What is a Monorail Gate?

Yoop33

Original Poster
I have been reading a couple things here and there about a 5th gate and I assume it is in reference to the monorail.
I tried doing a search but could't really come up with anthing. So what is a GATE?

Goodeone

The term Gate is partially used in reference to the front gates of one of the main parks that you have to pay to enter. The 4 current gates at WDW are: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom. Therefore a "5th Gate" would be a new park. Technically you could get picky and try saying that the waterparks and attractions like Disney Quest and the Wide World of Sports are also gates since you have to pay to enter, but generally they aren't thought of in those terms.

There are many rumours about a "5th Gate" and new parks. Try searching the forums using those terms and you should easily come up with something.

brkgnews

When you're hearing "monorail gate," they may be referring to a fifth park that would actually have monorail service to it (currently, MK and EPCOT would be monorail gates under this definition -- AK and MGM would not). Not saying that it will happen, but that's probably what the posters are referring to.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Here, the members typically have nothing but comtempt for rumors of two subjects:

"A 5th gate"

and..

"Monorail expansion.."

Both rumors are common on the net, but usually meritless and get the newbies all riled up and they even throw in the occasional w00t that really annoys the grammar police around here ;)

In essence, either project is a long way off as Disneyworld needs to first recover from the tourism slump and also rebuild the image of a few of the parks and resorts. So, having the subject come up daily, weekly, monthly, gets old and we joke about it - like an inside joke. So, i'm assuming you saw them listed together in a post.

brkgnews

I like to throw in an occassional w00t!!!!1111 loloxors! here and there just because it gets the grammer poleece on high tactical alert.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
the way i read this issue is that maybe the original poster got stuck in a monorail gate...... arent they automatic in most stations now. maybe he was s__________g on a mickey head lollipop, didnt notice the gate had opened for boarding, saw it was closing, tried to make a break for it and got stuck.

just a different angle on the question.

brkgnews

I actually considered that. But I figured that, given the sheer odds on this forum, he was talking about the always-rumored fifth gate.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
brkgnews said:
I actually considered that. But I figured that, given the sheer odds on this forum, he was talking about the always-rumored fifth gate.
i know.... i just visioned this caracter like cosmo kramer, eating the lollipop in the "birthday wish" episode of seinfeld, and figured if there was another like him..... i could happen (highly unlikely)

but im sure it is the common rumor

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"Gate" equals the place where the admission fee is taken, hence it`s the most important part of a park for management (or used to be until other sources for tickets were available) :D

Rob562

jmaxwell007 said:
the way i read this issue is that maybe the original poster got stuck in a monorail gate...... arent they automatic in most stations now. maybe he was s__________g on a mickey head lollipop, didnt notice the gate had opened for boarding, saw it was closing, tried to make a break for it and got stuck.

Getting just *slightly* off-topic, but...
You know, part of me would think this wouldn't happen, if I hadn't seen it msyelf last month. :)
Guy is well ahead of his family, starts to walk through the open gate when the monorail doors start to close. He sticks his arm out to stop them, causing them to recycle back open. But then the platform gate starts to close, he starts to gets stuck, and rather than the more sensible stepping outside to where the rest of his family is, he backs up into the monorail doors, which have now closed behind him. So, he's now standing in the space *between* the gates and the train... Sheesh!
(They ended up opening the monorail doors, he got on, and the train took off with him but not his family. ;-)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom