What is the deal with the Power Rangers?

wbboy29

ilovepluto23 said:
Kim Possible, Cars, Chicken Little, all the Disney Channel shows like That's So Raven, Suit Life of Zack and Cody, etc...are, correct me if I'm wrong, MADE FOR DISNEY. The Power Rangers were there...then Disney bought them. The difference is that all those shows and movies were created while Disney OWNED them. The Power Rangers existed BEFORE Disney owned them. So it's technically not the same situation. It's not like you saw Kim Possible on say, FOX on a Saturday morning...and then Disney bought it for ABC and the Disney Channel. BIG difference here. And if I remember correctly, when I was a kid...Power Rangers came on Fox.

Well then, this statement should technically apply to the Muppets as well. They were not created by Disney or for Disney. They were well established characters that Disney bought. Just like the Power Rangers.

ilovepluto23

Original Poster
wbboy29 said:
Well then, this statement should technically apply to the Muppets as well. They were not created by Disney or for Disney. They were well established characters that Disney bought. Just like the Power Rangers.

Very true, but can you SERIOUSLY put crappy Power Rangers in the same rank as the Muppets? Someone already compared them to being like Star Wars and the Muppets.

Please, they don't even come close.

latoberg

Power Ranger...Ha!

I have two boys who have watched Power Rangers off and on for years. They are 7 and 4. And yes, they do become more physically...violent...if you want to call it that...after watching an episode. There is punching and kicking more than prior to watching. This is just my experience.

But I want to add that Power Rangers didn't begin this. Growing up my friends and I imitated the SuperFriends, S.W.A.T., and Japanese Ultraman. Just before me were kids imitating the original Batman (Pow! Sock!). Superman's cape was being attached to shirt collars and jumping off roofs prior to that. And the Lone Ranger was punching bad guys out. Every generation has produced heroes. And every generation has had kids who wanted to imitate them.

Are kids worse now? I don't know. I watch my boys and establish boundaries and rules. They are not supposed to fight one another. Physical contact is a serious no-no. But they still act it out. Just like I did.

ilovepluto23

Original Poster
I didn't really intend on people to argue over the controversial issue with Power Rangers and violence. Basically, I think it's the parents responsibility to teach their children right from wrong, and that it's not acceptable to mimic the Power Rangers moves on other children and people...or even animals too (b/c you have to spell things out to children otherwise they'll do it).

But, basically...I just think the Power Rangers suck. That's pretty much the entire point of this.

Iakona

I have to say that it is the parent's and a lack of supervision and relationship with their children that leads to th acting out and violence.
As much as I dislike and have never really "gotten" the Power Rangers I know enough that they exhibit the classic good vs. bad, help your friends and community and do good things story lines. Is there violence? Yes. How is the parent's don't take the opportunity to put it in context and highlight the good aspects of the show?

My son has no interest in the Muppetts or the Winnie the Pooh characters. Should they go to?

They may not have been crafted FOR Disney, but Disney has embraced, developed and marketed them since they got the rights to the Power Rangers.

I will say is that idiotic car and the blasting music needs to go. Too loud, especially for little kids ears.

wbboy29

Iakona said:
I will say is that idiotic car and the blasting music needs to go. Too loud, especially for little kids ears.

You would be in the minority with that. As weird as this may sound, the car has kinda become a Power Ranger character itself. The car is so popular that it actually gets a line of it's own of people wanting to have their picture taken with it, lol.

Iakona

wbboy29 said:
You would be in the minority with that. As weird as this may sound, the car has kinda become a Power Ranger character itself. The car is so popular that it actually gets a line of it's own of people wanting to have their picture taken with it, lol.

They can keep the car, but the music is way too loud. My son blocks his ears whenever it comes out when we are there and close by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom