What is a Dark Ride? Classifications...

Spaced Out Dude

Original Poster
I've never considered any type of boat ride a dark ride.

To me there are :
  • Dark rides
  • Water propelled rides
  • Omnimover rides
  • Rollercoaster style rides
  • Circular type rides (merry go round, dumbo, Astro orbiter)

Well an Omnimover is a variation of the dark ride. Haunted Mansion is a omnimover, & it's often called one of the greatest dark rides of all times.

So if you don't class a boat ride as a dark ride, that'd mean Pirates isn't a dark ride?

I can assure you it is! :hammer:

cmatt

not being funny - but to me - a ride in the dark ;)

now for the serious bit:

for example - to me the mummy is a dark ride as it uses the dark to aid the ambience of the ride - agreed its a rollercoaster.
But as the fark is used as an integral feature it can be classed as a dark ride (even though it is also classed as a roller coaster)

Dark rides cant really be a specific entity imho - its when they use the dark to their advantage....

raven

In terms of definitions a darkride/attraction can include all of the following (PS this also emcompasses funhouses):funhouses, walk-throughs (haunted houses), darkrides, glass houses (mirror mazes), mazes, Old Mill rides (tunnel of love), Noah’s Arks (a rare type of funhouse), mystery shacks (tilted houses), haunted swings, and other illusion attractions. These attractions may be located in amusement parks, carnivals, or fairs. Some full-time stand-alone attractions (I.E. no season Halloween haunted houses) are also included. In more recent times; hybrids are slowly being included. BTM not so much a darkride, but Universal's Mummy even with the coaster as a basis the surprise elements and thematic scheme are considerably closer to a true classic darkride experience.

If any of you have a a serious interest in the preservation of darkrides and funhouses or just have a great appreciation for the art please see this website:

www.dafe.org (DAFE stands for Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts).

I am proud to call myself a member.

Me too! Also try http://laffinthedark.com/ which is one of my favorite sites.

The lines between traditional dark rides and hybrid dark rides have been blurred in recent years. I've heard people say they hate date rides but then they list one as their favorite not knowing it's considered as one.

I absolutely have loved dark rides since I was a kid and take every chance I get to ride them when I can. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well an Omnimover is a variation of the dark ride. Haunted Mansion is a omnimover, & it's often called one of the greatest dark rides of all times.

So if you don't class a boat ride as a dark ride, that'd mean Pirates isn't a dark ride?

I can assure you it is! :hammer:

I never said it wasn't, just that I have a different category for them. You are free to do the same. :wave:

See raven's post below.
Me too! Also try http://laffinthedark.com/ which is one of my favorite sites.

The lines between traditional dark rides and hybrid dark rides have been blurred in recent years. I've heard people say they hate date rides but then they list one as their favorite not knowing it's considered as one.

I absolutely have loved dark rides since I was a kid and take every chance I get to ride them when I can. :wave:

Mansion Butler

I always thought a dark ride was simply an indoor ride with it's own constant motion system.

As in, not a roller coaster moved by its own momentum, or a boat ride. So Space Mountain's not, but Mansion, Indy, Peter Pan and Dinosaur are.

Mansion Butler

Motion et el should have been too. The new Crushes Coaster at WDSP is classed as a hybrid dark ride, due to the coaster segment.

I've definitely heard the Ford Highway or whatever from the World's Fair called a dark ride. I assume WOM was, too.

If I'm correct, I believe the original Journey into Imagination was the longest dark ride ever.

Just look at all that unused show room!

EMThompsen

With the evolution of technology I think it's hard to classify many rides as being just Dark Rides. Segments of rides have a dark ride aspectto them but then suddenly the ride changes.
You can classify it anyway you like.
I don't care as long as it's fun.

I found this on the web. This should stir the debate.

Definitions of Dark Ride on the Web:

1) A coaster which is totally enclosed, most of the time in complete darkness. 2) A genre of ride which involves riding through a building, often used for haunted house style rides.
www.geocities.com/RollerCoasterTalk/definitions.html

A dark ride is an indoor amusement ride consisting of a vehicle traveling past animated scenes. Leon Cassidy of the Pretzel Amusement Ride Company invented and patented the single-rail dark ride in 1928. Notable dark rides include the Futurama at the 1939 New York World's Fair and The Haunted Mansion at Disney theme parks.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom