What remains of Horizons?

Disneyrailfan1996

Original Poster
So I recently noticed in the Horizon’s soundtrack (I just listened to it for the first time ever!) that the rendition of “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” is the same exact same as (only edited), if not VERY similar to, the one that is played on the talking machine in act 1 of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress. That got me thinking: what really remains of Horizons? So I’ve made a list of what is still here (minus tributes) and how so or where it is. So far I have:
  • The duet from “New Horizons”– Gloria Kaye and Joe Pizzulo– sings “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” in Carousel of Progress’ unload theater.
  • The version of “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” now plays on the talking machine in act one of COP (and has done so even YEARS before Horizons closed!)
  • Some animatronics are in storage elsewhere (under COP in the basement?) and are being used for parts or have been, in which case it’s tricky to pinpoint what parts are where and what were they from
  • The robot butler is on display in One Man’s Dream at Hollywood Studios.
Please feel free to let me know what is missing, as I would love to add to the list as this attraction seems to still exist or live on in part (literally) and perhaps in more unique or different ways than other closed attractions.

Disneyrailfan1996

Original Poster
Great additions, although I would like to count them, I’m primarily looking for parts of the ride that still are out there somewhere in WDW like animatronics, parts, track, audio, props, etc. However, considering that the planter likely took time, I may as well consier adding that.

KBLovedDisney

Great additions, although I would like to count them, I’m primarily looking for parts of the ride that still are out there somewhere in WDW like animatronics, parts, track, audio, props, etc. However, considering that the planter likely took time, I may as well consier adding that.
TimTracker had recently went shopping in either Disney's Emporium or World of Disney Store in Florida and found some pop art that was dedicated to Horizons and other older attractions.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
@marni1971 gets the credit for showing me this. The landscape floodlight is the only remnant of Horizons still standing today. Martin said that it was functioning up until recently as well, shining a light on a non-existent building...

Untitled.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

• The version of “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” now plays on the talking machine in act one of COP (and has done so even YEARS before Horizons closed!)
I adressed this in another post but here's the Fun Fact about that version...
The man who is singing Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow in the attraction is Actor Larry Cedar...He had a big role in the PBS show Square One Tv..
larry-cedar-55.7.jpg

Plus he was also the father of the boy with the frog in the HISTA IMAGINATION kodak pre-show..
disneyshrunk01.jpg

Also some of the ships are displayed in Backlot Express at DHS....
dsc047391.jpg

BLE%200002.jpg

And Now you know....
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Disneyrailfan1996

Original Poster
at least one ride vehicle was sold on Ebay, and I believe another one is at one of the Disney offices in California
Now I’m jealous! I’d want a ride vehicle myself! From pretty much any attraction for that matter!
That planter is actually the original planter that held the Horizons sign.

By the way, I wasn't aware that the CoP finale singers were the same people who sung on Horizons. Interesting.
So it counts all along! And yep! They’re the same people! They did: Promising Tomorrows (Space Mountain), Dreamflight song (Gloria Kaye only), Seize the future (Joe Pizzulo only), and Disney’s dinosaur Big Tracks (They did backing vocals, but I’ve not listened to the album.)
Some of the props are in DC-5
DC-5? As in Distribution Center 5 (had to do a google search). Either way, that’s really cool!

The landscape floodlight is the only remnant of Horizons still standing today.
That seems very symbolic, as if they miss Horizons and hope for its return one day. A nice tribute either way!
some of the ships are displayed in Backlot Express
I’ll have to look next time I go there!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

All I want to know is who wants to hear Horizons version of Great Big Beautyful tomorrow towards the top of Spaceship earth with including the waltz part around the renosance sceneryz

TheDuke

There are a number of easter egg references to it in the Space Mountain post show. There's baggage labeled as being sen to Mesa Verde and I think some of the scenes are references to things in Horizons, the robot butler is there and I believe there are other things but I don't remember Horizons super well since I was just a kid at the time.

The Empress Lilly

There are a number of easter egg references to it in the Space Mountain post show. There's baggage labeled as being sen to Mesa Verde and I think some of the scenes are references to things in Horizons, the robot butler is there and I believe there are other things but I don't remember Horizons super well since I was just a kid at the time.
Yes! That is one of the reasons why I love the Space Mountain mini darkride long hike to the exit. So much was inspired by Horizons. <3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom