What is YOUR WDW Decade?

Opinion: Which decade was Walt Disney World at its BEST?

• Total voters

NelleBelle

My decade was 1991-2001. For me, I really enjoyed Epcot and all the attractions they had back then that were still in really great working order. We really loved the newly installed Test Track but still really enjoyed things like the Wonders of Life pavilion, Universe of Energy, etc. We adored Pleasure Island and had a great time there, especially once I turned 21 and could get into different "clubs"; LOVED the Adventures Club!!! We really liked Discovery Island. We loved River Country (barely remember it)! And the parks just didn't seem overly crowded! There were definitely off-peak seasons back then.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My decade was 1991-2001. For me, I really enjoyed Epcot and all the attractions they had back then that were still in really great working order. We really loved the newly installed Test Track but still really enjoyed things like the Wonders of Life pavilion, Universe of Energy, etc. We adored Pleasure Island and had a great time there, especially once I turned 21 and could get into different "clubs"; LOVED the Adventures Club!!! We really liked Discovery Island. We loved River Country (barely remember it)! And the parks just didn't seem overly crowded! There were definitely off-peak seasons back then.
I’m with you too for a lot of the same reasons. PI in its prime was truly amazing. I still don’t know how we stayed until after the NYE celebration every night and closed the place and still got up the next day for breakfast at the hotel before the paks even opened. To be young again :). AK is such a great park so the only downside to that decade is it was open for less than half the years.

PurpleMan

In the Parks
No
Seeing how the 90s was my childhood, I'd have to go with that decade. My first time to WDW was in 1990 and we (my parents and I) went again in 1991, 1996, 1997, and 1998.

Chicken Guy

1991-2001 for me. The removal of some classic EPCOT (but not all) was a loss, but I think that the fleshing out of a still-new MGM Studios, the additions of Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, and Downtown Disney West Side, and the development of spectacular deluxe resorts like Wilderness Lodge and the Boardwalk far outweigh this con in the grand scheme of things.

AndyS2992

My first trip to WDW was in 2008 during the Year of a Million Dreams. Had a great time and the promotion was a lot of fun, so 2001-2011 I guess. Subsequent trips have also been great but there was something very special about that one.

UNCgolf

I voted 91-2001, but it's really the late 80s into the mid 90s. Before they started really shutting down/changing significant parts of EPCOT, but also after Disney-MGM opened (and especially after Tower of Terror in 1994). Late 1994 may be the absolute sweet spot.

Although I would miss Animal Kingdom, which is close to perfect (Dinoland excluded), I would love to be able to go back in time and visit the Disney World of that era.

Walt Disney1955

1991-'01 because it was my era of the first Disney trips. First one was in 1991. So it is special sentimentally to me. However, it would be nice to see WDW in its early years too. 1971 when everything was fresh.

zurgandfriend

My decade would be 2001-2011. We had multiple trips, 8 in the 10 year span of time. Our DS was ages 5 to 15 and every trip was different for him. As he got older he experiences and appreciated different things. My DW and I loved to watch his reactions each trip, from age 5 “driving” a car at the Indy Speedway and splashing in the kiddie pool at Wilderness Lodge to him riding Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror and body surfing in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon. By that time DW and I were looking at each other saying “boy we’re getting old.”

JIMINYCR

1991 - 2001 A period of time during which we made our first trips. Some great things were built and expansion took place. Disney was moving upwards with some exciting additions to park attractions and we could dream of endless possibilities because of technological advances.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I voted 91-2001, but it's really the late 80s into the mid 90s. Before they started really shutting down/changing significant parts of EPCOT, but also after Disney-MGM opened (and especially after Tower of Terror in 1994). Late 1994 may be the absolute sweet spot.

Although I would miss Animal Kingdom, which is close to perfect (Dinoland excluded), I would love to be able to go back in time and visit the Disney World of that era.
...you’re in my brain again 😡

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its pretty hard to answer this lol.

I'd say I probably have the best childhood memories from 1991-1996. I lost sight in one eye in 1997 so the parks became a slightly different experience after that but I managed to easily compensate with my other eye.
Then I'd say 2001-2007 was my next best years but I had 2 retinal detachments in my only seeing eye in 2008 which made me lose a bit more vision but the worse part was that I am basically blind in low light situations. It has definitely changed my experience because I need assistance in queues and restaurants and when its dark out.
In my adult life I'd say that the best times are when its me and my older sister going together because I feel comfortable and confident when its just me and her and we always have a great time together. We've gone just the two of us 5 times since 2016.

jeanericuser001

Epcot in the 80s for me was a very different era. The rides seemed more magical. The music seemed more sublime. Everything was at its pristine best and every where you turned there was something new to experience. Alas that magic seemed to fade away when disney started to eliminate the greatness of epcot one little thing at a time until everything that made epcot great was gone. I still listen to the music from those old days and try to remember epcot as it was so long ago. :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom