What Kind of Camera Do You Use at Disney?

RiversideBunny

For those of you who have a Nikon or Canon DSLR (like the D80 or D300 or Rebel XSi/XTi or EOS40D, etc.), what len(s) do you normally walk around WDW with?

A lot of people would pick just one typical zoom lens and carry it.
For low light shooting, though, a bigger arpeture is better, like f/1.8, so some people carry a fixed prime lens such as an 85mm/f1.8 or so.
Maybe they also carry a wide angle just in case.

Considering the weight of some of the better zooms and the need for low light shots without a flash and the trouble of changing lenses, I was just wondering what some of you who are serious amateurs carry in the parks.

I've about decided that an 85mm/f1.8 plus a 24mm/2.8 might be a good compromise. The spare lens is small and would be easy to carry.
A zoom that has f/2.8, like a 70-200mm, seems too large and heavy.

Tks.
:)

NikonJim

18-200 for walk-about

I have Nikon D300 and an 18-200 VR that stays on the camera most of the time. I do keep a 50 f/1.8 in my pocket for low light, but I have found that the D300 gets pretty decent results shooting at 1600 and even 3200 as long as you are not make large images. I am trying to justify a new 11-16 f2.8 before my next trip in two weeks, but just can't figure out how to. I wonder if I could pass it off as a gift from the Dream Squad?

JROK

I almost always have my Canon 24-70 2.8 on my 40D. I got used to the weight of it by bringing it so often. Although lately I've been bringing my 50 1.8 with me because it's less cumberson. Only drawback of the 50 is the loss of the wide angle which comes in handy during character meet & greets and queue photos.

A friend of mine uses the Canon 17-85IS lens with good results. It's a little smaller and lighter than the 24-70L lens, and takes good low-light photos too.

I find that I'm using the wide angle more than the long when I'm at Disney and for that reason I'd suggest a wide lens.

PhotoDave219

For those of you who have a Nikon or Canon DSLR (like the D80 or D300 or Rebel XSi/XTi or EOS40D, etc.), what len(s) do you normally walk around WDW with?

A lot of people would pick just one typical zoom lens and carry it.
For low light shooting, though, a bigger arpeture is better, like f/1.8, so some people carry a fixed prime lens such as an 85mm/f1.8 or so.
Maybe they also carry a wide angle just in case.

Considering the weight of some of the better zooms and the need for low light shots without a flash and the trouble of changing lenses, I was just wondering what some of you who are serious amateurs carry in the parks.

I've about decided that an 85mm/f1.8 plus a 24mm/2.8 might be a good compromise. The spare lens is small and would be easy to carry.
A zoom that has f/2.8, like a 70-200mm, seems too large and heavy.

Tks.
:)

Yes, a 70-200 is a PITA to carry around. Same with the 300 f/4
& tele. Last time i went i rocked the point and shoots.

Usually If i'm shooting I will go with something similar to what you say. At work ive been rocking the 17-35 on one body and the 85 on the other. If i need long i go 180. (the 70-200 is in the shop)

frugal_mar

In 2006, I just had the D50 and walked around with the 18-70. I got some great results. I probibly would have just used the 18-55, but a month before we were going, I dropped it on the Capital Steps and it broke. I did have a lens cap on it, just the motor broke. I had to scramble and by a new lens because the 18-55 was still in the repair shop. Nikon did do a great job fixing it at no charge.

In 2007, I brought my D80 and walked around with the 18-135. During the day, I used a circular polarizing filter. (I couldn't get my hands on a 18-200.)

I did bring with me, a 80-200 f2.8 (It gets really heavy), a 10.5 mm (fish eye), 12-24mm (Tokina), and 50mm f1.8 (used mostly at night) depending on the park and what pictures I wanted to take.

If I were going today, I would take the 18-200mm as my walk around lens.

Just as a side note, last year we were on a trip to Montreal, I had the D80 with the 18-200 and my son used the D50 with the 18-135. He dropped the camera and the 18-135 was damaged. (Trusty, Nikon service fixed it again at no charge.) That trusty 18-70 came in really handy. Now, I won't go on a trip with out a back up general purpose lens.

- Michael

You can find a good collection of my photographs at http://picasaweb.google.com/mar.prounix

PhotoDave219

Well that gives me hope. I have a blown shutter in a camera, a broken aperture ring on an 85 and a scratched front element on a 20. Nikon usually bends over the consumer in those situations... and the best person i knew at NPS has gone over to the dark side and now works for CPS.

... I wonder what Disney would say if i tried to bring in the 400/2.8?

EpcoTim

I carry a Canon 20D and a lens or two. My current set up is the 20D, a sigma 10-20, a Canon 28mm 1.8, a Canon 50mm 1.8 and the Canon 100 f/2. I usuallly take a lens or two out with me. I recently sold all my zooms (again).

I tried using a P&S and I just couldnt do it. Too slow, in almost all respects, though the pictures were fine, I just have no patience. At all. Plus, I like the fast glass.

PhotoDave......heres a hack for your Canon.... http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-your-pointandshoot-into-a-supercamera

And sounds like you might be SOL on that equipment. Well, at least on the scratched 20. I havent had good luck with that. Of course I was dealing with Canons wonderful service.

PhotoDave219

Interesting. Nikon will fix the lens, its just a bit of coin. Thanks for the link.

Using a P&S to get results that i'm happy with requires a crapload of patience and anticipation. Shot the fireworks at Epcot from my room at the Dolphin. Now that was pretty hard.

I didnt mind giving up the fast glass. It got me through fast, no bag line. (Not that i ever actually use a camera bag, instead i look like I'm ready to invade Poland with the spiffy utility belt). What i did like was using the color accent settings on my fiancee's P&S. All B&W except for one color.

... apparently i cant post attachments anymore. Oh well.

JCorduroy

The vast majority of my photos have been taken with a Nikon Coolpix P2, but that has since been replaced with my brand new Nikon D40. First time I've ever owned a dSLR, and I'm loving every second of it. I don't think anything I took a photo of with my P2 ever looked this nice.

2558707001_ca163792f6.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom