What job would you have michael eisner do WDW for a week!

Yellow Shoes

IMHO, the absolutely best job for any CEO to take is a front-line, lowest pay job.

It is helpful for anyone in management to get an idea of what it is really like "out there" with the paying customers.

Guest relations would be wonderful--let him hear how dirty the bathrooms are, where the bird droppings are, how long it took for tables to be cleared, all the peeling paint, that only one line of Splash Mt. was running, etc.

Attractions is always good to see the reactions of guests.

Epcot82Guy

Pumbas Nakasak said:
To drift a little further......

Im sorry but all this he was great once stuff, yes thats the point, he was good for the company at one point. However his style of management and the board he headed made a catalogue of errors which would have gotten mere mortals fired.

like ageing sportsmen you cant trade on former glories.

Anyway, Id have Michael do tours with guests to explain why there’s all the closed and unused attraction space. followed by a Q & A session explaining why hes managed to burn soooooo many bridges with strategic partners, Disney fans, and employees. and the benefits he hopes to gain by "outsourcing" creativity, the one thing that earned Disney its brand recognition.

I think that, in all seriousness, is a good thought. I would love to have him take guests on a Lost Disney tour and have to answer HONESTLY why things have disappeared. Travel MK and Epcot. I would pay to go on that (but would be better if you didn't have to).

I will say, however, all the closings and unused buildings, however, have set a new CEO (or parks manager if the Stragtegic Planning revamp truly happens as it seems to be) in a position of "restoring" things. Imagine if Iger announced a brand new Horizons pavilion at Epcot or a return of an updated Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or COP (assuming it does close). That way, the would have (1) a new attraction, (2) an appeasement to Classic Disney Fans, (3) and a direct statement of this being "a new regime."

Who knows what will come, however. They have business sides to take care of, but I hope the micromanaging gives way to long term creativity that results in attractions that are works of art with longevity, not quick, trendy movie tie ins that will die.

OK. I appologize for the thread drift. I just wish he could see what some of his choices have done to the return visitors to WDW (and the reducing number thereof).

Tim G

debndon said:
I think I would have michael eisner work it's a small world. That way the song "it's a small world after all" would never get out of his head.
He really DID that for 2 hours (a long ... long time ago... and the tune drove him berzerk... :lol: :lol: :lol:

During Mickey's No So Scary Halloween Party 2003, there was a custodian or two walking behind the horses with a broom and pan in case any "accidents" occured. I don't think there is a job more suited...

Tim G

adamthegetupkid said:
During Mickey's No So Scary Halloween Party 2003, there was a custodian or two walking behind the horses with a broom and pan in case any "accidents" occured. I don't think there is a job more suited...
Errr... what has this got to do with M.E. :D

Was M.E. as custodian or a horse??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

raven

I'd make him reverse everything wrong he did in the past: Buy back The Disney Stores, bring back Roy, hire back the Florida animators, etc. Then at the end of the week, I'd make him fire himself. :animwink:

STGRhost

Anyway, Id have Michael do tours with guests to explain why there’s all the closed and unused attraction space. followed by a Q & A session explaining why hes managed to burn soooooo many bridges with strategic partners, Disney fans, and employees. and the benefits he hopes to gain by "outsourcing" creativity, the one thing that earned Disney its brand recognition.
:sohappy: That is VERY well said, Pumbas Nakasak, and a great idea!

Not to drift the thread or anything, but having worked Custodial myself, I I wouldn't put him there. It's really not a bad job - certainly not worse than Foods or Merchandise. I downright enjoyed some parts - I was outside most of the time, and got to see a parade and/or fireworks nearly every day.
Also, there really isn't anything for the guests to get mad and yell at you about, as you obviously don't influence the price of stuff, the length of lines, etc. I want him to hear from guests who are unhappy about all that stuff.
(I also would avoid Guest Relations, as we're sort-of priveledged, and I don't want him getting any more than the most basic CM perks )

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Also don't want to drift, but when Disney does the mgmt. "switch" thing for a day, what positions exactly do that? I've heard about this, but don't really know anything about it beyond having heard about it.

bjlc57

seriously I would have him...

doing two weeks of surveys and have to LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO COME TO DISNEY and then actually give the consumers what they want!!!!! I did a survey almost every time at WDW and the number one thing that I previiously asked was for the return of 20000 leagues. The SURVEY PERSON EACH TIME TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS THE NUMBER ONE REQUEST!

Two i would give Mr. Eisner a SMALL budget of $1500 and tell him to drive from the Midwest or New York, Which is where Disney advertises the most and make him show what he can get for a family of four at Disney for more then one day. We have been on a budget and have done Disney but never for less then $2500 and thats staying on the cheap. Make him justify the price raises when the economy has said no we can't afford it.

finally I would make him just actually be a total presence in the parks. Yes I know that this is a small part of Disney, But if he gave the parks just ONE DAY A MONTH. Where he spent a whole day touring, cruising, walking, listening, LISTENING, LISTENING, what is going on in these parks. How less is not more and give the people FULL VALUE. Reopen the tram in the living seas. Add a new ride and Country to the world showcase. Extend the Rapids ride in AK. Even though It costs more then its worth conect all the parks by MONORAIL because that monorail ride its self is worth $10 just to see the parks from above. MAke sure that if a ride can be open FULLY OPEN IT. THere is room in the Magic Kingdom for More rides. WHY NOT REDO Mr. Toad's Ride? these are things that people like me WHO PAY THE BILLS, still want to see because they where there when DISNEY FIRST OPENED.

I believe we all would have a different opinion of MR. Eisner, had his ego not gotten in the way and that he did what got him to the top, HE LISTENED.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Well, it's interesting that you mention rides like 20K and Mr. Toad's. I too miss those rides, but understand in both cases, why they are gone. Not saying I agree with their demise. Just understand the situations. As for your budget, I can see where doing a family of 4 would be very difficult to do for less than 2000. We are going back in Dec., and I'm planning on a budget of 1500, but really aiming for 2000. Even though in the past Disney has offered lots of different discount codes and the like, it's still very difficult when you live 1200 miles away, to do this vacation for less. Even if you were to take the scenario of flying, which we are not. If you factored in a rental car, which we would like to have for trips off site, it's still about the same total cost. I have been an advocate of lowering the ticket/resort prices, especially the deluxe prices. But let's face it. The Deluxe Resorts aren't really marketed to those of us who vacation on a budget. They cater, for the most part, for the well to do. It is unfortunate that Disney has taken this business model to the nth degree with the creation of the All Star Resorts, by "housing" all of us "common folk" like cattle on a grazing farm. Though I appreciate the pricing, the "idea" is nothing more than maximizing profit. Which I have no problem with in its generic sense, but it does show the "attitude" of leadership at Disney.

I think that has been my biggest problem with Michael Eisner and his leadership style of let's "tread water" while they waited for the industry to recover. Now that that has started to happen, there's no money to invest into park maintenance. So, what's the next logical step? Cut payroll, benefits, staffing, and quality.

What this shows is this: There's always a price to pay when you don't spend/save CONSERVATIVELY. And yes, there's a message there. Everyone loved Mr. Eisner when he created these new attractions, new parks, new shows, etc. And all was well with this creative genius and his "followers". But what he DID NOT do was to have the vision and the clarity of mind to see that there MIGHT be a day when things weren't so good. And that if the industry or economy were to go south for an extended period of time, that the company would need the capital to survive that time period, while not sacrificing quality of show.

We can look at the idea of saving something for a rainy day as a metaphor for what many of us now wish would have happened at the outset of his leadership. Instead, what we got was this: Spend it, and they will come. Well that worked until they quit coming. What now!!!!

What I envision is this: A return to the days of Walt, if you will allow. A day when the quality of the show was more important than the balance sheet, and the stock value at the end of the day. You see, if you produce a quality product, AT A QUALITY PRICE< THEY WILL COME. AND THEY WILL CONTINUE TO COME FOR A VERY LONG TIME, AND SO ON, AND SO ON.

There will be those who will say to this, that volume thru lower pricing won't do it. Maybe not that alone, but quality of show, and quality price WILL.

Call me crazy, but if I can by a large item (house, car, vacations, etc.), I'll go where I get the most bang for my buck.

I say all of this to say that Mr. Eisner has lost much of this vision, thru having sold out to Wall Street, and his own press clippings. Those who continue to sing his praises and brand him a genius, have done more to supplant the idea that he is a genius in his own mind than anyone else.
So, he takes on the persona of a business genius, thinking he can do no wrong, and nows better than everyone else, in the face of FACTS that state otherwise. He won't ever understand that until he addresses his own narcicism, and takes it upon himself to go to the parks as a guest first, then as a CM to experience all that guests do from both sides of the backstage area, if you will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom