What is EPCOT now?

Phicinfan

There is no denying EPCOT is different now. This thread is to discuss what EPCOT really is now. I don't know. A mishmash of IP, nature, and countries? With a random Imagination ride? What is the point of it all? Or, to paraphrase EPCOT resident Drax the Destroyer, "Why is EPCOT?"
Yes, fully agree things are totally different.

To me this has moved to embrace Festival!! more than anything else. It almost seems, and I am not trying to be a pessimist here, that the Rides will be the ill fit in the next few years - Test Track, Mission Space, Guardians and Imagination(assuming it is even still running...) and Spaceship earth will be the oddities in Epcot.

Its all about the Festival, regardless of which

donnylambb

i think frozen and ratatouille blending in with their countries well
guardians is weird but a thrill ride was needed
they have more space lets see

dreday3

A theme park (still) like none other out there with a lot to offer people of all ages and interests. Even though it's changed.

It still has 10 (I think) rides and we can spend 2 days there and the rides are just a small part of it.

Last edited:

Cowboy Steve

EPCOT has definitely transitioned into more of an IP oriented and dining park vs the original education/futuristic technology theme. I see it more now as a relaxing park to stroll through with tons of food options and an occasional ride. Lots of stuff to wander through and look at. But the sense of wonder I had visiting it in 1982 is mostly gone. Still LOVE the 'living with the land' ride through the greenhouses.

Smiley/OCD

To me, the front half of the park, whatever you wish to call it is the part that has failed us, the guests the most…SSE, the Land pavilion are still awesome…the rest, meh.
World Showcase HAS, for all intents and purposes, has become food and alcohol parties. I do like Ratatouille and FEA, those IP’s fit in…now let’s see how they rework the fireworks show…

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well they removed the tombstones celebrating the death of edutainment in 2019 and most pavilion sponsors have either withdrawn or shifted their focus, so what is present now is a self-sustaining celebration of various things: food, nature, water, entertainment, etc. Want to know what the real culprit that terminated EPCOT was? Government, zoning laws, and the dearth of people wanting to live in a collectivist future.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
EPCOT today is year round food festivals.
I would say it's now a year round festival that includes celebrating food, cultures, and the Earth.

The Disney board, execs, and imagineers decided to recreate the World's Fairs that birthed It's a Small World, Carousel of Progress, et. al. And they did it by holding a pillow over E.P.C.O.T.'s face.

People like World Fairs, right?

The World Showcase part of EPCOT is pretty much the same, but Future World hit a snag: The corporations which sponsored (paid big bucks to build the pavilions) weren't keen on spending millions updating pavilions. And so as much as some still loved the original rides... they were becoming outdated or past their prime. And no sponsor money to update them. So things... languished. With attempts here and there to update stuff... with big gaps of nothing new in between.

Communicore's displays of advanced tech quickly became laughably outdated... if you ever had a chance to experience it. How were thousands of people supposed to experience a dozen tech stations?

Future World died from the reality that high-tech corporations weren't going to bankroll new attractions every 10 years.

So, when people say that something doesn't fit EPCOT... they're mostly saying it doesn't fit Future World. And they're right. It doesn't fit Future World, which is why it no longer exists.

The better question is does it fit a World's Fair. Does it fit a festival center?

Cmdr_Crimson

Simpsons got it right...
images

𝕴𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖗97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If anything it's the festival park, that's its identity now. As far as theme goes, there isn't one. It's just a hodgepodge of ideas with no real direction. And that's how it will stay as Disney is way too cheap to invest the kind of money it would take to bring it back together.
I don't even know what they could do. There comes a point when it's too late.

MrPromey

Yes, fully agree things are totally different.

To me this has moved to embrace Festival!! more than anything else. It almost seems, and I am not trying to be a pessimist here, that the Rides will be the ill fit in the next few years - Test Track, Mission Space, Guardians and Imagination(assuming it is even still running...) and Spaceship earth will be the oddities in Epcot.

Its all about the Festival, regardless of which
And the festivals are all about the up-sells so that sounds just about right from a management perspective. 👍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom