What park to hit first for daughter's first time to WDW?

mike10

Original Poster
Hi I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I'm taking my daughter to Disney for her first time (she will be 6). My wife and I went to Disney last year with myself thinking that she would be too young to enjoy much of it with the rides.

Well needless to say I was wrong and felt horrible after. So I made her a promise I would take her this year. My wife is doing the daughter/mommy thing with the Disney princess for a day.

So I was wondering what should be the first park to take her if MK is out since we want her to have that all in one day.

Also I was wondering if there was anything that's great for a daughter/daddy thing to do? Any help would be great thanks. Plus we plan on going in November so we're already planning on buying 3 passes for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas.

LoriMistress

The first park that your DD should hit is MK for many reasons:

1. She's going to want to meet the princesses and Tinkerbelle.
2. Seeing Cinderella's Castle.
3. Going to MK is like the ultimate passage to childhood.
4. She'll probably complain at the other parks if you don't take her to MK first.

If that can't be worked out, then it would depend on what your daughter's interests. Is she into animals? Is she into science or exploring? DHS would probably be the last park I would visit IMHO.

CP_alum08

The first park that your DD should hit is MK for many reasons:

1. She's going to want to meet the princesses and Tinkerbelle.
2. Seeing Cinderella's Castle.
3. Going to MK is like the ultimate passage to childhood.
4. She'll probably complain at the other parks if you don't take her to MK first.

If that can't be worked out, then it would depend on what your daughter's interests. Is she into animals? Is she into science or exploring? DHS would probably be the last park I would visit IMHO.

Couldn't agree more! She will always remember her first trip to WDW and I would say without a doubt that MK is the most nostalgic so you're going to want to give her those amazing memories she can remember for her lifetime.

I would also end your trip at MK with the fireworks and parade, its a very nice way to end a trip.

mike10

Original Poster
Thanks for your input she big into all those things and is a HUGE cars fan.

It's a hard choice but I do have a question how did you get that timer in your signature spot?

Walt Disney1955

Well if this helps, I took my wife for the first time last year. I told her we should do MK first because she'll "want to go back" by the end of the trip. And we did of course!

I just think with all the anticipation a person has it would drive you nuts to NOT see MK first. There is so much mystery and mystique to that place - even with Youtube these days - that you just want to see it for yourself first so you can relax the rest of the way

HouCuseChickie

I agree that day 1 has to be MK. Even if you've planned a separate full day for all of the princess stuff - I still think you should plan day 1 for MK. I had a similar dilemma w/our trip since day 1 won't be a full day in the park, but the only way my kiddos are really going to grasp where we're at and really get the "magic" going is by putting them in MK on day 1. We plan on a full day in MK on day 2 with a trip to BBB for our older one and a meal at CRT to make it a more "princessy" day. I tried to talk myself into Animal Kindgom on Day 1, but I just couldn't do it. So MK Day 1 and Day 2 it is for us. :sohappy:

MaxsDad

I have always thought the opposite of what other posters have said.

It seems to me that the other 3 parks may be a bit of a let down to a child after visiting the MK first. There's going to be something fun at any of the parks, so it should be a great experience no matter which you choose. When I took my three nephews and nieces, we visited AK first. Four year old girl loved it!

A couple of points: you didn't state how long you are staying as far as I can tell. If it is for a week or more, you have a little more lattitude on park choice early.

Also, just as important can be which attractions you visit first, especially if this is her first theme park. You don't want to go to intense right off the bat. Build her up, if you know what I mean. With that in mind, AK=Safari; Epcot=Nemo; DS=Toy Story; are good choices.

Side story- when we took that 4 yr old girl by Everest, she said "I want to ride that!" We were a little uneasy about putting her on it for fear she wouldn't ride anything else the rest of the week, but we did. While on it, she was freaking out, but as soon as our feet hit the unload platform, she shouts "I wanna ride it again!" ..... I couldn't have been any prouder if she was one of my own. :)

mike10

Original Poster
Sorry yea I forgot to add that in I'm arriving after 8pm on Nov. 6th and not leaving till 15th at around 6pm if I remember correctly.

We're planning on hitting all 5 parks (since TL is closed during that time) so we have time to hit every park twice.

Mr Toad

MK for sure...would be fun if she could go to BBB as well and get the full blown princess makeover treatment!!!

zurgandfriend

I think part of the answer to your question involves where you are staying, if you are near the Magic Kingdom (Polynesian, Contemporary etc.) go to MK first. You can see it from your resort and it’s too much temptation not to visit. If you’re not near the MK and you want to save it for the big day, visit Animal Kingdom, she will enjoy the safari and I’m sure the live shows or DHS with TSM, Muppets 3-D, and Jedi academy .

Father and daughter things are a little tough, ride Dumbo, Buzz Light-year the barnstormer and if she is tall enough, the Indy speedway cars. Let her drive she’ll love it, DS age 7 did the first time he went.
Enjoy MVMCP and watch DD face when she looks up Main Street and sees the castle.

sublimesting

Not sure what the debate is all about. MK certainly has to be first! Seeing Cinderella Castle as you walk in for the first time is VERY emotional. It sets the tone for the whole trip. Also a kid may not enjoy the other parks as much because they will want to see the castle and think of nothing else until they do. Also, as a 6 year old WDW is all a big blur of Disney. I am not sure they make a huge distinction between all 4 parks. Garnted they understand there are different parks but it is all a big blur of Disney.

powlessfamily4

I just returned from my very first trip to WDW (I am 42!!) and I have to agree with everyone MK is an absolute must the first day. I did go back on our final day and am now happliy planning my next trip. Ohhhh the MAGIC!!!!!!

Evil Genius

Yeah I really feel that this is a no brainer...there isn't any other answer besides the Magic Kingdom!

As someone stated earlier in the thread, visiting MK is a childhood right of passage. The Magic Kingdom as far as I'm concerned represents everything that is right with childhood fantasy and is the quintessential kid destination. The look of the park...the music...the attractions and characters...and I'm sorry...being the father of girls myself, one of the most moving moments I ever experienced was bringing my girls to MK for their first trip and watching them literally become speechless as they rounded the corner on Main St and spotted Cinderella's Castle for the first time...I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up.

So of course it has to be Magic Kingdom!

Testtrack321

So I was wondering what should be the first park to take her if MK is out since we want her to have that all in one day.

People need to read better! :lol:

It seems to me that the other 3 parks may be a bit of a let down to a child after visiting the MK first. There's going to be something fun at any of the parks, so it should be a great experience no matter which you choose. When I took my three nephews and nieces, we visited AK first. Four year old girl loved it!

I agree in full here. I say either Animal Kingdom or Epcot, both are not your typical parks and have less "young kid" style things to do.

Evil Genius

Sorry yea I forgot to add that in I'm arriving after 8pm on Nov. 6th and not leaving till 15th at around 6pm if I remember correctly.

We're planning on hitting all 5 parks (since TL is closed during that time) so we have time to hit every park twice.

If this is the case, I'd hit DTD your first night in town and then the next morning head to MK.

bgraham34

If this is the case, I'd hit DTD your first night in town and then the next morning head to MK.

I have to agree with that but the one thing i might do is take a Monorail Ride around and you can see MK and then Epcot. That could be such a magical trip especially at night.

Also Mk is a must of the first park visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom