Trip Report What kid cries when they're stuck in Disney for an extra day? Oh wait... Mine.

Good Morning Everyone!

We're only about 3.5 months post trip, but I'm finally having a little time to myself to type this out. This is my first actual trip report, so bare with me!

Who?

This picture is from our trip in May 2018 for my daughter's 7th Birthday! This trip however we ditched the baby (Liam) with daddy and took a mommy (Kim)/daughter (Allyson) trip!

(Side note: My daughter struggled HORRIBLY after my son was born. She was an only child for 6.5 years and had a really hard time adjusting to baby brother getting so much of her attention - think having "accidents" constantly, acting out in school and at home, and starting to flat out ignore Liam. We actually had a meeting with her guidance counselor at school to try to get some help with these issues and after we talked to her she started to improve drastically. So at Christmas I surprised her with a big box full of Mickey Mouse balloons and told her we were taking this trip just us and I don't think I'd seen her so happy in MONTHS.)

When?
January 27 - February 2nd 3rd (Anyone that was in Orlando then will understand why there was a change)

Where?
Disney's Pop Century Resort!

Now onto the fun parts!

Sunday, January 27th:

Our flight out of PHL was leaving around 6:30pm so we left around 3pm to go to my ex's house so Allyson could spend time with daddy before we left and to, of course, leave Liam with him for the week. We left shortly after as it's about an hour ride to the airport.

Let me tell you, I've NEVER seen security at PHL as dead as it was. It's normally pretty fast, but there's always a line when I fly anywhere. Not the case this time. There was NO ONE. We literally just walked straight through the line and I think the entire process took MAYBE 5 minutes. We were off to a great start!

We stopped at Chickie's and Pete's for some crab fries and chicken strips and then found an empty area for Allyson to run around and climb on chairs without bothering anyone while we were waiting for our flight.

I somehow forgot to check in for our flight until we got to the airport, so we were among the last people to board, and by the time we did there were NO seats left together. Allyson INSTANTLY burst into tears. 🤦‍♀️
Luckily the flight attendants on our SouthWest flight were quick to make an announcement asking if someone would be willing to switch seats and several people volunteered.

And we're off!

After an uneventful flight we landed in Orlando around 9:45pm. By the time we landed all of the gift shops were closed, much to Allyson's disappointment, so we headed straight for a bathroom and then the Magical Express!

We arrived to Pop a little after 10:30pm and headed straight for our room (we couldn't have been farther from the lobby if we'd tried, UGH) to get ready for tomorrow - Hollywood Studios!

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
What a great trip ❤❤

I'm going down in September just me and my daughter, so it was fun to read a mommy daughter trip report. Thank you for sharing!!

Oh my goodness, have a great time! It was definitely an amazing trip and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! We don't often get to do things just the two of us anymore so having a week together was super special!

Great report. Your daughter is a doll (her hair!💕). CM's were awesome. So happy they helped make a tough situation better.
On a side note, I loved seeing leggings and tennis shoes on her under her lovely Princess Belle dress. I see way too many kids trying to walk the parks in the costume shoes (including one little girl this past trip in tears with open sores on her feet). The dresses are lovely, but wish more parents would think of proper (weather appropriate) clothing under and walking shoes.

Thank you! She really does have the best hair, doesn't she?! I'm so jealous of it!

And I agree! We saw a little girl in a Cinderella dress in line to meet her complaining that the costume shoes hurt and got yelled at when she tried to take them off. :(
Allyson has the matching shoes and brought them with us, but they didn't even come out of my backpack because A) it was cold and B) they aren't appropriate for an entire day at the parks. If she wanted to put them on for pictures with the princesses then I'd have let her, but she didn't even ask.

They make a lot of dresses that are pretty okay in the heat now. Some of the ones you get off Amazon are even fancier than the Disney ones but just breathe better. But the shoes.... My daughter wears high heels a lot at home. Shell run in them and play soccer in them and she just really loves them. But at Disney we have rules. You can pick a pair of heels/princess shoes Mommy to carry that you can put in in line to meet princesses, but the rest of the day you're wearing real shoes.

Is amazing how little she cares about her shoes when her options are wear real shoes and meet princesses and go on rides eat popcorn, or wear high heels and stay at the hotel. I feel so bad for the little girls in those awful hard plastic shoes in the park.

Yes! Exactly! Allyson has the matching Belle shoes, but only wears them at home. I brought them with us incase she wanted to switch into them for pictures with the princesses, but she said she'd rather wear her sneakers.

I always laugh when I hear people (friends, family, strangers, whatever) state that their child is doing something because they wanted to even though it's a bad idea (example: wearing heels to Disney, eating junk food the entire week, etc etc etc). If you don't give your kid a choice then they can't be upset about it, or compromise so that you win. 😂
My friend even just said to me yesterday that she won't take her son to Disney because she knows he'll bug her for stuff or to wear his costumes and will decide he doesn't want them halfway through the day. Allyson gets one giftcard at the beginning of the week to do as she pleases with, but once it's gone she's done. 🤷‍♀️
And if she wears her Belle dress then great, but she wears comfy clothes underneath and has to pack a drawstring bag in my backpack so if she wants to take it off then she can, but she's gonna be the one to carry it. Lol.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I was big into the « you bring it, you carry it » parenting style and my DD learned very quickly what she did or didn’t want to bring with her anywhere we went. And as I type this I realized each time we got out of the car today I had to ask her to put the car keys in her small pack, as I didn’t have a bag to keep them safely 😂

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I was big into the « you bring it, you carry it » parenting style and my DD learned very quickly what she did or didn’t want to bring with her anywhere we went. And as I type this I realized each time we got out of the car today I had to ask her to put the car keys in her small ***** pack, as I didn’t have a bag to keep them safely 😂

Hahahahahahaha. I've done the same thing!!! I bring one bag with ponchos, refillable water bottles, etc. to the parks, but at home I rarely carry anything. 😂

Janir

We're off to our safari!

View attachment 391506
UGH. Look at that cute little baby!!!
View attachment 391507
View attachment 391508
View attachment 391510

Then we, of course, had to go visit our favorites!

View attachment 391511
View attachment 391512
View attachment 391513

Then we grabbed some slushies and found a quiet place to sit. We looked up Disney jokes on my phone and Allyson was laughing hysterically! Be careful though if you ever Google "Disney Jokes" because not all of them are kid friendly.

View attachment 391514

Then we were off to explore some more!
View attachment 391515
View attachment 391516

She is a little cutie! You're going to have to beat off the boys with sticks in a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom