What to bring/pack

Britt

When you go with the kiddos, what are some things you HAVE to pack, that not everyone thinks of.

This time, we're bringing a fan that attaches to the stroller for my 2 year old. And little handheld fan misters for us and the older boys. We bought a big one on our last day at the parks and it made me wonder why I'd waited so long....LOL

HouCuseChickie

I always pack some Disney plush and dolls. It's always an added treat for the girls at nap/rest time to see how they've been arranged on the bed.

Last trip I brought smocks. This way the girls could have a character breakfast in a cute outfit and if they have a little mess (i.e. strawberries down the front of themselves) - the outfit underneath is at least spared and looks nice the rest of the day.

SafetyTats b/c I always want them to have some kind of ID/contact info on them just in case they get lost...especially w/DD5's food allergies.

Snacks just in case we're in between meals and in between true snacks, but energy/blood sugar starts running low. Hunger and blood sugar and factor into moods- so it helps keep the peace.

There are a million and one other little things I bring or do (like outfits in ziplock bags to keep suitcase chaos at a minimum), but my personal favorite...I bring PIXIE DUST! I do a lot of cake work on the side and fine grade cake glitter is perfect pixie dust. So, I usually take one of the more generic shades (i.e. white rainbow or light green rainbow) and randomly dust my girls. Sometimes they know it- especially if princess dresses are involved...or somtimes I dust them on the way out of the room and they don't notice that they have had a visit from a fairy until a bathroom break. :D I know it sounds more girly, but I have a friend with boys who said it was also quite magical for them too.

Upvote 0

GeekDad

I'm very interested in this post because for our next trip my DS will be 19 months and I'm sure we will end up forgetting somethings. So far we are making sure to remember things to keep him busy on the flight along with snacks and drinks for him while we are down there. We will probably use Garden Grocers to get some Milk and anything else that is perishable. Then we will pack granola bars and other snacks because this is a great way to make room for souvenirs.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
My DH and I travel without children. I have a list of things I pack if you are interested. Everything is travel size. The little pouches don't take up much space or weight in the back pack. It basically is everything from first aid items to hygiene items. Also, in a large zip lock, I have ponchos and cut up "sham-wows". The reason...if you have ever been soaked in one of those famous rain storms in FL, you know you get really soaked! So the shamwows help you dry off quickly and the ponchos keep you dry (relatively) and then when the raid stops, put it all in the ziplock they all came in so you don't have to get everything wet. Also, pick up the cheapy ponchos and bring extras with you. So then you can just throw them away after it rains. :)

Upvote 0

Blueskyze

There are a million and one other little things I bring or do (like outfits in ziplock bags to keep suitcase chaos at a minimum), but my personal favorite...I bring PIXIE DUST! I do a lot of cake work on the side and fine grade cake glitter is perfect pixie dust. So, I usually take one of the more generic shades (i.e. white rainbow or light green rainbow) and randomly dust my girls. Sometimes they know it- especially if princess dresses are involved...or somtimes I dust them on the way out of the room and they don't notice that they have had a visit from a fairy until a bathroom break. :D I know it sounds more girly, but I have a friend with boys who said it was also quite magical for them too.

What a cute idea! Where do you get the cake glitter?

One thing we always pack are glow-sticks - you can buy big packages of them really cheap, and they're perfect entertainment for waiting for the nighttime parade. We always pack extras so we can share if my son makes some new friends while we're waiting. Last year, the girl beside us had bubbles, so they both shared and were perfectly content during the long wait.

@disneygirl76 - I'd love to see your list!

Upvote 0

Britt

Original Poster
I always pack some Disney plush and dolls. It's always an added treat for the girls at nap/rest time to see how they've been arranged on the bed.

Last trip I brought smocks. This way the girls could have a character breakfast in a cute outfit and if they have a little mess (i.e. strawberries down the front of themselves) - the outfit underneath is at least spared and looks nice the rest of the day.

SafetyTats b/c I always want them to have some kind of ID/contact info on them just in case they get lost...especially w/DD5's food allergies.

Snacks just in case we're in between meals and in between true snacks, but energy/blood sugar starts running low. Hunger and blood sugar and factor into moods- so it helps keep the peace.

My oldest is a HUGE Tinkerbell fan (7). He picked out Tinkerbell sunglasses, he has a Tinkerbell pillow pet thing and blanket. He thinks she's soooooooooo pretty!

He would think it was awesome if he got dusted at random by her!! hahaha

And how cute to leave a little amount in the resort room, use your finger to create some little feet prints in it, like Tinkerbell had been there!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Given my kids' propensity for messes, I keep my purse or park bag stocked with hand sanitizer and individually-wrapped wet wipes. (I buy a big box of wipes and replenish the purse supply as needed.) I also always have a few spare ziploc gallon-sized bags (for holding wet ponchos, packaging leftovers, protecting electronics during wet rides, storing a spare pair of undies-and-shorts for kids who are in the midst of potty-training, etc.).

Upvote 0

journ116

I just perused my "What to Pack" list, and these items jumped out at me for taking care of my kids while in the parks (in addition to ponchos):

1. Mini First Aid Kit: bandaids, Neosporin To-Go spray, Chewable Tylenol & Adult Tylenol (DH & I know and show our DD's which is theirs and which are ours), DH's Zantac, & a safety pin.
2. Quart-sized ziploc baggie: chapstick; hanitizer (hand sanitizer); travel-sized hand lotion, hair brush with two hair ties, and sunblock; & gum (Disney does not sell it on property).
3. Front pocket of "park bag": tissues & Wet Ones travel wipes (.97 @ Walmart, so I buy 5 packs).
4. For stroller: clip-on fan (bring extra batteries & travel tool kit from home); lightweight scarf (think Old Navy kind) to drape over the stroller if DD's are napping; & two travel blankets that fold into a pillow (I only throw these in the bottom of the stroller if we're returning to a park in the evening).
5. Typical diaper bag items that are condensed into my "park bag": diapers, wipes, flushable wipes, Desitin, travel-sized baby powder, potty seat covers, an extra set of clothes for each DD (in a gallon-sized ziploc bag), plastic bag (you never know), a few snacks, & camera.
6. Lastly, my "go-to" bag (it usually stays in my diaper bag @ home, but will stay in the hotel room): kid scissors, Children's Advil, Aleve, Vix Rub, bulb suctioner (my youngest still refuses to blow her nose), Children's Benadryl, ear thermometer, alcohol wipes, travel-sized sewing kit, more chapstick & hanitizer, & PediaLyte travel packets.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Band-aids, either colorful or character ones. Band-aids always make a boo-boo feel better, and the brightly colored ones are the best Even though I don't have small children anymore, I still always throw a few in my backpack. One morning on the bus to the MK, a little girl banged her knee climbing on the seat. She started to fuss, so I pulled out a bright green band-aid, and presto! No more tears. The parents were so appreciative - just a little extra that I hope made their day go smoother.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

Two things we always bring aside from most of the others listed - toys and bedtime stories. We like to have a few toys for DD3 to play with while mom & dad are getting ready or just to give her some familiarity/down time. Some nights she is passed out when we get back to the room, but when she's night she likes to hear her favorite bedtime story. When we're packing we give her a set amount of things she is allowed to bring (3 toys and 2 books) and let her pick the ones she wants to bring. Recently she has liked to bring one of her blankets too.

2 is a great age, enjoy & have fun!!

Upvote 0

BamaDisneyFan

I would also bring an extra pair of tennis shoes along with the other shoes you pack. I went one year without an extra pair and mine got soaked. Needless to say I was using the resort blow dryer and dryer to dry them. I would also pack in your park bag and extra pair of socks in a ziploc bag. There is nothing like walking around with dry shoes but wet socks....eww..

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

What a cute idea! Where do you get the cake glitter?

One thing we always pack are glow-sticks - you can buy big packages of them really cheap, and they're perfect entertainment for waiting for the nighttime parade. We always pack extras so we can share if my son makes some new friends while we're waiting. Last year, the girl beside us had bubbles, so they both shared and were perfectly content during the long wait.

@disneygirl76 - I'd love to see your list!

I have a local supplier I use, but there are also a number of online sources. Sugarcraft or Global Sugar Art are good online sources, but places like Amazon also stock it. The ones I like are usually labeled as disco dust...they are just listed as non-toxic in the US but considered edible glitter in the UK. Just don't use the luster dust...great for cake effects, but not good pixie dust. Truthfully, unless you are planning on using it for something edible- you can probably get standard smaller granule glitter at Michael's or Hobby Lobby and save some $.

Thank you for noting glow sticks! We always bring and I need to write myself a note to contact the wholesaler we use to put in an order. :D

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

I always pack these:
Crystal Body Deodorant Towelettes, unscented and made of all natural mineral salts.(They are packaged like a hand wipe)
99cent store Panchos
Mini First Aid Kit I found them in Bed Bath and Beyond, I had to add a few more bandaids and things.
Hand Sanitzer
Baby wipes
Sunscreen and Lipstick

Upvote 0

Hulacat

When you go with the kiddos, what are some things you HAVE to pack, that not everyone thinks of.

This time, we're bringing a fan that attaches to the stroller for my 2 year old. And little handheld fan misters for us and the older boys. We bought a big one on our last day at the parks and it made me wonder why I'd waited so long....LOL
With or without kiddos- I like to bring a chip clip or office metal clip in case the drapes don't close well enough. Also I bring baby powder to dust our feet before we put on socks in the am, and the little individual packets of sanitizing hand wipes.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom