What is the tallest Disney structure in all of WDW?

WDW-Imagineer

Right now it is the "Epcot" tower over Spaceship Earth. Before that was constructed, Tower of Terror was the highest at 199 feet. FAA regulations state that any structure 200 feet or higher require a beacon to notify aircraft. Since the Epcot tower has a beacon on it... it is well over 200 feet and the highest structure in WDW.

[EDIT] The Epcot tower is 257 feet. Also, I forgot... before ToT, Spaceship Earth was the highest at 180 feet. So it looks like SE has reclaimed its title!

The Mom

Premium Member
I may be mistaken (I frequently am ) but doesn't Space Mountain have a beacon on it? Or are the flashing white lights something different?

MrPromey

Original Poster
Nope, space mountain doesn't. I thought I might trip a few people up with that one because most people don't seem to think of the wand but WDW-Imagineer had to ruin it by getting the answer right :)

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm confused (as usual) Do you mean the wand is a beacon? I know SE is taller than Space Mountain, but thought Space Mountain had beacons on it, even though it isn't 200 ft tall. So either:

1. I'm mistaken about seeing them (most likely)
2. Buildings less than 200 ft need them
3. Disney is just being very cautious

sillyspook13

Originally posted by marciahahn
I'm confused (as usual) Do you mean the wand is a beacon? I know SE is taller than Space Mountain, but thought Space Mountain had beacons on it, even though it isn't 200 ft tall. So either:

The towers on Space Mountain are for decoration.;)

The Mom

Premium Member
When I was staying in the contemp, I looked over and saw (at least I thought I did) blinking white lights on top of Space Mountain! Was it a UFO? Was I hallucinating? That would explain a lot of things going on in my life ever since! :confused:

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by MrPromey
Nope, space mountain doesn't. I thought I might trip a few people up with that one because most people don't seem to think of the wand but WDW-Imagineer had to ruin it by getting the answer right :)

:D :D :D

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by marciahahn

The highest point on the tower (the point on the star thing) is where the beacon is located. During the day it is a strobe light & at night it is a flashing red beacon (as most towers are).

Buildings less then 200 feet do NOT need them. I believe what you are seeing is either a hallucination or decoration.

The Mom

Premium Member
If any one else sees them, let me know. Otherwise I'm calling the National Enquirer! (I knew my kids were driving me crazy!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom