What to collect, now?

Aksmom

Original Poster
My family has been collecting Vinylmations since 2010. It's been tradition that we buy at least 1 blind box a day to open back in the room after we have our pjs on. Well, that is no longer the case since we can't find more than 2 a trip. Sooo, what I'm asking is this: What do we collect now? We aren't "pin people". We've tried that, but the market was flooded and it doesn't give us the same thrill. I know lots of folks enjoy that, I wish we did, too! But, nonetheless, we need a new collectible. We (me) would like to keep it under the $15 mark. Thanks!

AndyS2992

Pressed pennies are fun, and cheap!
Pressed-Penny.jpg

The designs change often and are uniquely themed in each land. Hunting down the machines is fun in itself and they have collectors albums you can buy and fill too.

I also collect pins and get a fridge magnet on every trip.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Ditto on the pennies. They are cheap and don't take up a lot of room. They sell display booklets for them too.

If you want something a little larger, park/resort exclusive coffee mugs although some may be more than $15. Dessert plates also could be an option. You could get a 4-plate wall mounted display stand and switch them out throughout the seasons.

If you want to build a large collection relatively quickly, and are OK with toys, the playset toys are a good option.

JIMINYCR

A challenging collection to try for is the set of transportation cards. They arent carried by everyone but you can ask the bus drivers, monorail pilots & various boat pilots if they have them to pass out.
Or pick a favorite character and try collecting assorted items connected only to that theme. A challenging one I do is the Mickey Sorcerers Apprentice.

Fox&Hound

I feel you @Aksmom - my family bought vinylmation all the time. We would do a new series each time we went to on a trip- Muppets, Pirates, Animation Series 1-5, Villians, etc. We have so many of them (put on display in our house using shot glass holders you can buy at any craft store) and it just breaks my heart that they stopped making them. We probably have over 100. They definitely flooded the market with those too (looking at you, cutesters at the beach) but they were just so fun to collect.

We do Christmas ornaments, the Starbucks disney mugs, etc but it just isn't the same at all.

DreamalittleDisney

Ditto on the pennies. They are cheap and don't take up a lot of room. They sell display booklets for them too.

If you want something a little larger, park/resort exclusive coffee mugs although some may be more than $15. Dessert plates also could be an option. You could get a 4-plate wall mounted display stand and switch them out throughout the seasons.

If you want to build a large collection relatively quickly, and are OK with toys, the playset toys are a good option.
Just need to remember a lot of these machines seem to take cards now not coins

Mickey5150

I always get the souvenir popcorn buckets. Sometimes it's just the standard ones other times it's R2-D2 or a Mickey balloon shaped one. The fancier ones I like to display, the standard ones I drill a few holes in the bottom, sit them in their lids and use them as pots for whatever I am attempting to grow.

danyoung56

Another vote for the pennies. I've been collecting them for years, although I still don't have a good way to display them. I made a conscious decision NOT to do the quarters when they first came out - just too expensive.

Baums101

After my last trip (this past week) I started buying pins again. I felt urged to since I already have a pretty beefy collection but looking at the price tag of $14.99 for many certainly was discouraging :eek:

SirWillow

Pressed pennies are fun, and cheap!

The designs change often and are uniquely themed in each land. Hunting down the machines is fun in itself and they have collectors albums you can buy and fill too.

I also collect pins and get a fridge magnet on every trip.

My son does the pressed pennies. I collect pins, magnets, and park brochures/ maps. If you're wanting a "surprise" thing to open in the room at the end of the day, the only thing I'm aware of along those lines would be the surprise pin packages, and there are new sets of those all the time.

Oh, there is always the Sorcerers in the Magic Kingdom cards that you could collect as well. You can get a free set of 6 or 7 cards at the fire station in Magic Kingdom every visit.

My biggest suggestion though is to spend some time in one of the stores- like the one at Disney Springs- and see what interests YOU the most. Because what I like isn't necessarily what you like, and vice versa.

LeighM

Started with pins. Then moved on to mugs. Then t-shirts. Then ears. Then Magicbands. Now it's Dooney & Burke.

I need to stop collecting. 😄

I no longer trade pins but will buy for the following: the year I'm there, any special event, fav ride experience, fav character, and resort pin for where I'm staying if it's new. I did collect Disney Dooneys but one day I realized just how many of them (and Harvey's) I had and started to sell the ones that I wasn't using. So far, I've controlled the urge to buy new prints LOL. Well, except for a couple :angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom