What makes DL so expensive????

dopeylover

Original Poster
This is a serious question, not trying to stir anything up in a WDW/DL war!

I have never been to California, let alone DL. We are planning on meeting my SIL and her family there within the next 2 years, so I visit the site and play around with pricing and whatnot. I am familiar enough with DL to know that it's not nearly as big as the entirety of WDW, and that it is in the middle of the city, so I know there are 'good neighbor' hotels around.

I priced out a 4 night/5 day vacation in July (a busy time, I'm sure!), staying at one of the DL resorts, and it was about $2400 before food! And that was the least expensive hotel! This surprised me b/c booking our WDW trip for 2013, staying at a Mod. for half and a Deluxe for half for 8 days was about the same price!

So as much as I want to go to DL, am I just wondering...what gives? Why does it seem so expensive to me? Am I doing it wrong?

Let me know what you think!

Disneyhead'71

Since they only have 3 hotels the demand is VERY high. And Disneyland doesn't have "Moderate" or "Value" resorts. All 3 Disneyland resorts would be "Deluxes" by WDW's standards.

dopeylover

Original Poster
Here's another question, kind of related. It has always been my fear I will be disappointed with DL since I am used to the vastness of WDW. Will that happen? or will I still feel the 'magic'?

Disneyhead'71

Here's another question, kind of related. It has always been my fear I will be disappointed with DL since I am used to the vastness of WDW. Will that happen? or will I still feel the 'magic'?
Disneyland is more magical than WDW. The parks are in better shape, and the service is much better. The only thing that will disappoint is the castle is so small. Other than that, Disneyland is by far the better, higher quality "Disney Parks Experience".

Californian Elitist

Disneyland is in California, that's one of the reasons.

It may not seem like it, but theme parks wise, the Disneyland Resort has just as many things to do as WDW. Disneyland alone has most attractions out of any other Disney park in the world. Disney decided to up the prices when the new DCA opened this year.

I don't want to offend you, but another reason why Disneyland is pricey is because of the quality of the park(s). Quality vs quantity. Disneyland's Maintenence team works 24 hours, not to mention Disneyland's main customers demand certain things from the parks.

Animaniac93-98

There are many nice hotels within a short walk or bus ride from DLR that are almost always less expesnive than staying at one of the Disney hotels, but still offer good rooms and some Disney perks like a "Disney Desk" where a CM will give you info and help you book meals, buy tickets and other services.

Early entry is sometimes offered on park tickets too, so you don't always have to stay "on site" to have that bonus either.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disneyland is in California, that's one of the reasons.

It may not seem like it, but theme parks wise, the Disneyland Resort has just as many things to do as WDW. Disneyland alone has most attractions out of any other Disney park in the world. Disney decided to up the prices when the new DCA opened this year.

I don't want to offend you, but another reason why Disneyland is pricey is because of the quality of the park(s). Quality vs quantity. Disneyland's Maintenence team works 24 hours, not to mention Disneyland's main customers demand certain things from the parks.
WDW used to be like that ...:(

Cosmic Commando

It's definitely the hotel. DL tickets are actually cheaper: a five day hopper for DL is $290, while a five day hopper for WDW is $346.13. Definitely consider staying offsite at DL. I personally have almost no desire to stay offsite at WDW, but it wouldn't bother me at all at DLR. Yes, you will have to see a real city street, but there are literally a dozen hotels that are as close to Disneyland/DCA/Downtown Disney as the Magic Kingdom is to the Contemporary. Use Wikimapia to check out which hotels are where.

croboy82

We stayed at the Howard Johnson for a very good rate, I think it was almost 1/3 of any Disney Hotel. And it was a 10 minutes walk into the park :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom