What is the worst ride in Epcot? (Quality-wise)

What is the worst ride in Epcot? (quality)

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Just like the last poll, I will be doing multiple polls on each park and there worst and best rides based NOT on bias and personal experience for the ride/special connection. The next park is I think the second weakest/3rd best WDW park, What do you think is the worst ride in the park? This includes story, theme, thrill, queue, and overall experience of the ride. Remember even thrill rides can be bad, they don't automatically equal a quality ride if it's a not great overall experience. Also, I've decided to just do "Rides" not shows, meet and greets, etc because than I would have to a ton of different attractions for the poll which would be annoying and really long especially since Epcot has so many other shows and things to do. There will be different polls.

I'll update in the future when there is the new Ratatouille ride and Guardians of the Galaxy ride (although I don't think they'll be one of the worst, we will see!)

And remember everyone be nice! Haha.

Let's vote and discuss!

Paper straw fan

When you vote first you get to DOMINATE the polls briefly!

I’m saying Spaceship, the ride itself probably would have been rebooted years ago were it not the iconic architecture of the park. It was time for a renovation

I have my soft spot for Figment but it should be next on the update wagon. Time for some HD quality screens, maybe a new doctor (Jim Parsons?) and perhaps some updates Figment animatronics

Last edited:

KINGLOUIS1993

I voted for Nemo but in hindsight I should had voted for Imagination with Figment, Nemo could and should be a lot better but I think it is a better ride for young ones. Figment does nothing for me tbh I could not ride it and have no regrets.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Frozen
images(9).jpg

Heppenheimer

I can't believe no one has even voted for Mission: Space yet, considering the vitriol it regularly receives from Horizons fans and the easily motion-sick.
I am continually amazed how many people miss Horizons. Even as a kid, I thought that was the weakest pavilion in Future World. I mean, in a park dedicated to various aspects of the future of technology, the theme was... the future of technology.

I understand why the old Journey into Imagination had to go (broke down too frequently), and I understand the 1999 recession, 2001 travel declines and the initial failure of California Adventure killed the budget for the re-revamp.. but come on. Even my four year-old nephew said "That wasn't very good."

QuasiNoFroyo

I am continually amazed how many people miss Horizons. Even as a kid, I thought that was the weakest pavilion in Future World. I mean, in a park dedicated to various aspects of the future of technology, the theme was... the future of technology.

I understand why the old Journey into Imagination had to go (broke down too frequently), and I understand the 1999 recession, 2001 travel declines and the initial failure of California Adventure killed the budget for the re-revamp.. but come on. Even my four year-old nephew said "That wasn't very good."
Those are all very good points you make.

Heppenheimer

The Imigination ride is awful, I never got to experience any earlier versions but I have no idea why someone would want to buy Figment merchandise after going on that. I do not like being sprayed with skunk smells.
The residual attachment to Figment goes back to the original attraction, which for kids at the time, was the best ride in Epcot, by far. I'm not sure how it would stand up to today's standards, but it was vastly superior to the current ride. Figment was also the only merchandizable "character" in Epcot for the first decade or so.

Heppenheimer

Was his character the same as it is on the current ride?
I've only been on the current ride once (have bypassed it ever since), and I can't really remember what role he plays now. But in the original attraction, he was more integrated into the entire ride sequence. He was a delightful little character.

Inspired Figment

Was his character the same as it is on the current ride?
Not even close. The original was innocent & lovable with a childlike purity, warmth & innocence who was a companion to Dreamfinder. The current one on the other hand is the complete opposite. A loud, mischievous “interference”. Sad what they did to this once wonderful ride & character.

Inspired Figment

My hunch is they changed his character to a constant “interference” intentionally to poke fun at the guests & fans that complained about the redo to bring the old ride back.
Infact, the entire ride seems to make this clear. Especially the “big stink”. 🎶That’s how you tell a skunk is not a rose🎶 (It’s basically mocking the fact they took out the original that had the pleasant smell of roses”. And replaced it with a ride that stunk. Not to mention, that the Figment fans made a “big stink” about it.) It only gets worse from there. The whole “upside down” house. “Imagination is just turning your thinking upside down”. Basically implying the “Friends of Figment” (the fan group that protested to bring him and the old ride back) had an “upside down way of thinking”.
Then it puts the “Friends of Figment” on blast at the end. All singing as a chorus, With the last scene featuring every homage to the original ride’s scenes in one room. Pretty sick & demented, right?

Inspired Figment

What’s fascinating to me is that the both Tiki Room Under New Management & Journey Into Imagination with Figment have nearly identical signage. Odd, right?
Almost like Tiki Room: Under New Management might’ve been poking fun at management at the time, and the Journey Into Imagination With Figment ride was poking fun at the whole “Your Imagination/Friends of Figment/Bring Figment Back” controversy. Hmmm

Last edited:

NickMaio

Blasphemous.......Horizons was truly an Epic ride. Especially the end.
The people who loved it....rode it again and again😃

Inspired Figment

Blasphemous.......Horizons was truly an Epic ride. Especially the end.
The people who loved it....rode it again and again😃
I gotta say, as much as I personally love Horizons. Unfortunately, it didn’t do so hot with guests at that time. Infact, according to Eddie Sotto who worked on Mission: Space. One of the reasons Horizons closed was due to low ridership and guest survey ratings. Not to mention, it’s loss of sponsorship. Which in turn may have changed the sponsorship model for Epcot attractions at the time:

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Oh wow. To be honest I never understood the love for the character but now that you explain it, it sounds like the current iteration of him is a complete 180.
Yep, exactly. Btw, I’d definitely recommend giving @marni1971 ’s Ultimate tribute video a watch. It has a great ridethrough of the original attraction. You’ll see exactly what we’re all talking about after watching it. Both the ride and Figment’s portrayal was drastically different and far superior compared to what’s there now. The main ride portion starts around 21:35 :

NickMaio

I gotta say, as much as I personally love Horizons. Unfortunately, it didn’t do so hot with guests at that time. Infact, according to Eddie Sotto who worked on Mission: Space. One of the reasons Horizons closed was due to low ridership and guest survey ratings. Not to mention, it’s loss of sponsorship. Which in turn may have changed the sponsorship model for Epcot attractions at the time:
Ya I know😞.
But it will always be amazing to my 10 year old heart. It was my hands down fav ride at WDW.....
Thanks for the cool article.

Inspired Figment

Infact... I also have a hunch that the closure of Horizons had a direct impact on the original Journey Into Imagination attraction.
The very same year that it closed due to the reasons mentioned in Sotto’s post. Interestingly enough , “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” had opened shortly after. (This, I believe, was the start of the ‘film IP’ takeover at Epcot). With that also came a change to the queue, entrance, & signage for the Magic Eye Theater. The monorail spiel’s wording was also changed around this time. Notice the lack of mentioning of ImageWorks & the attraction itself being mentioned (3:43):

Fascinating, huh? It states that “Honey” is inside with a brief synopsis for the show and that’s it. Advertising “Honey” as the main attraction in the pavilion, rather than the ride or ImageWorks.
Around this time also, Figment was allegedly starting to be less & less publicized in park advertising.
One thing that should be noted is Horizons, Honey, along with the 2&3rd poor renovations to the ride all share common folks involved. I won’t state who exactly they are. But i’ll let you all figure it out on your own. You can also find who created the redos on Wikipedia.

Also, due to the closure of Universe of Energy (for transformation into Ellen’s Energy Adventure & World of Motion (for Test Track). Horizons was allegedly then reopened seasonally without it’s sponsor, due to park capacity concerns.

Here are some very interesting articles I’d recommend reading regarding this whole matter. :

Also, here’s a very “coincidental” piece of merchandise that was released during that time period...... “funny”, huh? 👀 :

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom