What makes A Disney Cruise???

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
Hi folks :wave:

On the verge of booking an 11 night Mediteranean Cruise for next May and just looking for your experiences with Disney Cruise Line that made it so special!

Whether it was the amazing port adventures, the restaurants, the Cast Members, the fireworks at sea, the on board entertainment whatever it was that made your cruise memorable id love to hear about it :wave:

Look 4ward to hearing from every1 :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

mpoppins217

I'll start out since no one else has yet to jump in! First, the cruises I've been on: 3-day and 4-day in the bahamas on the wonder.

For me, a lot of it just comes down to the Disney touch on everything. Fabulous friendly CMs, great dining, magical experiences, just the overall quality. Definitely worth the hefty price tag. One of my favorite moments was a dolphin encounter had in Nassau (which we booked independently, not through Disney). Every show on board is top-notch Broadway caliber and really moves you emotionally. The fireworks/pirate party at sea are fantastic fun. And you absolutely have to eat at Palo! :slurp:

Enjoy your cruise!!!

MarkTwain

I'll jump in with some opinions I suppose. :D First cruise, I take it?

1. I'll abandon my usual attempts at eloquence and say... FOOD. Food food food food food. Best dining on the seven seas, and surely anywhere else as well. We're talking duck one night, lamb the next, and lobster the night after that... often with fancy French names I don't remember, and it's all free once you get on board. Then you have the unlimited paninis and fruit, the free ice cream, and the free pizza all on deck 9 at any point you feel like it, and free room service if you don't feel like leaving your room (although I've never felt this way).

2. Design. Probably appeals more to design students types like me, but it's amazing how beautiful and nostalgic the design of the ships are. Both the Magic and Wonder are gems of Art Deco, with golden woods, sweeping geometry, and opulent touches, probably the closest things to the grand transatlantic ships of yesteryear that you'll find today. I would bet that the Disney Magic is probably the largest and grandest Art Deco construction since the Chrysler building, and that's saying something. The beauty of the ships are bar none... certainly better than the plain and almost solid-white ships of pretty much every other cruise line.

3. Okay I know nobody's interested in that part, so I'll say entertainment. There is ALWAYS something on the ship you will find to entertain you. There's the Broadway-caliber shows you'll find on many of the nights, to the smaller-scale comedy troupe or illusionist acts offered on the other nights. Then you've got things like the newest, just-released movies playing nonstop in the Buena Vista Theater (check your schedule), the more classic family movies playing on the giant screen up on deck by the pool, to even things just like lounge singers and dueling pianos you'll find in the bars throughout the day. But here's a tip: the best entertainment you'll find on the ship (IMO) are the acts that play in Beat Street/Route 66 each night. Often throughout the cruise (the longer ones in particular, like yours), a comedian will be brought aboard and do a family show in the Walt Disney Theater, and will then tell you that they're doing a show later that night in Beat Street or Route 66. That late night show is the best to go to - the comedians can leave all their family-friendly inhibitions behind, and the they often aren't afraid to get a bit edgier and personal with the audience. The results are typically hilarious. I've found myself in tears from laughing so hard. Best way to end each night.

4. In contrast to that last one... relaxation. The ships have a wonderful offerings of things to do to fill up your day, and yet such a great thing about cruising is that you always have the option of not doing any of them. I don't know how many times I've just grabbed a deck chair by the pool on Deck 9 and just dozed off, not knowing or caring when I had to wake up. At nights, I would often just find myself strolling the upper decks with my family, grabbing a drink and watching the waves crash against the side of the ship. There's something magical about it, but it's like freeing yourself from land is freeing yourself from the pressures of the world. The most peaceful feeling you'll ever have.

Enjoy your cruise... you'll love it. :wave:

216bruce

I agree with Mr. Twain (fave author by the way) about design. This ties in with the Disney attention to detail (just think how detailed the parks and resorts are) and put it on a luxury liner.
Customer service, especially the dining staff, is exceptional.
We aren't big eaters, but the food is very good.
The experience of the restaraunts (Animators Palate especially).
Surrounded by "things Disney".
All in all it is a little pricier than other cruise lines, but you get what you pay for. If you are a Disney fan/nerd then it is worth it. If not, than you may not "get it" and would probably be just as happy on another cruise line.

tiaragirl

Ah, the magic of a Disney Cruise.

I don't know the ages of the people you're planning on cruising with, but I can legitimately say - from experience - that there is something for all ages. We did a few family cruises when I was younger (sister 6, me 10 - sister 9, me 13) and we had a blast at the kids clubs. When I cruised with the girls in May (19/20 year olds) we had the best time at dinner, and Castaway Cay. My parents are on a cruise now, and my grandparents (70s) went for two consecutive years. We all LOVE it.

There's so much to do - pool, activities for kids, character meet and greets. The evenings are incredibly packed with things to do - from karaoke to games - and it's almost impossible to see everything you want. Three cruises, and I've yet to do an excursion, and I still don't feel like I've seen everything DCL has to offer.

The food is incredible as well. There's something for everyone. Lauren is a vegetarian, and she had lots and lots to eat. The buffets are excellent, and the sit down meals are just unparalleled. Dessert is my weakness, and there are sweets EVERYWHERE.

Finally, my favourite part of a Disney Cruise, the entertainment. The evening shows are so Disney, so heartwarming, and extremely well executed. You'll be amazed.

Do it =)

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
I'll jump in with some opinions I suppose. :D First cruise, I take it?

1. I'll abandon my usual attempts at eloquence and say... FOOD. Food food food food food. Best dining on the seven seas, and surely anywhere else as well. We're talking duck one night, lamb the next, and lobster the night after that... often with fancy French names I don't remember, and it's all free once you get on board. Then you have the unlimited paninis and fruit, the free ice cream, and the free pizza all on deck 9 at any point you feel like it, and free room service if you don't feel like leaving your room (although I've never felt this way).

2. Design. Probably appeals more to design students types like me, but it's amazing how beautiful and nostalgic the design of the ships are. Both the Magic and Wonder are gems of Art Deco, with golden woods, sweeping geometry, and opulent touches, probably the closest things to the grand transatlantic ships of yesteryear that you'll find today. I would bet that the Disney Magic is probably the largest and grandest Art Deco construction since the Chrysler building, and that's saying something. The beauty of the ships are bar none... certainly better than the plain and almost solid-white ships of pretty much every other cruise line.

3. Okay I know nobody's interested in that part, so I'll say entertainment. There is ALWAYS something on the ship you will find to entertain you. There's the Broadway-caliber shows you'll find on many of the nights, to the smaller-scale comedy troupe or illusionist acts offered on the other nights. Then you've got things like the newest, just-released movies playing nonstop in the Buena Vista Theater (check your schedule), the more classic family movies playing on the giant screen up on deck by the pool, to even things just like lounge singers and dueling pianos you'll find in the bars throughout the day. But here's a tip: the best entertainment you'll find on the ship (IMO) are the acts that play in Beat Street/Route 66 each night. Often throughout the cruise (the longer ones in particular, like yours), a comedian will be brought aboard and do a family show in the Walt Disney Theater, and will then tell you that they're doing a show later that night in Beat Street or Route 66. That late night show is the best to go to - the comedians can leave all their family-friendly inhibitions behind, and the they often aren't afraid to get a bit edgier and personal with the audience. The results are typically hilarious. I've found myself in tears from laughing so hard. Best way to end each night.

4. In contrast to that last one... relaxation. The ships have a wonderful offerings of things to do to fill up your day, and yet such a great thing about cruising is that you always have the option of not doing any of them. I don't know how many times I've just grabbed a deck chair by the pool on Deck 9 and just dozed off, not knowing or caring when I had to wake up. At nights, I would often just find myself strolling the upper decks with my family, grabbing a drink and watching the waves crash against the side of the ship. There's something magical about it, but it's like freeing yourself from land is freeing yourself from the pressures of the world. The most peaceful feeling you'll ever have.

Enjoy your cruise... you'll love it. :wave:

Great detail thanks very much, this makes everything sound even better (if possible) :wave:

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Ah, the magic of a Disney Cruise.

I don't know the ages of the people you're planning on cruising with, but I can legitimately say - from experience - that there is something for all ages. We did a few family cruises when I was younger (sister 6, me 10 - sister 9, me 13) and we had a blast at the kids clubs. When I cruised with the girls in May (19/20 year olds) we had the best time at dinner, and Castaway Cay. My parents are on a cruise now, and my grandparents (70s) went for two consecutive years. We all LOVE it.

There's so much to do - pool, activities for kids, character meet and greets. The evenings are incredibly packed with things to do - from karaoke to games - and it's almost impossible to see everything you want. Three cruises, and I've yet to do an excursion, and I still don't feel like I've seen everything DCL has to offer.

The food is incredible as well. There's something for everyone. Lauren is a vegetarian, and she had lots and lots to eat. The buffets are excellent, and the sit down meals are just unparalleled. Dessert is my weakness, and there are sweets EVERYWHERE.

Finally, my favourite part of a Disney Cruise, the entertainment. The evening shows are so Disney, so heartwarming, and extremely well executed. You'll be amazed.

Do it =)

No excursions???

WOW these ships must be just incredible :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom