What makes a ride repeatable?

LastoneOn

Original Poster
What makes an attraction repeatable for you?
Subject, atmosphere, memories, who you're with, the underlying tech, what?
Are there attractions you love and have no idea why?

Qscout

Engaging, things in the background that aren't immediately noticeable so you keep finding new things each time you ride.
Nostalgia, to an IP or to the ride, eg POTC
Thrill, we can't get enough of TOT, FOP or Everest.

Finally how long the ride lasts. We love 3 caballeros, as you can have a good sit down, in a place that is cool, rest your legs, but still enjoy the show.

belledream

I repeat pretty much all attractions, to get the ‘complete experience’ so to say. So much of it is nostalgia for me. Remembering things that stood out to me as a kid... those things still make me happy now. Even when I’m not at Disney and I see a picture of a little detail or hear a snippet of the ride audio, my heart fills with nostalgia and longing to be in that moment.

Things like the large vegetables in Rabbit’s garden in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the music and narrator’s voice on Living with the Land, and the feeling of stepping off the moving platform and into our car on Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Random things I treasure about rides.

Trackmaster

When it comes to theme park attractions, I think that the ride like that intense physical experiences tend to be more re-ridable, as they tend to be different every time, and its just a sensation that you're enjoying. The heavily themed storyline stuff is amazing, but it can get a little old once you get the picture. The same way you don't watch every movie 100 times, and you wouldn't watch a YouTube video 10x in a row.

Disstevefan1

To me characteristics that make you want to re ride (attractions do not need all of these but at least one of these)
Thrilling
Detailed; many things to look at in all directions.
Different experience each time.
Dark, seated, air conditioned :)

Trackmaster

I believe that for the purposes of this question, the assumption would have been that there are no external barriers to repeating it. Just like when you say what your favorite ride is, you rate the experience itself, and don't really bring in how long you were waiting in line, how much you paid to go to the park, how hard it is to park your car, etc. That's all kind of "outside information" that's not particularly relevant for an apples to apples comparison.

JIMINYCR

First... The thrill it provides. If it doesnt give me any excitement thats a let down. it must at least measure up somewhat to the hype thats advertised.
Second... Enjoyment. If it isnt a thrill but gives me enough enjoyment, pleasure, a good time, that I'm saying... this was fun.
Third... A good story that lays out the ride, and follows through to complete the ride in the end. An adventure from start to finish.
Fourth... Visually pleasing or stunning enough that I want to see it again. Lots to catch and hold my attention throughout.
Fifth... Musically enhanced... Theres a catchy song, background music, playing throughout the ride that accompanies us in the highs and low spots.

MickeyLuv'r

What makes an attraction repeatable for you?
Subject, atmosphere, memories, who you're with, the underlying tech, what?
Are there attractions you love and have no idea why?
It depends. I've been to WDW and Universal many times, and re-ridden just about everything many times over.
Some I repeat:
Periodically
Every visit (depending on the length of visit)
Multiple times per visit (depending on length of visit)
Re-ride back to back if possible.

I agree with Mickey150, the line, (or at least my personal wait) is always a factor. If BTMRR has no line, I'll happily re-ride it back to back. If I can't get a FP though, and the line is over 20 minutes, I skip it.

That's my general approach to park touring. I describe my touring style as opportunistic.

I consider just about every attraction repeatable, because I've repeated all of them many times. Conversely, which rides I re-visit the same day or same trip mostly depends o the length of the lines that day. If BTMRR has a short line, I re-ride it. If riding BTMRR = a long wait, I'll happily ride minimal wait attractions multiple times each. I don't really care if I see every attraction every visit. The beauty of WDW is that there's usually no shortage of things to do.

The only reason I wouldn't re-ride is if I felt an attraction wasn't safe, it was exceptionally boring, or it made me feel ill or something along those lines.

In another thread though, I did recently say I thought Rise has limited re-rideability. Hassle of riding is the main reason I said that. Even if it had no wait, and was 100% reliable, it still have the Poseidon's Fury aspect to it. I like PF, but getting through the whole thing takes a while. I just tend to skip it - along with most shows much of the time.

MickeyLuv'r

I believe that for the purposes of this question, the assumption would have been that there are no external barriers to repeating it. Just like when you say what your favorite ride is, you rate the experience itself, and don't really bring in how long you were waiting in line, how much you paid to go to the park, how hard it is to park your car, etc. That's all kind of "outside information" that's not particularly relevant for an apples to apples comparison.
If I had MK to myself, I know MK too well. Since I know which attractions usually have long waits, I'd go to the ones that normally have the longest waits. This is exactly how I always tour. When MK is open late, that's exactly what I do. From 11amto 3pm, unless I have a FP, I always visit the short-line attractions. While I have a small affinity for BTMRR, I also love just about all the rides.

LastoneOn

Original Poster
Ah its ok. The line can matter sometimes.

LastoneOn

Original Poster
I still can't quite answer my own question. I don't get too caught up by childhood dreams, nostalgia for any ride in particular. Simple story maybe, if any, a ride that doesn't constantly yammer at me to be scared or something (Dinosaur would be better if the guy would quit talking and let us ride). The ride should speak for itself you could say, without some narrator or something trying to force feed me a backstory or otherwise try to insure I "get" the joke, the point, whatever.

Lots of good replies. Thank you!

MickeyLuv'r

I still can't quite answer my own question. I don't get too caught up by childhood dreams, nostalgia for any ride in particular. Simple story maybe, if any, a ride that doesn't constantly yammer at me to be scared or something (Dinosaur would be better if the guy would quit talking and let us ride). The ride should speak for itself you could say, without some narrator or something trying to force feed me a backstory or otherwise try to insure I "get" the joke, the point, whatever.

Lots of good replies. Thank you!
good point - NOT annoying - is certainly a factor. I too find the guy in the Dino preshow annoying. the best is when the CM's happen to let me skip the preshow. Rare, but it has happened.

I will even tolerate a certain amount of pain, as I like to re-ride the Mummy. If you don't watch out, it is easy to hit your head when it does that sudden breaking thing midway through the ride. The hard breaking is always a gut check. I whish they'd fix it. The Neon sign is cheesy, And I could do without having the word COFFEE screamed, Oh, and once, as I was getting off...a guy puked on me! But that still isn't enough to deter me.

LastoneOn

Original Poster
good point - NOT annoying - is certainly a factor. I too find the guy in the Dino preshow annoying. the best is when the CM's happen to let me skip the preshow. Rare, but it has happened.

I will even tolerate a certain amount of pain, as I like to re-ride the Mummy. If you don't watch out, it is easy to hit your head when it does that sudden breaking thing midway through the ride. The hard breaking is always a gut check. I whish they'd fix it. The Neon sign is cheesy, And I could do without having the word COFFEE screamed, Oh, and once, as I was getting off...a guy puked on me! But that still isn't enough to deter me.
Rode the Mummy once. Didn't see what the big deal was. Never rode again! Funny how that works.

Trackmaster

Ah its ok. The line can matter sometimes.

I think that when I'm lapping something, the assumption is that it will be a walk-on. If I'm waiting time for a ride, I'll ride it once and move on. Maybe the question in the general needed to be more specific and focused with ceteris paribus variables set and assumptions given to make it more relevant and useful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom