What should a 15 month old wear in December?

mickey7879

We will be traveling with our 15 month old the first 2 1/2 weeks of December to Disney. We have traveled there before at that time period but never with children, so with mommy brain going on :hammer:, I can't really remember much about what the weather was or what we were wearing.

Has anyone been this time of year with young kids and can tell me what you dressed yours in during the day and night?

We'll be spending a week at the beach before spending 2 1/2 weeks at Disney. We're driving down from Maine, so starting our trip will be cold and hopefully it will warm up!

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks! :wave:

It's been awhile, but I remember the standard advice working for us: layer, layer, layer! Start with a onesie, add a T-shirt and sweat pants, top it off with a sweater, then bring a jacket and blanket. Don't forget a warm hat, a brimmed cap for the sun, and mittens just in case! Whew...thank goodness those clothes are so small!

We've visited Disney in December several times, and the weather is always different (Sometimes on the same day!). It's best to be prepared for anything.

Upvote 0

The Pauper

I want to echo the "layer ... layer ... layer" advice. It is usually beautiful down here in December, but temps can vary wildly throughout the day. An evening in the high-40s may not be too big of a deal since you are from Maine, but after walking around in the parks on a high-60s day you'll notice the chill. I would make sure to have several outfits available for your child.

One other tip for the beach: it will be nice, but likely pretty windy. Be prepared for that.

Have fun and enjoy Christmas at WDW! :xmas:

Upvote 0

Rabflmom

I want to echo the "layer ... layer ... layer" advice. It is usually beautiful down here in December, but temps can vary wildly throughout the day. An evening in the high-40s may not be too big of a deal since you are from Maine, but after walking around in the parks on a high-60s day you'll notice the chill. I would make sure to have several outfits available for your child.

One other tip for the beach: it will be nice, but likely pretty windy. Be prepared for that.

Have fun and enjoy Christmas at WDW! :xmas:

How far South are you going for the week at the beach? Central Florida ocean temp might be a little cold by then. Temperature of the water has already began to drop to the point that it was chilly in the water this week. ( but I live here and get cold easily)

Layering is the way to go . Don't plan on buying warm clothes like hats and mittens here in Florida. They can be hard to find.
That said we have had mild winters for the last few years. Last year when we went to see Christmas at Disney we didn't even need a jacket at midnight so ya never know until that day. Just watch to see the predictions for the week, pack for warm and bring a little for very cold and you will be fine. You can rewear the warm stuff on a daily basis if need be and no one will care or even notice.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

layers as others have said. You can start off chilly during the morning, then get toasty throughout the day and then get chilly again at night. Being from Maine, you won't feel it's as cold as those that live in FL or anywhere in the South. I know we could wear shorts and such and others were in jeans and jackets, asked where from and they would say GA or FL or something like that. We live in PA, born and raised in NJ though so the weather here I am use to, so most of the time FL feels hot to us.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Be prepared for the cold. It was clear when we were there but cold every day and freezing at night. I think I will stick with going in other seasons so I can pack alot less ;)

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

mickey7879

Original Poster
2 1/2 weeks at Disney AFTER time at the beach?? Wow! Must be nice.:eek:

We've always wanted to drive to Florida since we live so far away. I became a stay at home mom after my son was born and figured that we may never have the oportunity again to take so much time for a vacation since we'd only have my husband's schedule to work around.

We'll spend Thanksgiving in Melbourne in a hotel that's right on the beach. We stayed there in April and had so much fun. We had considered going further south since we'd have our own vehicle, etc but we already knew that area and hotel so will have to deal with the colder temps. :cool:

Even if it is cool at the beach, it'll still be warmer than Maine! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0
Driving from Maine?!!?:eek: Why hasnt anyone commented on this? That is a loooong drive! I thought PA to FL was entirely too long. Bless you guys you must have a lot of patience!!

Upvote 0

Jaytrod

Cold

I lived in Central Florida (30 Min east of WDW) for 4 years and the winter can get pretty cold in Central Florida. The air is very humid so no matter what the thermometer says, figure about 5-10 degrees colder. And if it is windy it gets even worse.. I would pack warm clothes.. Its always easier to get cooler than it is to get warmer.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

ABout a week before your trip click on the Weather Center button at the top of this web site.
Then click on the 7 Day Forecast.

That will give you some guidance for how to pack and what clothes to carry.

:):)

BTW- I understand that summers in Maine are nice, particularly if they fall on a weekend.

Upvote 0

marcriss

Look into a JJ Cole "Bundle Me" or something similar (buybuybaby.com). It's a stroller blanket that's almost like a sleeping bag. The straps go through it so your baby is secure and toasty.

As everyone said, layer. We used plain white long sleeved onesies and then layered disney t's over them. Clothing selection for little ones is ok, but not great. The best selection starts with the 2Ts.

bring a hat and mittens and an extra blanket in case it's windy.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Todd L

Being that you have so much time I think driving will be nice. You have enough time to pace yourselfs and take it all in.
I drove to disney once years ago. My daughter came down with an ear infection the night before we were leaving so we hopped in the car and drove from new york. I only had 1 week door to door. I made it to Jacksonville in 18 hours. slept for 6 hours and drove to orlando early the next day. Spent the whole trip worrying about the drive back. That was just miserable but we had no other option. We got in at 1am monday morning and had to be back at work by 6:30 that morning. Even now i feel tired just thinking about it. God luck with your trip and have a great time.

Upvote 0

Jerm

magnets.jpg

I think either the top left or bottom right are both GREAT!

:lol:

Upvote 0

TinkSassy

Lockers are your friend! We love Disney in December - but we dress warm in the morning and swap the layers into the locker mid-morning and go back at sundown to reclaim before the evening shows.

Saves a lot of stuff that has to be lugged along - just depends on how much other stuff you have to fit in the stroller. Just remember the kids need to fit too:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom