• Family Tradition

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Seasonal Events

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • Disney's Magical Express

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Jabbas

I live in Florida but I only go every 2-3 years. I feel like there’s always something new and I get my money’s worth. I do go all out, character meals, shopping, etc. Coming every couple of years keeps me going because I feel like it’s a new experience. Plus, I have kids now.

rreading

Original Poster
I will be honest there is nothing right now thats drawing me to Disney. That could change when my child gets older. Last time I went was 3 years ago and the magic just wasn't there for me. I had fun when I was there but it wasn't the same like I remembered it. One that you don't get much at Disney compared to other parks is the sounds of screams from people on rides. That is what gets my excitement going when entering a park.

…and that’s okay. As I have said, my wife doesn’t have the need to return and we’ve been married over twenty years.

There are certainly theme parks that have the screams of excitement. It’s fun but different. For me, I get that from our local Six Flags (my wife doesn’t prefer that either!)

Maybe you’ll be interested again. Maybe not. Life goes on, and there are definitely other things out there 🤷‍♂️

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I would have said "nostalgia" but as the line over to the left says, my last trip was in 2018.

And I fear that might be as predictive as it is descriptive.

dovetail65

I live in Florida but I only go every 2-3 years. I feel like there’s always something new and I get my money’s worth. I do go all out, character meals, shopping, etc. Coming every couple of years keeps me going because I feel like it’s a new experience. Plus, I have kids now.
I should of brought my last set of kids(twins) when they were younger. I waited until they were 15. I had them go to 3 character meals, Dinner at the Castle, the two Poly shows and Hoop De Doo, twice. They actually enjoyed the character meals(some of my other kids as teens would of done nothing but complain). The younger kids were drawn to them as being older, they led a parade thought the tables at Chef Mickeys and it was great fun. Still, in that moment I thought, I blew it, I should of brought them when they were 8.

So enjoy it with the kids!

Goofyernmost

I should of brought my last set of kids(twins) when they were younger. I waited until they were 15. I had them go to 3 character meals, Dinner at the Castle, the two Poly shows and Hoop De Doo, twice. They actually enjoyed the character meals(some of my other kids as teens would of done nothing but complain). The younger kids were drawn to them as being older, they led a parade thought the tables at Chef Mickeys and it was great fun. Still, in that moment I thought, I blew it, I should of brought them when they were 8.

So enjoy it with the kids!
I waited until they were old enough to remember what we did and what we saw. The youngest was about to turn 7. I did the same thing 25 years later when I decided that all the trips I took with my kids were always budgeted to death, I felt like I deprived the kids of some really spectacular memories because it didn't fit in the budget. So I took them, their husbands and my three grandkids (the youngest was 6 years old) to a week in WDW. I confess that my reason for waiting on that big trip was so that when my grandkids grew up they would remember that Grandpa was the one that took them there. Self centered, I know.

With an unexpected turn of events, on my part anyway, a fourth grandchild magically arrived four years later. Since then my entire crew has jokingly been rationalizing that since she is now 9 years old, and not yet experienced WDW, I should do it again. I keep telling them I'm on a fixed income now. So it is time for payback which can be achieved by them taking me.

ryguy

I said the resorts because I do like taking weekend getaways. I don't go into the parks unless I am with someone who wants to go in. I mainly go to my favorite restaurants around Orlando and play golf.

Nottamus

Could have easily voted for all
Of the above (not including Magic Express- we drive in)

but the main and most important reason is how the wife and I reconnect on our vacations.

twice a year in AKL- I can see the happy in her, and she can see the happy in me

so, I’ll keep going back!

dovetail65

I waited until they were old enough to remember what we did and what we saw. The youngest was about to turn 7. I did the same thing 25 years later when I decided that all the trips I took with my kids were always budgeted to death, I felt like I deprived the kids of some really spectacular memories because it didn't fit in the budget. So I took them, their husbands and my three grandkids (the youngest was 6 years old) to a week in WDW. I confess that my reason for waiting on that big trip was so that when my grandkids grew up they would remember that Grandpa was the one that took them there. Self centered, I know.

With an unexpected turn of events, on my part anyway, a fourth grandchild magically arrived four years later. Since then my entire crew has jokingly been rationalizing that since she is now 9 years old, and not yet experienced WDW, I should do it again. I keep telling them I'm on a fixed income now. So it is time for payback which can be achieved by them taking me.
I keep warning my kids that in 2 years there isn't any more money coming their way unitl we are dead.. Once that last two are out of college they always live with us free, but we can't cover any more bills for them. No more paid car payments, car insurance cell phone bill, you can guess wat my cell phone bill is for 8 lines or insurance on all the adult kids cars, it's coming to an end I tell them. But they can always come stay with us free, right next to Disney and save thousands on a room. A sneaky way to ensure I get to play and spend time with the grand kids!!

Jrb1979

…and that’s okay. As I have said, my wife doesn’t have the need to return and we’ve been married over twenty years.

There are certainly theme parks that have the screams of excitement. It’s fun but different. For me, I get that from our local Six Flags (my wife doesn’t prefer that either!)

Maybe you’ll be interested again. Maybe not. Life goes on, and there are definitely other things out there 🤷‍♂️
It's hard to be interested with how much it costs and how much they have taken away. The price is the big thing and a lot of it has to do with that my Platinum pass for Cedar Point costs my wife and I $400 for the year. When I go there since it's 5 hours away I usually stay at their hotel for 5 days. In total it costs about $600 for the hotel. We have just as much fun there as we do at Disney.

It's hard to justify paying 10 times more and I don't feel I get anywhere near 10 times more enjoyment.

Last edited:

dovetail65

If I let you play with my kids, can I come stay at your house for free, too?
hehe, :) nope, just for my kids or grand kids.

The youngest kids don't have a clue what things cost yet. When I told them one character dinner was 500 meal plus they just about dropped.

dovetail65

It's hard to be interested with how much it costs and how much they have taken away.
Yeah but only die hard or local now what they have taken away, during Covid things not open isn't a fair comparison. I agree right now value may not be there for people that care about it, but so many don't know better. The other things that are no longer there for me are more than a wash with Star Wars, Fop(already old now) and the newer things now and upcoming.

I have talked to friends that went to Disney came home and didn't even know what the Hoop De Doo revue was or that their were dinners possible at the castle, even that they never used a fast pass. I thought what the heck no wonder you came home saying it was just okay.

I tried to assist, they really did not want to hear it. I am betting there are loads of people that go to WDW that are just like that. They say I know, I know, but they don't know. They go to Disney blind with no plan. These people have a real good chance of having an average trip, maybe even come back disheartened. It's strange because Disney does so much to allow people to plan, research, etc etc,. For me Disney will never be a place where a non planner will have an optimal time, even a good time by my standards(I don't wait in 1.5 hour lines and I don't care if I dropped 10K and more on a tripm that cost doen't make me feel like I must do long lines, I use FP and plan to make sure that doesn't happen).

Most people that go just don't compare to years gone by holding it against Disney or compare like we all can. We meaning people that go multiple times, maybe hundreds of times over the years or even hang out on Disney forum.
I said the resorts because I do like taking weekend getaways. I don't go into the parks unless I am with someone who wants to go in. I mainly go to my favorite restaurants around Orlando and play golf.
That's the one thing that confused me the first day of the poll. I wanted to choose more than 3, but "resort" to me had to be chosen. It states "resort", I took that to mean the entire resort, WDW as one resort, not "resorts". For me it should state "hotels" instead of resort and have another line resort or "entire WDW resort.". At least that is how my mind worked when I read it the first time.

Possibly that is why some of us keep saying bubble, the magic line etc, for us it truly is "one" 42 Sq mile resort with hotels, parks varied activities and a ton of other stuff. That is what we come for. In that vain of thinking there is no one resort on the planet that comes close to the scope of WDW. That to me is what I come back for, the all encompassing bubble of the largest resort in the world.

Cedar Point, Six Flags(I have season passes), they just are a different animal and I can't justify cost comparison myself. The best be cheaper how can they not be? WDW outlay is that of small countries.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Yeah but only die hard or local now what they have taken away, during Covid things not open isn't a fair comparison. I agree right now value may not be there for people that care about it, but so many don't know better. The other things that are no longer there for me are more than a wash with Star Wars, Fop(already old now) and the newer things now and upcoming.

I have talked to friends that went to Disney came home and didn't even know what the Hoop De Doo revue was or that their were dinners possible at the castle, even that they never used a fast pass. I thought what the heck no wonder you came home saying it was just okay.

I tried to assist, they really did not want to hear it. I am betting there are loads of people that go to WDW that are just like that. They say I know, I know, but they don't know. They go to Disney blind with no plan. These people have a real good chance of having an average trip, maybe even come back disheartened. It's strange because Disney does so much to allow people to plan, research, etc etc,. For me Disney will never be a place where a non planner will have an optimal time, even a good time by my standards(I don't wait in 1.5 hour lines and I don't care if I dropped 10K and more on a tripm that cost doen't make me feel like I must do long lines, I use FP and plan to make sure that doesn't happen).

Most people that go just don't compare to years gone by holding it against Disney or compare like we all can. We meaning people that go multiple times, maybe hundreds of times over the years or even hang out on Disney forum.

Cedar Point, Six Flags(I have season passes), they just are a different animal and I can't justify cost comparison myself. The best be cheaper how can they not be? WDW outlay is that of small countries.
For me staying at Cedar Point at their hotel is like staying at Disney in regards to that bubble feeling. For those who have never stayed there, the hotel is fantastic. You can walk to the park and you have a beach right outside the doors.

I disagree that they are a different animal. Not all regional parks are the same. Some of them are destination parks. I would consider Dollywood, Cedar Point and Silver Dollar City as such.

I like Disney and when I took my nieces a few years ago I enjoyed more then when I went myself. Seeing the enjoyment through them made a difference. It might return when my child is older. Part of my issue is when I go to a park I enjoy riding attractions multiple times. I'm sorry to say, I find most Disney attractions one and done.

Last edited:

chriskbrown

I have been going for over 40 years, back when it was one park and 2 hotels. I remember the trip we took when we stayed at the Contemporary as a kid. Best vacation ever as a kid. Came back once in college but not again until 20 years ago when my oldest kids were young. Going to Disney is now part of our family traditions, and as DVC owner we will keep going.

BiBi

For us it's not about the parks anymore. We have a few rides we like to do and restaurants we frequent but then it's back to the resort to soak in the ambiance of the room and resort. We have a bucket list of certain resorts and suites that we want to stay in. We especially go for the Disney food experience. When there we want to have meals that we don't have available at home. We don't want to cook when on vacation. We go for the pampering.

SteamboatJoe

Nostalgia certainly plays a role but even if certain things are not what they used to be, the mixture and quality of themes, sights, landscaping, sounds, music, food, and entertainment still greatly exceed other non-Disney parks. Yes, even Universal.

There is only one Epcot.

There is only one Animal Kingdom.

The train and steamboat are still whistling.

Tiki birds are still singing.

Skippers are still joking.

Country Bears are still having a jamboree.

Dumbo is still flying.

It's still a small world after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom