• Ellen and Bill Nye

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • The losing of another more "original" EPCOT Center Attraction

Votes: 39 41.9%

• Total voters

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know many are mourning the loss of UoE but I'm trying to really narrow down which reasons specifically?

I mean, IMO there was good and bad with the attraction since it's 1996 re-do. I just wonder what the reaction would be if we had the original version for the past 36 years (yes, it's possible, I'm looking at you Impressions de France), and just now got the Ellen/Bill Nye/Jeopardy version.

I'd like to look at the reactions back then but the internet was brand new-ish at the time.

Anyway, my question is...what do you think is the biggest thing you'll miss from the attraction?

TwilightZone

My controversial answer: nothing. Out of all the educational rides in epcot, this had to be the most bland.

But if I had to choose, the presence of bill nye being gone does make me a little sad as he was kind of a side mascot for epcot for a little while.

erasure fan1

Being a kid who loved anything Dinosaurs, In a time (early 80s) when there wasn't a lot of dinosaur anything, UoE was one of my favorite things to see in all the parks. I had always hoped that they would update the dino AAs but never really thought they would do it. It is a shame to lose one of the last epcot originals but I will miss the dinos the most.

Goofyernmost

I know many are mourning the loss of UoE but I'm trying to really narrow down which reasons specifically?

I mean, IMO there was good and bad with the attraction since it's 1996 re-do. I just wonder what the reaction would be if we had the original version for the past 36 years (yes, it's possible, I'm looking at you Impressions de France), and just now got the Ellen/Bill Nye/Jeopardy version.

I'd like to look at the reactions back then but the internet was brand new-ish at the time.

Anyway, my question is...what do you think is the biggest thing you'll miss from the attraction?
Impressions de France was a beautiful movie and a classic and powerful sound track. The original Energy Infomercial for Exxon caused a vacuum in space because it sucked so bad. With Ellen/Bill it was humorous and informative without the commercial propaganda.

MRGEFF

Being married to dinosaur nerd for 45 years ( and yes, I love them too ) we probably miss them them the most. And we also miss the smell when you first entered their turf. How many of you remember the smell too? If you do remember it, it doesn't mean you're old. :) It just shows how long you've been going to Epcot.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Nothing really. I never saw the point of moving from one giant room to another just to watch more videos. They could have set up a video in a normal auditorium and it would have been the same.

The dinosaurs were nice, but the first time I rode UoE I though the whole ‘ride’ would be sort of like this. Nope...just more giant rooms with video screens.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sure, the original did have a very boring section right before the ending that was all about Exxon, but the rest of the attraction was very well done. I still remember the ending laser(?) show and the mirrors in that massive building, just extraordinary visuals.

JIMINYCR

The ride system. The ride vehicles were able to hold a large number of guests. The back opened up with a very easily accessible ramp for loading wheelchairs and scooters. It was one of the best on property. I cant remember ever having a breakdown of the ride vehicle on any of our trips.

yaksplat

Being married to dinosaur nerd for 45 years ( and yes, I love them too ) we probably miss them them the most. And we also miss the smell when you first entered their turf. How many of you remember the smell too? If you do remember it, it doesn't mean you're old. :) It just shows how long you've been going to Epcot.
I was going to say the smell as well. Something about it just hit me right.

MickeyLuv'r

I liked the scent of the first Dino area.

And though not perfect, I appreciated the way it talked about the Energy debate. The world has a huge appetite for energy. We can't live without it, the best we can do it to think carefully about how we get it, and how to use it wisely. At present, there is no perfect solution for all our energy needs.

It is a sober topic for a theme park attraction, but also a very important topic.

I'll miss that aspect of it.

SeaCastle

Ellen's Energy Adventure was one of the last places you could go in the park that was aggressively and unabashedly 1996 and all of its cheeky optimism and self referential humor that went along with it. The fact it stuck around to 2017 is a feat that continues to floor me. Imagine telling someone today who hasn't been to Disney World that until last year you could go to a massive moving movie theater where Ellen Degeneres has a 45 minute dream sequence starring Bill Nye, where Michael Richards was a caveman and Alex Trebek snidely tells Jamie Lee Curtis to shut up. Also for some reason there's an extended interlude in the middle of the ride where you're just looking at dinosaurs. As somebody who made a point to go on this ride at least once per trip it still sounds insane quite frankly.

Ellen's Energy was a fever dream experience and I will miss it for the rest of my days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom