What NOT to miss for the Holidays

CrazyForDisney

Original Poster
I am going to WDW this year the week after Thanksgiving. I have never been during this time of year (the latest was during Halloween last year). We are staying at the WL.

I'm excited to stay at the WL because I've heard the Christmas decorations are some of the best around! And Christmas is my FAVORITE holiday!!! ...and we've never stayed here either so that's another reason I'm excited...

I know that I want to see the decorations at GF and AKL. I also want to attend the Candlelight Processional and the Osborne Family lights. We are going to a MVMCP and eating at Whispering Canyon, Be Our Guest, The Crystal Palace and The Garden Grill (all restaurants we've never tried...well, obviously, BoG). Is there anything else that I should see? Something that is a DON'T MISS THIS! Will the lights be on the castle and lit up at night during this time or does that not happen until December?

Also, how is the weather this time of year? I know it can be a freak thing and be super cold or really warm but what is TYPICAL for this time of year? How about crowds? It sounds like this time of year is getting more popular but I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad since kids should be back in school (for the most part).

Thanks! :)

koryadams

TI will be doing everything you said you are going to do! I am wanting to know crowds and weather too. I am also resort hoping alot to see all the decorations! And I think the Castle lights are up and running by the first MVMCP which is beginning of November.

Gojira ゴジラ

The first 2 weeks of Dec is the best time to visit. However with the opening of Fantasyland I expect the crowd level will be higher than usual.

We're leaving the week after thanksgiving too.

Rogue21

If you can swing it, try and book a "sleigh" ride through Fort Wilderness. There should still be a lot of campsites decked out in their holiday finest even at that early date. I took my parents on it in 2010 and they still say it was one of the highlights.

pixiesteno

You can usually expect mild temps during the day but cool nights. We have done the first couple weeks of Dec several times and have had to resort to gloves during the evening hours in the parks on some nights. I would pack for layering! But on the same trips I have also hit the pool.
You will be so amazed at the Christmas decorations everywhere!!!!! Christmas music in the parks. Holiday additons to Illuminations. WDW goes to the nines for Christmas atmosphere! Enjoy your trip

powlessfamily4

Ohhhhhh nothing beats Christmas at Disney!! I will be there the first week of December and I for one will make sure I check out the gingerbread houses. The smell just screams Christmas!!

wiigirl

Ohhhhhh nothing beats Christmas at Disney!! I will be there the first week of December and I for one will make sure I check out the gingerbread houses. The smell just screams Christmas!!

You said it! ughh....so nice. :)
75.gif

tracyandalex

We check in Dec. 1st!! Now to your questions:
  • Pack for layers, sadly we bring one of everything pretty much, except shorts - I don't recall it ever being too hot for pants
  • For Christmas decorated resorts - Contemporary, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Yacht club
  • WL is absolutely stunning for Christmas
  • We have enjoyed all the restaurants you listed (well except BOG obviously)
  • We chose the first week of December this year because 2 years ago we noticed the crowds started to pick up the second week so we're hoping the first week will still be good
  • The kids can meet Santa at DTD and MK
  • At Epcot each country has their Santa or other holiday figure tell stories about how the holiday is celebrated in that country (one of my favorite things about the holidays at WDW)
  • We always enjoy MVMCP and be on the look out for non-regular characters. See the second parade if possible and enjoy other activities during the first parade
  • There are Christmas decorations everywhere, so keep your eyes open for little touches
That's all I can think of right now

Mukta

My do not miss things for the holidays are:
The lighting of the castle around 6:15 PM
Osborne Lights

The other things that I really enjoy are the Epcot storytellers, the decorations at the deluxe resorts and the candlelight processional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom