last time...I'd rather try to cut that into 1/4 ha ha. I will admit though, when we arrived home 9 days later all of our packages were waiting for us. They were fun to open! The Legos did get used, as did all of the Christmas ornaments..but the Mr Potato Head- (best value at WDW in my opinion) unfortunately my son hasn't touched it since the first week we returned. The big monorail set that was 'absolutely mandatory'- he's MAYBE played with it 3-4 times in the past year.
The more I think about it the more I think MK will be a fun and much cheaper option.lol
We didn't shop at all at MK last time though, only for a Mickey Ears hat..besides that he got one small light up toy at Epcot, and a lightsaber at HS, nothing at AK (although he did ask for plenty of items while there)..I kept telling him we would 'go shopping later when at DS'..
I'll just tell him we aren't getting as much this year, and doing rides instead..with a FEW, not several, items at MK on the last day.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I'd do MK. Close by. Convenient. Shop in Emporium for last minute gifts. Get three morning FP+s. See Welcome Show or Trolley Show. Don't overdo it. Just soak it in.

Another option is to check out the MK resorts' Christmas decorations. Don't know if trees or gingerbread houses will be up that early, though.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom