What secrets did you learn on the keys to the kingdom tour?

Mickey92

I haven't actually haven't been on the tour but would like to! Does anyone know where I can get some more info on where the tour goes, pricings, timings etc.

my fiance' and i have done the keys to the kingdom tour and the backstage animal kingdom one...

the keys to the kingdom is interesting... from what i remember (we did it in 2007), they walk u down mainstreet, explain alot of the names on the windows, u see one part of a utilador thing, a tiny section of backstage behind mainstreet (i think they explained tinkerbell's flight while we stood there), we got right onto haunted mansion (they explained some things before/after- hidden mickey type stuff) ...thats about all i remember and nothing so shocking in its origins that i even remember it to share here... i was shocked that tinkerbell can only be 4'11 and like 98lbs lol , and we ate at the place in liberty square that is totally slipping my mind right now...(the counter service place) .... i dont know if it was worth the money + almost an entire day of walking in the heat...

I'd recommend the animal kingdom one , also done in 2007(as i am a HUGE fan of animals and animal kingdom) ... we did a slower safari ride where they told us about fake trees and ostrich eggs and stuff, how they get the animals in at night (they all have a certain pitch whistle they are trained to) , saw backstage where food is prepared (frozen rats, bugs etc) saw some backstage animals (got to pet a rhino through his cage), saw the elephant area, got a snack and had a classroom lesson with an owl...

i took both tours on the same trip in may 2007 and clearly i remembered more about the animal kingdom one, but it definitely depends on the person's interests i guess....

i hope that helps!:wave:

rainfully

There's a whole bunch of good tidbits you learn on the tour... but not anything you can't find out somehwere on the internet, or the Imagineering Field Guide. But the experience of being there and SEEING things while it is told to you is TOTALLY worth it! :)

sorcerergoofy

Keys to the Kingdom was the best! Our tour guide, "Tiny" was also great. Not only do you learn TONS of cool secrets, but you also:

-Get to see where they house the parade floats
-Get to see behind Splash Mountain
-Get a special tour of Jungle Cruise that is lead by your tour guide
-Get to go in the "cast member" entrance to Haunted Mansion
-Get to see backstage Mainstreet
-Get to see the Utilidors!!!

-And much, much more.....

sorcerergoofy

Is there a tour for DHS?

Not an entire tour dedicated to DHS, but DHS is a stop on the Backstage Magic Tour.

"This seven-hour program visits backstage!! Travel to the Magic Kingdom to see the utilidors, examine backstage computer controlled attractions at Epcot, see behind the scenes at the Living Seas, have a special lunch at the Disney-MGM Studios, plus other surprises. "

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Ive been on the keys to the kingdom tour and the epcot futureworld discovered tour. The epcot tour had a lot more backstage stuff and the majority of the time you are backstage. You get to take the vip entrance and ride soarin you also get to go into the mission space lounge for hp employees. The coolest thing is going back to the cm locker room and costume area. Once you do that you get to see where they maintain different vehicles and watercraft. After that they dump you off in china and give you a discount for lunch at the sit down resturant

DisneyGator

I have done Keys to the Kingdom twice--I highly recommend it!!! It is really a lot of fun. You learn all kinds of cool stuff, but like the others have said, you can find lots of the trivia in the books and on the internet, but being in the park and looking at the subject of the trivia is a completely different experience. I also had Tiny as my tour guide the first time that I took the tour, and he is GREAT!! Totally makes the tour a great experience...he is so funny. My other guide was also good, but Tiny is a show in his own right. Try to request him if you can, you won't regret it (I would suggest booking in advance though if you want to make the request, we tried on our second tour but it was the day before and he was not available). The tour is around $60 for 4-5 hours of interesting info, including lunch at Columbia Harbor House.

Good to hear the info on the other tours...I have been thinking about taking another (possibly the one that goes to several of the parks) or maybe try the other individual park tours....

trendicoff

Gosh, what didn't I learn from Keys to the Kingdom?

Well I suppose that's an exaggeration but I'm somewhat of a WDW tour fanatic. Yes keys is an awesome tour but what's been much more interesting to me is seeing how it has developed over the years. I've now been on keys 6 times, first in 1998 and most recently in 2009. There are parts missing that I do miss (sensory tickle anyone?), but they've added all kinds of neat new things (back in '98 they just took a 1 hour break for lunch that you paid for yourself wherever you wanted to eat). Of course, the best part of all of my keys experiences has undoubtedly been the CM tour guide. For any true wdw fan who doesn't mind seeing behind the magic I highly recommend it.

Of course, once you've done keys you can't stop there. Backstage Magic is pretty darn pricey, but oh what an experience. It's kind of a hodge podge of lots of different pieces that make the magic work. Sure, getting a 5 course gourmet meal at Mama Melrose's was wonderful, but walking along the catwalk above the Disney laundry facility was just awe inspiring. We also saw ride vehicle construction, christmas storage and a whole lot more. It's true a bunch of time is lost hopping on a bus going across property, but the tour guide continues his/her spiel the whole time.

On the smaller side, behind the seeds is always a fun little getaway from the big park crowds and the undiscovered futureworld is a fun look at some little hideaways of Epcot (the VIP lounge at the living seas is just beautiful).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, wdw tours are awesome and make a great way to spice up a 5th, 6th, or nth trip. I can't wait to go on the new Inspiration through walt's eyes tour.

Cmdr_Crimson

Is there a tour for DHS?

Actually there is one that was introduced recently but not too many know of..
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/inspiration-through-walts-eyes-tour/

Here's the info..
Inspiration: Through Walt's Eyes

In this insightful 3-hour tour, Disney fans will experience a touching acknowledgement of the contributions made by Walt Disney and how his vision and dedication made him an American icon. Learn about the pivotal moments in which the smallest details in his daily life became Walt's point of departure for creating everything from never-before-seen techniques in animation to new worlds in family entertainment.

Your tour host will share stories that reveal how Walt Disney was inspired to pursue his dreams, and how his desire to succeed influenced those around him. As you walk along glamorous Sunset Boulevard in Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park, you'll be reminded that his innovation as a filmmaker earned Walt a record number of Academy Awards®, including 59 nominations and 26 Oscars®. Later, travel backstage at Event & Decorating Support to see how this talented team continues his legacy by ensuring that each grand-scale signature event is staged with expert detail.

You may not know that Walt Disney's own idyllic childhood memories became the focal point for developing Main Street, U.S.A. Discover how his concepts became reality through Disney Imagineers' "language of vision." Just steps from this famous street, enter the almost-legendary Utilidoor system and be introduced to the hidden corridors that originated from Walt Disney's vision of a multi-layered city.

wbc

I did BACKSTAGE MAGIC in 2007. It was well worth it.

MK main street, behind the scenes, MK central shops (my fav part), holiday department
WDW floral department
epcot, you see behind the scenes in american adventure, cast member areas, you meet Dave (the ask Dave guy in all those disney emails)
mgm you go to the costume department

There is a ton other stuff, I just can't think of it all at the moment. No cameras are allowed though.

Been to Disney over 20 times and almost nothing that was told was something I already knew. It really is amazing. You'll see stuff no one gets to see unless you're cast member at all three parks.

mp2bill

Keys to the Kingdom was the best! Our tour guide, "Tiny" was also great. Not only do you learn TONS of cool secrets, but you also:

-Get to see where they house the parade floats
-Get to see behind Splash Mountain
-Get a special tour of Jungle Cruise that is lead by your tour guide
-Get to go in the "cast member" entrance to Haunted Mansion
-Get to see backstage Mainstreet
-Get to see the Utilidors!!!

-And much, much more.....

Sounds fun! I look forward to doing this next time I visit.

stratman50th

I really enjoyed the Keys to the Kingdom tour. It was interesting and I love to know how stuff works and is made. I'm a Discovery/History/TLC junky :D
But my favorite of all was The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour. Being a train nut, and a Disney nut put both together for a fantastic morning, all before the MK opened. The best part was getting to see the barn where the trains are in the bottom, and the Monorail service is overhead.
The_Disney_Roundhouse_by_stratman50th.jpg

Mammymouse

What a great picture! My hubby is a big model train collector and when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villas we enjoyed the train memorabilia in the sitting room, as well as the pictures inside the first floor of the train station at Magic Kingdom. That tour you went on Magic Behind The Steam Trains sounds like the perfect tour for us to go on. Although we'd enjoy any of the tours I'm sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom