What to do in Houston TX?!

that_L_do_pig

Disnut said:
There is not a Schltterbahn in Corpus Christi. There is one in South Padre Island. It was good and smaller than the one in New Braunfels.

sorry, I am a native Houstonian and actually have never been to either of those cities - I always get them confused.

I saw pics because it was next to a camp ground that I wanted to try out some time. Which reminds me, since you are in SATX, you are home to my two favorite campgrounds - Admirality and Blazing Star.

that_L_do_pig

bump.

Uh, the norm has just changed in Houston. We have tens of thousands of neighbors coming over to get their lives back together. They also need something to get their mind off of everything so this is what we are doing for them http://www.click2houston.com/entertainment/4913764/detail.html. Plus they are staying in our homes, hotels and shelters.

In other words, you are going to have to bring an accommodating attitude on your trip - it's gonna be packed.

FanofDinsey1981

Original Poster
that_L_do_pig said:
bump.

Uh, the norm has just changed in Houston. We have tens of thousands of neighbors coming over to get their lives back together. They also need something to get their mind off of everything so this is what we are doing for them http://www.click2houston.com/entertainment/4913764/detail.html. Plus they are staying in our homes, hotels and shelters.

In other words, you are going to have to bring an accommodating attitude on your trip - it's gonna be packed.

definatly, I was just reading how they are caravaning people from the superdome to the astrodome in Houston. We are not going until the very last weekend in october, but i know two months isnt much time to rebuild thousands of homes. I just hope everyone gets to Houston safe and sound. (and I pray that no hurricane hits the houston area.........)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Astrodome Relief Alert

I have received information from a contact within law enforcement involved in the Astrodome relief effort that those who are planning to assist with the effort need to take precautions when traveling in and around the Astrodome area. Reports of car jackings, rapes, and gang activity associated in and around the dome are not being reported in the media.......

Just be careful....

that_L_do_pig

hakunamatata said:
I have received information from a contact within law enforcement involved in the Astrodome relief effort that those who are planning to assist with the effort need to take precautions when traveling in and around the Astrodome area. Reports of car jackings, rapes, and gang activity associated in and around the dome are not being reported in the media.......

Just be careful....

Oh my... Allow me to add from a friend:

my friend X that works in the HFD firehouse on Fannin that is down the street from the Dome said they had to stop letting people into the Astrodome yesterday at one point b/c the people they had let in were urinatting and defecating everywhere

hakunamatata said:

Just be careful....

I work in the Medical Center and we already have uninvited individuals roaming the halls of my office. An event that normally only occurs around the Christmas holidays. We have been advised to secure our work areas to minimize the possibility of theft.

While stopping for breakfast at the Taco Cabana on South Main around 6:20 this morning, there was definitely more foot traffic than normal in the area, and I understand there are a lot of the evacuees standing around in the parking lots of businesses in the area. It's just a tad on the scary side.

Having said that, I realize that the majority of those being sheltered in the Astrodome do not have criminal intentions, but those who do are going to be the ones who get the most attention for the whole. It's a sad situation.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
LaTinkerbell said:
I work in the Medical Center and we already have uninvited individuals roaming the halls of my office. An event that normally only occurs around the Christmas holidays. We have been advised to secure our work areas to minimize the possibility of theft.

While stopping for breakfast at the Taco Cabana on South Main around 6:20 this morning, there was definitely more foot traffic than normal in the area, and I understand there are a lot of the evacuees standing around in the parking lots of businesses in the area. It's just a tad on the scary side.

Having said that, I realize that the majority of those being sheltered in the Astrodome do not have criminal intentions, but those who do are going to be the ones who get the most attention for the whole. It's a sad situation.

Just be careful....

I had thought about going in to the Astrodome to assist, but think I will focus my efforts on the families that our Church is assisting. I am also going to try to target people who are relocating perminantly to Houston and assist in finding housing, furniture, etc.....

Cliffordsmon

LaTinkerbell said:

Hey sis. Are you sure you don't want Jessie. She loves to ride in cars, bark and look scary.

Clifford'smon said:
Hey sis. Are you sure you don't want Jessie. She loves to ride in cars, bark and look scary.

Ummmm.....thanks, but I just don't think I'd be able to make her fit in....hehehe

I work for UT and they are adding more security. It is also my understanding that HPD will be adding to their patrol. Hopefully, the situation will get better in the coming days. I'm praying for all of those poor souls displaced by this storm.

I,too, had thought about going to volunteer at the Dome, but have decided to concentrate on getting together food, clothes, and other necessities for donation. I think the need is going to be enromous.

FanOfDisney1981, this should only impact your trip if you attend a game at Reliant Stadium, since it's right next door to the dome. By the time you get here, things should have settled down considerably. :D

FanofDinsey1981

Original Poster
is everyone in a safe place?! I wanted to check in with everyone from the houston area to make sure everyone found a safe place to be, in texas or elsewhere.

With the massive traffic jam of people trying to evacuate and the shortage of gasoline, my daughter and I decided to hunker down in our house. Fortunately, we're on the southwest side of Houston and it now looks as if Rita will come ashore closer to Beaumont, so we'll be spared the worst of it.

We've loaded up on every kind of junk food imaginable, as well as the necessary supplies so we shouldn't want for anything, other than maybe electricity at some point. Our diversion is a jigsaw puzzle we bought at the World of Toys on our last visit to WDW and I think it's going to be more of a problem than Rita!

Thanks for your concern. :wave:

that_L_do_pig

LaTinkerbell said:
With the massive traffic jam of people trying to evacuate and the shortage of gasoline, my daughter and I decided to hunker down in our house. Fortunately, we're on the southwest side of Houston and it now looks as if Rita will come ashore closer to Beaumont, so we'll be spared the worst of it.

Ditto from NW Houston. I am bunkered down with my family including a mother in law. I have a closet under the stairs that is our room of last resort. I have lots of water, food, batteries, radios, tvs, pcs, guns, ammo - etc... I have been monitoring the police and ems frequencies today and there are a lot of people with heat related trauma trapped in the evacuation routes. In a perfect world, I was on the bubble for evacuating being in far northwest houston. But, based on traffic, I'll bunker my family down and have three less cars on the road for the people in storm surge areas that clearly need to get the heck out.

Have a Disney day!

Aurora_25

We drove to Austin- took 11 hours and it's normally a 3 hour trip- but we made it there and got back into town yesterday morning. Our house is fine and everything is good- looks like Port Arthur and Beaumont got the worst of it.

SIR90210

I hear that there are a lot of places to swim in Houston right now...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad everyone's safe and your house is OK, Aurora!

Aurora_25

SIR90210 said:
I hear that there are a lot of places to swim in Houston right now...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad everyone's safe and your house is OK, Aurora!
There are?? I hardly even rained here or anything- now Beaumont- that's another story......

SIR90210

Aurora_25 said:
There are?? I hardly even rained here or anything- now Beaumont- that's another story......

Really? Well, so much for local news giving proper stories about events outside of the region...

Aurora_25

SIR90210 said:
Really? Well, so much for local news giving proper stories about events outside of the region...
Honestly, from what I have heard- Houston wasn't hit that much at all- only one of my co-workers was without power till yesterday. The rest of us (we all live in various parts of Houston) had no problems at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom