What time do you fly with small kids?

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
Whatever fits our schedule. we have flown any time between early morning and late evening. we have arrived before noon and after midnight and the kids are always good, no matter how tired!! They know they are at DISNEY!

WWWD

We'll do an early flight from our home airport but will try to avoid returning home too early because of the time Magical Express takes. Also, with early flights home you have to handle your own luggage check-in at MCO. Several years ago we had an early flight home and had a Magical Express pick-up at 4:45 am. With two young kids at the time, that was pure hell. I still remember our two year old yelling at us to turn the lights off so she could sleep as we were trying to get ready leave.

6laurac

Original Poster
***UPDATE***We are flying out at 7:40 am and returning at 9:40 pm. Thank you to everyone for your experiences. Here's crossing my fingers that everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Thanks!

Shelleyx4

The 1st time we went we left very early. Had to get up about 3 am to drive an hour to airport to get there 2hrs before flight and didnt care for that early. The kids did fine, but everyone (including us parents) were tired early in the day. We flew to the beach and left later in the morning and that was much better. Depart back home we've done midday. The main reason is so dont have to get up early to go home. But, i dont like the idea of flying late at night either way. Just my opinion. But i do understand the rationale of getting a full day of work and school in, but we fly on weekends.
This time flying to disney we are leaving 8:30am flight and coming back 1pm ish.
Also--we dont go to a park on arrival day....too tired from traveling....even if it was a later morning flight.

jmorri26

EAAARRRLLYYY in my house.

My parents were known for starting vacations at the buttcrack of dawn and they passed it down to me. Drives my husband nuts but I'll book a 6am flight if it means the kiddo will sleep the whole way there. It depends on your kids mannerisms with that kind of stuff, but we'd all sleep flying there, wake up and be ready to roll. I'd push for direct flights too til your kids are at least out of the baby stage. Otherwise, direct flights are a lifesaver.

Mot

***UPDATE***We are flying out at 7:40 am and returning at 9:40 pm. Thank you to everyone for your experiences. Here's crossing my fingers that everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Thanks!
Best times to go. We have used these flights ever since our daughter was 3. We arrive at approx. 10 or 10:30 go directly to Magical Express and can be in the parks no later than 12:30 after checking in.Most of the time we could even drop our belongings in our room. If not they will hold your carry-ons until your other luggage arrives. When leaving we catch the parade and say our good-bys return to the Resort and have a bite to eat in the food court prior to being picked up.
Your plan will work terrific.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Definitely first flight out. Planes are already on the ground from the night before and air traffic hasn't built up yet so much less chance of a delay. As someone who traveled a lot in the past for work I have had flights where we boarded, pulled away from the gate and then literally sat there for hours waiting to take off. Being alone I could just take a nap and/or drink:). I can't imagine how bad that would be if I had my kids with me. I usually fly from Philly and anyone who flies regularly from a Northeast airport can tell you that flight delays are way too common. If you live somewhere with a more reliable airport this may not be an issue.

Getting up early is a drag, but we like to head right to MK and stay from noonish to about 5PM and then have dinner and go back to the room to unpack and settle in. We put the kids to bed early since they are tired and then they are fresh for day 2.

bsiev1977

For my flight down to Orlando in December, I've got a 7:10am departure out of BWI. Scheduled to arrive at 9:30am, so that leaves nearly an entire day to do fun stuff.

MaryJaneP

I agree with everything Journ116 said in the first responsive post. Others have pointed out the logistical airline advantages to being on the first flight out (delays). Others also have pointed out the family benefits to being on the last flight out (school/work). My addition would be to ask you whether being in WDW for a full uninterrupted day, given the ticket prices, influences your decision? If you can burn part of the day flying in and/or don't plan on visiting a park on flight day, early flights might work. Have done both, and even sometimes use flight day for DTD or TL.

Cindee75

We pick the earliest direct flight we can, but our choice to fly in the morning has everything to do with the budget and very little to do with the kids (ages 4 and 6). By flying early, we maximize our time in the parks on the first day. If we flew late at night, we'd be paying for an extra night's stay on a day where we didn't visit the parks.

It works easily from a logistics standpoint, too. We warm up the car and put the kids' pillows and blankets in the back. If we put them to bed in their traveling clothes (comfy warm-up pants and a T-shirt), we can carry them right to the car from their beds and they can sleep during the hour-long drive to the airport. (This is, of course, all theoretical: in real life, they're too excited to sleep.) By the time we get to the airport, everybody is awake. We are less likely to have our flight delayed (because there are no earlier flight arrivals upon which our departure might depend), and the airport security and airline staff are cheerful, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed because we're among their first customers of the morning. We arrive in Orlando by mid-morning and are unpacked and in a park by lunchtime. If we get delayed somewhere along the way, that's okay: we're not racing against anybody's bedtime. This routine just really works well for us!

Like your thinking process - I think I may just use this - right now I am looking at 10am or 7:45am - I really like the idea of earlier - I may be able to convince DH if I have it planned and organized - like dressing kids in travel clothes to go to bed. I could pack some snacks and juice boxes for the hour long drive if needed and eat once we a through security if needed. Love it - thanks

Last edited:

tare

We mostly fly early morning and book an extra day at wdw since the first day is wasted by travel. Even when we do get there by noon.

We take the 8 am flight, we have lunch at our resort, swim nap and do to theme park at night, which ever onehas extra magic hours that day. Then we sleep late the next day if needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom