What is NextGen

gmajew

Premium Member
Original Poster
I keep reading about the NextGen projects being planned etc for WDW, but I have no clue what they heck they are... Any help here?

gmajew

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't say for sure but I always figured they meant the next generation of Disney:shrug:

I got that part but what makes them different or cool or what pie in the sky rumors... all these imagineers keep saying watch for the next gen but is that just the FLE

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's generally tossed around when referring to something that is going to be radically different to things as they are now.

Example, the Dumbo Next-Gen queue is one where there won't be an actual queue where you stand there and wait. It will be totally different to what we know today as a queue.

The other huge area is the use of Radio Frequency ID (RFID), which is a MASSIVE project that Disney are working on now in largely top secret. This is going to change everything from resort stays, to park entry, to FASTPASS, to experiences on actual rides.

mp2bill

The other huge area is the use of Radio Frequency ID (RFID), which is a MASSIVE project that Disney are working on now in largely top secret. This is going to change everything from resort stays, to park entry, to FASTPASS, to experiences on actual rides.

Cool! I can't wait to see what the heck this is.

GrumpyFan

It's not FLE. But they are spending a lot of money on it and they're being highly secretive.

The Daily Disney posted the following awhile back.

Details of the project, which has been dubbed within Walt Disney Parks and Resorts as “next generation experience” or “NextGen,” are being closely guarded. But there is widespread speculation among former Disney executives and bloggers who follow the company that at least part of the project involves wireless-communication technology that could be used in concepts ranging from keyless hotel-room doors to rides and shows in which the experience varies based on an individual guest’s preferences.

The budget for the program totals between $1 billion and $1.5 billion, according to former Disney parks executives who spoke only on the condition that they not be identified. The amount is roughly comparable to what Disney is spending to build a pair of 4,000-passenger cruise ships.

Though Disney typically keeps a tight lid on projects in development, the strict silence surrounding the NextGen initiative has surprised some company veterans. Disney has required employees assigned to the project — “several dozen” people are currently working on it, according to one of the former executives — to sign confidentiality agreements forbidding them from discussing their work, even with colleagues.

You can read the full article here. Also, check out some of my own thoughts about it here.

OFTeric

It's not FLE. But they are spending a lot of money on it and they're being highly secretive.

The Daily Disney posted the following awhile back.

You can read the full article here. Also, check out some of my own thoughts about it here.

yes a lot of money is being dumped into this, but knowing how some of this money has been spent... sigh... is all i can say.

Some of these things hopefully will make it out and into daily park life. Some of the things you are already seeing... games in the queue for Soarin' ... and some of the applications i have heard for integrating some of these more "blue sky technologies" into the new Fantasyland, are pretty out there, and could actually make me go to a "meet and greet"

but that is about all i can say on this topic.

SeaCastle

Disney would not be investing so much money into a project like this unless they thought they would get some return on their investment. The project will certainly be a game changer, but I'd like to see that amount of capital be spent on new attractions.

OFTeric

Disney would not be investing so much money into a project like this unless they thought they would get some return on their investment. The project will certainly be a game changer, but I'd like to see that amount of capital be spent on new attractions.

really? Remember the go networks, or club penguin, or club disney, or disney quest, or the anaheim ducks, or the angles, or iparenting media, or radio disney, or the Arena Football league, or Disney Mobile, or Jim Henson's Muppets....

The wasted money goes on and on...

GrumpyFan

yes a lot of money is being dumped into this, but knowing how some of this money has been spent... sigh... is all i can say.

Some of these things hopefully will make it out and into daily park life. Some of the things you are already seeing... games in the queue for Soarin' ... and some of the applications i have heard for integrating some of these more "blue sky technologies" into the new Fantasyland, are pretty out there, and could actually make me go to a "meet and greet"

Games in the queue for Soarin'? Weren't those added 2 or 3 years ago? Are you saying they're doing it again using NextGen money?

SeaCastle

Games in the queue for Soarin'? Weren't those added 2 or 3 years ago? Are you saying they're doing it again using NextGen money?

I believe that was a precursor to the NextGen project. NextGen-like elements have manifested themselves in the park for the past few years. (i.e. Kim Possible in World Showcase, Space Mountain queue, Turtle Talk, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom