What is the difficulty rate for someone to become a CM?

sniggle74

Original Poster
I've been dreaming, wishing and hoping to become a CM for the longest time. I'm finally coming to the conclusion that if you don't face your dream it will never come true. Granted, I have had brushes with Disney before (auditioning for the MMC and failing, attempting for the animation intern program and failing,etc.) but never with a positive result. How easy is it for a person (currently) out of the area to become a CM and what would be the most direct route in doing so?

Thank you in advanced for all the advice.

sniggle74

Original Poster
Really? I could just go into Cast Services and get on my hands and knees and shed a few tears :)

That's so promising.....maybe there is hope!

se8472

Yeah its not hard, but getting the role you want...that is when it almost becauses impossible. (key word is almost, because I asked for space and got it somehow)

sniggle74

Original Poster
Now are these full time positions or are they part time? what's the pay scale? Sorry to be so inquizitive...but I think I really need to fulfill this dream of mine.

bartman454

Being a seasonal WDW cast member myself here are the general areas of employment.

CT casual temporary- This usually means you come in seasonally or only say one day a week. Some people do this strictly so they can get into the parks free the rest of the week.

CR casual regular- This is just a step below general part time. Probably only a couple days a week

Part time- Usually only 20-30 hours but can go up to 50 or so during holiday weeks and what not

Full Time- guaranteed 32 hours a week at least.

Overall disney likes to hire the most people at either part time or seasonal. They dont like to do full time quite as much due to having to pay for benefits and what not. My opinion your best chance is part time.

cm1988

Just a word of caution

Admittedly, I write this a lot on these boards, but here goes again...

Having a dream to work at WDW is a great thing, and I sure understand it, since that's what led me down here 15 years ago. I went in with the attitude that I'd take any job, just to get in the door... and I didn't really care if promotions and opportunities might be a long time coming.

I had some money set aside... not much... but figured I could buy a mobile home of some kind for about 10 grand and afford lot rent with my WDW pay.

That isn't exactly how it worked out, but it was really difficult getting by on my single income, and I wound up having to share housing... for seven years. Drove a car with no air conditioning for two or three Orlando summers.

Thank goodness for overtime, or I would have been in financial hot water a lot sooner. But, guess what, I wound up there anyway.

Just in the past few years (and finally with a couple of promotions) I'm saving money and don't have to worry how many Thursdays (paydays) are in a particular month.

So as I've written before here, come on down if you want to. It's great that you have this enthusiasm for WDW, and it is indeed a very worthwhile place to work... whether for a season, to try it out, or for many years. Just, please, first do a budget. Know what your housing, utilities, automobile, gas, repairs, food, insurance and taxes will cost. Maybe you'll want clothing as well... can't wear that costume 24 hours a day! Figure on averaging about 35 hours a week times base pay.

If the numbers work out for you, great, and all the best to you.

ct00000

Great advice.
I'm in the same situation as many...working in a field where I have no interest with big dreams of being Disney again (did characters Summer of 98)

I do have 5 years of sales behind me, but somehow can't parlay that into getting in the Disney door.

Even had an "insider" through a friend of a friend, that I begged for help.... He is in Media Relations; super nice guy, but can't really help me get a job there.

His recommendation, however, was to be at the top of your game when you do apply, rather than working your way up. Makes sense, but on the flipside, if internal postings are snatched up, the general public may never see them...

Oh well..

I would LOVE to hear from someone who is in Management and/or casting and hear some SUCCESS stories from these people.

IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP US ?!?!?!?!

:veryconfu :veryconfu :veryconfu

SnowWhite5669

I am about to do the craziest thing I have ever done... I am flying down to Disney in two weeks and walking into casting to see what is available. I am a part time cast member at a Disney Store right now and I am a full time manager for a governmental office. That's right I am about to throw caution to the wind and see what's out there. Even crazier is that I am flying to Disney by myself! I am leaving my husband at home! I am a little nervous but if I don't do it now I will regret it forever!:eek:

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by SnowWhite5669
I am about to do the craziest thing I have ever done... I am flying down to Disney in two weeks and walking into casting to see what is available. I am a part time cast member at a Disney Store right now and I am a full time manager for a governmental office. That's right I am about to throw caution to the wind and see what's out there. Even crazier is that I am flying to Disney by myself! I am leaving my husband at home! I am a little nervous but if I don't do it now I will regret it forever!:eek:

Good Luck SnowWhite5669-I hope you get it...if you really want it..but I suggest that you call the casting center first for an interview..

1 (407) 828-1000

ct00000

Good Luck! I know what you're feeling SnowWhite5669. It's sooo hard to resist the temptation. I HAVE walked into the casting office before and only to find that there are mostly hourly positions available. The only upper level positions are posted at disneycareers.com or internally. I sincerely wish you the best, however, I do agree that an appointment might be the best way to go.

What are your ambitions? Do you want a particular role?
You can definitely get a job, it just might not be your dream job...

Please keep us posted on your progress...

TURKEY

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527
Good Luck SnowWhite5669-I hope you get it...if you really want it..but I suggest that you call the casting center first for an interview..

1 (407) 828-1000

CALL!!!!

Try and make an appointment. You may not be able to, but do try and if you can keep calling back.

VILLAINSRULE

I have a question...can Disney Store employees transfer to WDW?
I too have THE DREAM....and hopefully June 2005 will be the time I make my move.....
Thanks for any info you can provide......

TravisMT81

well sorta, there company time transfer because it is the Walt Disney Company. But you will start at the bottom of the totem pole again with union senority.

SnowWhite5669

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527

1 (407) 828-1000

Thanks, I am going to do that today. One of the cast members that I spoke with at the Disney Keys to Excellence gave me the number and also told me I plan on at 3-4 hours in casting.

SnowWhite5669

What are your ambitions? Do you want a particular role?
You can definitely get a job, it just might not be your dream job...

Please keep us posted on your progress... [/B][/QUOTE]

I really don't know what role I want, I heard there are 2000 job descriptions so there must be something I want to do... I have a degree in Marketing & Advertising and have been working in Business Development for the last 6 years. I would even go into store mangement or an hourly position to get in the door, but I am keeping all options open. My husband is a musician and went to an audition in New York for Disney a couple of weeks ago. He also just wanted to get his feet wet and see what it's like.

ct00000

I think the best thing you can do is, like you said, to keep all options open. However, if you're anything like me, you can't afford to take the paycut that goes along with some of the roles.
I have a degree in Bus. Mgmt, but have been selling television advertising for the past five years. I am soooo ready for a change, so much that I can taste it!

I am on the verge of taking that plunge like you, but still have some apprehensions. I do know that I can't think of a better place that I would love to "work" and grow.

I'm considering a part time job with them and still working somewhere else with more pay, just to gain access to some of the inside jobs. Maybe a bad plan, but I'm willing to at least try.

I'll be very jealous, oops, I mean, happy, if you get your job

:)

SnowWhite5669

Thanks-:lol: I guess we all get into ruts! Don't get me wrong I love helping people open businesses but enough already. I see these really great ideas and everyone else profitting from them and all I really want to do is go to Disney! So why not put it to work... maybe I will see what it takes to be real estate agent down there and then I can sell DVC!! The options are endless I just hope I get a chance to prove myself... now I must go help someone open their furniture store!:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom