What is Disneyland’s Thesis Attraction?

What is Disneyland’s Thesis Attraction?

• Total voters

Consumer

I have to go with the Disneyland Railroad. If it weren't for Walt's love of trains, I'd argue there would be no Disneyland at all. It's an idea that goes all the way back to Mickey Mouse Park in Burbank. The Disneyland Railroad embodies the American history that Disneyland celebrates and even features a dark ride portion with the Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas.

Side note, I waited around an hour just to take a grand circle tour aboard the Disneyland Railroad the summer it reopened after the Rivers of American rerouting. Thank God virtual queues weren't around back then!

Practical Pig

Nice! You voted for the wrong option though! The correct answer is Jungle Cruise. Jk jk
My second choice from your list would have been Jungle Cruise. But off-list it would probably be Rivers of America with the Mark Twain. You know, since Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland isn't around anymore.

Transportation seems to be something happening for me tonight.

SuddenStorm

I'm going with The Disneyland Railroad. It roots in the soul of Walt, which led to everything that followed.

To add on to this- every other attraction listed has been duplicated elsewhere, sometimes exactly, sometimes with slight differences. You can go to other parks and get essentially the same experience on the attraction.

The Disneyland Railroad is the only attraction listed that has not been properly duplicated. Sure, there are other railroads at the other castle parks- but none are the Disneyland Railroad with the sights and sounds of Disneyland USA, and the Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval world.

PiratesMansion

Pirates. It's a defining moment for the park, for the medium of dark rides, and it perfectly represents everything the park does best in one attraction.

Much as it's not my favorite ride on this list, to me it's the one that says Disneyland more than any other.

Small World would be number two and the railroad would be number three for me.

Brer Oswald

I’d have to say…probably the ride they’re getting rid of. The combination of music, animatronics, set design, stories, and thrills sums up what Disneyland is known for into one package. Pirates also does this well, but I’ve always felt the Pirate theming was a bit to specific to feel all encompassing Disney (vs Anthro Animals which have been Disney’s strength since the beginning of the company).

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I vote Disneyland Railroad. For all the reasons others have mentioned.

As I noted in another post here somewhere, it also is the first attraction that is prominent upon entering the park, connects the various disparate themed lands, establishes a berm between the park and the outside world, and directly connects to the park’s founder and his love of trains by bridging the real world and the fantastical. It truly is uniquely Disney.

That said I do agree a case can certainly be made for Pirates, IASW, JC, etc.

SuddenStorm

I’d have to say…probably the ride they’re getting rid of. The combination of music, animatronics, set design, stories, and thrills sums up what Disneyland is known for into one package. Pirates also does this well, but I’ve always felt the Pirate theming was a bit to specific to feel all encompassing Disney (vs Anthro Animals which have been Disney’s strength since the beginning of the company).

I considered throwing Splash into the mix, as I agree it does a number of things well- represents a Disney film without being 'book report', the sound design, the animatronics, the history it represents using Walt Disney era characters, Marc Davis designs, Blaine Gibson sculpts- and the best of what second gen Imagineering had to offer.

But if we're looking for an attraction that embodies Disneyland USA and 'sums up' the park in one go- the railroad has to be the one. Heck, you go through the Splash finale on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom