What makes a good Safari Driver?

PhotoDave219

Magic Maker said:
Example: If yo ulook past the front of the vehicle we have yellow billed storks"

It's like if you are on tour at a musuem and they say, "here we have the Mona Lisa".

Using that phrase "We have" is not appropriate. I do it al ot, I have to work on it.

I had my first Guests on my truck today, *SQUEL*, I am still training. But they loved the tilting bridge, I made that part fun.

Okay, well, my beef with most safari drivers is that my camera ends up smashing my bottom lip as they go like a freaking maniac over every bump and pothole on the safari....

surfsupdon

A great safari driver hits every pothole and really gets you bumping and swaying in your seats. And my favorite safari driver had a South African accent. Made for the best safari!!

SpenceMan01

jakeman said:
The training when I was there was a week just for Safariis, not including Traditions and DAKlamation, which is your introduction to the Disney Company and Animal Kingdom, respectively.

I would kill to go to either of those, or both for that matter!

Good luck Magic Maker! Don't pull a Busch Gardens and tip the thing! (if it's possible to do so)

kellydisney

Fast and bumpy rides are the most fun.

5 years ago though, the best ride ever, a giraffe came up and licked my arm! I was of course waving to him like a 2 year old when he reached down and did it, but it was so funny and one of the coolest "magical moments" ever. No giraffe has been close to my jeep ever since. :cry: I love the giraffes.

NadieMasK2

Good luck! How exciting :)

We rode last week. My tid bits of advice based on our ride:
Know right from left! "And if you look to your left, you will see warthogs" - they were on the right, and he did it many times!
Also he sounded like he was just reading straight from the paper, sounded totally bored, like he was doing as little as possible just to keep his job. Not very much fun and not very magical!

daisyduck448

a good safari driver to me is a really down to earth person who interacts with the riders and isn't thinking "when do i get to leave?" i unfortunetely got one of those people who just doesnt care the first time i went on & it ruined such a great ride.:(
but def. interact with the audience ...
oh and good luck with ur disney job!! hope its fun!! :sohappy:

Magic Maker

Original Poster
Ya it is a shame so people are not obviously excited, I am sure it will get old after a long while, but that is up to how I look at it. The great thing is with Disney you can always transfer to another part of the company.
Well I gotta really memorize the script, my assessment is on Monday.

ashaynapunim

PhotoDave219 said:
Okay, well, my beef with most safari drivers is that my camera ends up smashing my bottom lip as they go like a freaking maniac over every bump and pothole on the safari....

It's not like it's on a track, sweetie. And YOU might want "the perfect shot." Ever think that OTHER people might want, oh, I dunno, something akin to the real thing....complete with potholes? Or the minor thrills of a bumpy ride, like when you're on the back seat of a school bus?

Magic Maker

Original Poster
I see both of your points. However Mr. or Ms. new person, there is no reason to get rude with Dave, ok dokie? I do my best as a driver to not hit the bumps too hard when I notice folks taking pictures, and then when there is nothing to see I will go a bit faster and rougher.

Today I officially earned my ears and graduated my training. I made the rounds as an official Game Driver for 2.5 hours. All of my safaris went well, my last went great, I got a wonderful reaction from the group. All the veterans in the area think I am doing a very good job. So if you know me in the real world, just let me know when you are going to be at DAK and hopefully you can catch my safari.

Irrawaddy Erik

Magic Maker said:
Today I officially earned my ears and graduated my training. I made the rounds as an official Game Driver for 2.5 hours. All of my safaris went well, my last went great, I got a wonderful reaction from the group. All the veterans in the area think I am doing a very good job. So if you know me in the real world, just let me know when you are going to be at DAK and hopefully you can catch my safari.
I'm glad your having a great time! I really miss the area right now. I will shoot you a pm soon. Tell Wilson and Ms. Jobson I said hi. :wave: :lookaroun

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Having a driver that can be understood is the No1 priority.

It dosent matter how good or corny a joke is if all you can hear is an indiscernible mumble. Or an accent so heavy it increases the axel weight of the truck. As the owner of an accent, it dosent take that much effort to be understood, if you can be bothered.

sillyspook13

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Having a driver that can be understood is the No1 priority.

It dosent matter how good or corny a joke is if all you can hear is an indiscernible mumble. Or an accent so heavy it increases the axel weight of the truck. As the owner of an accent, it dosent take that much effort to be understood, if you can be bothered.
I once had an Accent, but I traded it in for an Elantra.... :p

stitch82

i have a question for you magic maker...what kind of shifts do you go on when working ks? for example...do you rotate with the other attraction cms in the q, etc? how long are you out driving solid...like, how many safaris in a row?

i'm glad you're enjoying it! i think that is what really makes it enjoyable for a guest...when the cm is enjoying the job, and truly loves what they are doing, it shows.

Magic Maker

Original Poster
We do have rotation, but it is much different than many rotations at other attractions or departments. Typically you work 2 - 3 hours in a land position (queue positions basically). And then the bulk of your shift is on the truck. Sometimes you cna start on a truck, go to land, back on truck or any kind of order. You can do anywehre from 3-8 rounds on a truck. It just depends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom