What if Splash Mountain Became...The Rescuers!

JordanBach_95

Original Poster
I randomly thought of this the other day after watching the new Tiana POV and thought that The Rescuers would perfectly fit the Splash layout and theme. I watched The Rescuers again and realized it actually shares a lot of imagery with Splash (bayou theme, swamp critters, caves, a riverboat, lot's of water and a tree stump!). Even the villain defeat is the same.

This is a super rough idea I put together showing what a Rescuers flume could be (the indoor part anyways). Unlike Splash and Tiana, this wouldn't be a musical, but a straight up adventure ride with lot's of tension, suspense and excitement. A true bayou adventure if you will. This wouldn't be an accurate book report ride per say as it would focus only on the exciting parts from the movie with the basic plot being: rescue Penny, find the diamond and escape.

I imagine most of the ride would be from the POV of a mouse so the sets would be oversized, for example the scene where you discover the diamond you would float through a giant skull to find the massive diamond inside. Forced perspective would also be used to frame the human characters in some scenes so they don't always appear giant. For the flooding cave, 2D water animation projections would be used (similar to the sewer scene in Runaway Railway) to create the illusion you are being pushed out of the cave (the lift and big drop).

Obviously Disney would never do something like this nowadays (old IP, scary, no merch) but if they did, I think it would perfectly fit the layout/vibe of Splash and make a nice adventure ride with some memorable scenes.

idea copy.jpg

MonorailRed

Applebees
I randomly thought of this the other day after watching the new Tiana POV and thought that The Rescuers would perfectly fit the Splash layout and theme. I watched The Rescuers again and realized it actually shares a lot of imagery with Splash (bayou theme, swamp critters, caves, a riverboat, lot's of water and a tree stump!). Even the villain defeat is the same.

This is a super rough idea I put together showing what a Rescuers flume could be (the indoor part anyways). Unlike Splash and Tiana, this wouldn't be a musical, but a straight up adventure ride with lot's of tension, suspense and excitement. A true bayou adventure if you will. This wouldn't be an accurate book report ride per say as it would focus only on the exciting parts from the movie with the basic plot being: rescue Penny, find the diamond and escape.

I imagine most of the ride would be from the POV of a mouse so the sets would be oversized, for example the scene where you discover the diamond you would float through a giant skull to find the massive diamond inside. Forced perspective would also be used to frame the human characters in some scenes so they don't always appear giant. For the flooding cave, 2D water animation projections would be used (similar to the sewer scene in Runaway Railway) to create the illusion you are being pushed out of the cave (the lift and big drop).

Obviously Disney would never do something like this nowadays (old IP, scary, no merch) but if they did, I think it would perfectly fit the layout/vibe of Splash and make a nice adventure ride with some memorable scenes.

View attachment 790160

Amazing concept! Seriously this fits so well into the area. Less musical, more themed environment. Very interesting!

What were you thinking about the audio flow of this? More of mixing different instrumentals from the soundtrack? Or one instrumental tracks flowing throughout the ride?

JordanBach_95

Original Poster
Amazing concept! Seriously this fits so well into the area. Less musical, more themed environment. Very interesting!

What were you thinking about the audio flow of this? More of mixing different instrumentals from the soundtrack? Or one instrumental tracks flowing throughout the ride?
Thank you! I didn't really consider the music. I imagine it would be a brand new score made specifically for the ride so it feels more modern.

MickeyMouse10

I think you run into the same problems with "The Rescuers". Both are set in Louisiana which doesn't have hills or mountains.

If it is going to remain in Frontierland (or my idea of Critter Country). The attraction should have a theming that fits with it. Like "Western River Expedition", "Country Bears" or possibly some other frontier or country based idea.

Last edited:

Miru

I think you run into the same problems with "The Rescuers". Both are set in Louisiana which doesn't have hills or mountains.

If it is going to remain in Frontierland (or my idea of Critter Country). The attraction should have a theming that fits with it. Like "Western River Expedition", "Country Bears" or possibly some other frontier or country based idea.
Simple; restructure the mountain into a skyscraper or fortress of some sort; an “urban hellscape” motif that would evoke a mountain while making sense in Louisiana. Even with TBA it could be a parade float in terms of design, but the more modern setting of the Rescuers lends itself more to the skyscraper design.

MickeyMouse10

kermit 1.jpg

I actually think they could have also done a Muppet's version of the ride as well. Where it starts in Louisiana, but switches to the country where Fozzie's mom lives. Which was seen in the TV special "A Muppet Family Christmas".

Last edited:

MonorailRed

Applebees
View attachment 790409

I actually think they could have also done a Muppet's version of the ride as well. Where it starts in Louisiana, but switches to the country where Fozzie's mom lives. Which was seen in the TV special "A Muppet Family Christmas".

Honestly - what a great reskin for the old supporting role AAs. Great idea on that one!

Would've kept a majority of the old quota with some main character updates.

Any idea what scenes do you think this would've gone through?

MickeyMouse10

Honestly - what a great reskin for the old supporting role AAs. Great idea on that one!

Would've kept a majority of the old quota with some main character updates.

Any idea what scenes do you think this would've gone through?

I figured it could start with the scene from The Muppet Movie where Kermit's in the swamp singing "Rainbow Connection".

I figured the rest though could be about the friends we meet along the way. As we go down the river to fozzie's mom's house (a.k.a. Grizzly Farm). The ride could also feature the song "Moving Right Along".

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I figured it could start with the scene from The Muppet Movie where Kermit's in the swamp singing "Rainbow Connection".

I figured the rest though could be about the friends we meet along the way. As we go down the river to fozzie's mom's house (a.k.a. Grizzly Farm). The ride could also feature the song "Moving Right Along".
I prefer Splash Mountain retheme based on Roger Rabbit 1993 short, "Trail Mix Up".
1619524728670.png

Check it out on my idea:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom