What is this Tiki Room lyric?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, thank God the Sherman Brothers didn't go after "The Real Macaws," since "The Real McCoys" was a popular TV show at the time...

BeentoallDParks

Besides, people in the '50's were somewhat more rational than today -- there were no automatically offended groups that would raise a ruckus over a reference like that.
Quite the opposite. You have to remember who the audience was and what they had been though. Kamikaze would have been a traumatising reference for that era.

This was just 18 years after V-J Day. Sitting in the audience, there would be families who 1) knew someone (or many young men) who had drowned because they were on ships attacked by one or 2) who had actually been on Navy ships attacked by kamikaze. It would be like putting “Al Qaeda” in show today, 19 years after 9/11.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Quite the opposite. You have to remember who the audience was and what they had been though. Kamikaze would have been a traumatising reference for that era.

This was just 18 years after V-J Day. Sitting in the audience, there would be families who 1) knew someone (or many young men) who had drowned because they were on ships attacked by one or 2) who had actually been on Navy ships attacked by kamikaze. It would be like putting “Al Qaeda” in show today, 19 years after 9/11.
Aren't we talking about the same time-frame where TV was making fun of surface warfare units in the South Pacific (McHale's Navy) and Allied POWs in German camps (Hogan's Heroes)? An era where movies like Mister Roberts, Operation Petticoat, Father Goose and The Wackiest Ship In The Army were very popular...

I don't think The Greatest Generation would have been traumatized by an animatronic bird singing a comical reference to kamikaze attacks.

That said, I'm still on the fence about the word. I still hear "called macaws" when I'm not trying to hear "kamikaze."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Aren't we talking about the same time-frame where TV was making fun of surface warfare units in the South Pacific (McHale's Navy) and Allied POWs in German camps (Hogan's Heroes)? An era where movies like Mister Roberts, Operation Petticoat, Father Goose and The Wackiest Ship In The Army were very popular...

I don't think The Greatest Generation would have been traumatized by an animatronic bird singing a comical reference to kamikaze attacks.

That said, I'm still on the fence about the word. I still hear "called macaws" when I'm not trying to hear "kamikaze."

That's it! And they dive bomb with the top of their head, i.e., a 'craw.'

The boys in the back are kamikaze.
Because of the wars?
Because of them craws!

MickeyLuv'r

Original Poster

Just, no. Not at all.

Laughter was considered a coping mechanism. The PC movement didn't gain steam until the late 1980's/early 90's.

Japan and Al Quaeda are nothing alike, nor are the types interactions our government has with them.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I will say in defense of “called macaws,” I asked my husband what he thought the lyric was, and that was what he said. I told him I thought it was “kamikaze” and that I have always heard a z, and he said cheerfully, “Nope!”

We agreed to end the conversation 😂

Also something entertaining to note, this was debated on another forum years and years ago (came up in my search results)...seems that this isn’t a new debate!

What was the consensus of the other forum?

MaryJaneP

Do most Americans think WWII was such a laugh-riot? Do we know the name of the emperor macaw that is sending these birds on a suicide mission? Was Fritz changed from Adolph? Does Fritz have a very short mustache? Why was there no reference to Italy? Questions that make you go "hmmm"!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Do most Americans think WWII was such a laugh-riot? Do we know the name of the emperor macaw that is sending these birds on a suicide mission? Was Fritz changed from Adolph? Does Fritz have a very short mustache? Why was there no reference to Italy? Questions that make you go "hmmm"!

You're right! I'm definitely going "hmmm" but not for the reason you outlined.

Heppenheimer

Also, this is the same generation that made the Exotica trend (of which the Tiki Room could even be considered a derivation) popular in the post-war era. If anything, some of them were trying to relive parts of their South Pacific wartime experience.... probably not the kamikaze part, though.

SpoiledBlueMilk

It's macaws - that's the lead up to the joke. Or better yet, let's go to the lyrics!

[PIERRE]
The boys in me back are called macaws
[JOSE]
Because of their claws?
[PIERRE]
No, because they're macaws
And my fine feathered friend is a jolly toucan
And two can sound better than one toucan can

DoleWhipDrea

It's macaws - that's the lead up to the joke. Or better yet, let's go to the lyrics!

[PIERRE]
The boys in me back are called macaws
[JOSE]
Because of their claws?
[PIERRE]
No, because they're macaws
And my fine feathered friend is a jolly toucan
And two can sound better than one toucan can

“The boys in me back?”

I think everyone else here can agree it’s “the” at least. Then we have this:

“[JOSE]
(spoken)
Si, solo we can't hear you”

Should be “so low.

Not a good source.

91JLovesDisney

Good news - Disney Music Licensing has lyrics!

In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
All the birds sing words and the flowers croon
When you do the Macarena in the Tiki Room

Welcome to our tropical hideaway
You lucky people you
If we weren’t in the show starting right away
We’d be in the audience too

Do the Macarena in the Tiki Room, etc.

The bird of paradise is an elegant bird
He likes to be seen and he loves to be heard
Most little birdies will fly away
But the Tiki Room birds are here ev’ry day

............???????

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Good news - Disney Music Licensing has lyrics!

Welcome to our tropical hideaway
You lucky people you
If we weren’t in the show starting right away
We’d be in the audience too

Do the Macarena in the Tiki Room, etc.

The bird of paradise is an elegant bird
He likes to be seen and he loves to be heard
Most little birdies will fly away
But the Tiki Room birds are here ev’ry day

............???????
Yikes. Were those the lyrics for 'under new management'?

Brer Panther

There was some sort of Disney CD that mashed up the Tiki Room song with the Macarena in yet another one of Disney's attempts at being hip and cool. Just search "Tiki Room Macarena" on YouTube and you'll find it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom