What if part of my party decides they don't want to dine after making reservations?

micknminnie

Original Poster
My in laws are indecisive and not sure where they want to eat. Our 180 day mark is almost here and I am not waiting until last minute to make dining reservations. If I make reservations and include them and they decide later that they do not want to go, can I call have them taking off the reservation? I don't want to exclude them and I also don't want to wait until two weeks before to decide. Thanks.

Kit83

As has been advised ring 24 hours ahead you could try changing it through MDE but it looks like you would lose the whole ADR ! Sadly its one of the disadvantages of deciding who is eating 180 days out, trying to get everybody to commit so early .
I hope it works out for you all .

NYwdwfan

Book now and call to remove them later. When we go - my cousin and her husband usually meet us for a few days of the trip but we never know which days until around 3 months before. I make my ADRs at 180 and include them for all reservations, then call and remove them from the extra days once they firm up their plans. It's infinitely easier to remove 2 people than to try to add 2 people somewhere down the line. But as others have said - make sure you remove them prior to 24 hours before so you are not charged.

CaptainAmerica

Very very few dining locations actually require reservations to be made anywhere near 180 days. I rarely know if I'm even GOING to WDW that far in advance, let alone where I'm eating, but I've never had trouble getting Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's, etc. Maybe try and get them to either 100% commit or not on those restaurants that will be challenging to reschedule due to availability?

If not, I'd say too bad for them. Say you'll try and add them if they decide to join you for a particular meal but if there's nothing available then they're on their own. No reason why their indecision should have to be your stress.

CaptainAmerica

Book now and call to remove them later. When we go - my cousin and her husband usually meet us for a few days of the trip but we never know which days until around 3 months before. I make my ADRs at 180 and include them for all reservations, then call and remove them from the extra days once they firm up their plans. It's infinitely easier to remove 2 people than to try to add 2 people somewhere down the line. But as others have said - make sure you remove them prior to 24 hours before so you are not charged.
That's not always true and it depends on your party size. For example, it's MUCH easier to add two people to a party of two than it is to add two people to a party of five.

NYwdwfan

That's not always true and it depends on your party size. For example, it's MUCH easier to add two people to a party of two than it is to add two people to a party of five.

I think you misunderstood my post. If you have an existing reservation they will always be able to take a few people away without losing the reservation. If you make it for less people you always run the chance of the restaurant being unable to accommodate adding additional people down the line.

CaptainAmerica

Related question: Does anyone know how an infant is handled in this situation? My wife and I have a Be Our Guest reservation "for three" with our infant daughter. There's a chance that my daughter will end up hanging out with the in-laws instead of coming to the restaurant, but it depends entirely on her mood at that instant. If she doesn't come will we be charged for her as a "no-show"?

Kingoglow

To the OP,
If you are interested (and excited) in eating at particular locations then I would recommend making your ADRs at the earliest mark. As to the situation with your in-laws, my recommendation would be to research the restaurants and pick locations with many differing options. That way, even though wont decide what they will commit to, they will have several options open to them.

TaraWdopeyfan

Actually you only get charged the no show fee if no one in the party shows. I had this issue just last September, when we showed up for our reservation 2 of my RSVP'd didn't want to eat so when I checked in I just said it was a party of 6 instead of 8 and wasn't charged for the 2 no shows. I also tried to have the folks removed from reservations and was told that if I did that then I would lose the whole reservation and no guarantee I could get it back for the smaller group.

Weather_Lady

Actually you only get charged the no show fee if no one in the party shows. I had this issue just last September, when we showed up for our reservation 2 of my RSVP'd didn't want to eat so when I checked in I just said it was a party of 6 instead of 8 and wasn't charged for the 2 no shows. I also tried to have the folks removed from reservations and was told that if I did that then I would lose the whole reservation and no guarantee I could get it back for the smaller group.

This was our experience, as well. We simply explained when we arrived that someone in our party was feeling ill and was unable to keep the ADR. We were charged only for those who showed up to dine, and there was no "no-show" fee for the person who couldn't make it.

I think "no-show" typically means that the entire party doesn't show up (although I wouldn't "push it" by making a reservation for 8, and then showing up with a party of three...) ;)

If your in-laws decide not to keep some of your ADRs, I'd still call and see if they can be modified, but if they can't be changed, I'd keep them as-is and simply explain (politely and sweetly) when you arrive that some of your party are unable to attend.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have always thought that the no show was only charged if no one showed up for an ADR, to prevent people from making 3 or 4 different ADRs at the same time "just in case", and then never cancelling the other reservations. Apparently it was very rampant, and message boards were all full of instructions on how to get around the system. Now you're charged if you have more than one, and don't cancel. An excellent policy, and it does seem to have helped. I can get a ressie for CRT at less than 4 months during summer now! Try doing that a year ago, and you were out of luck at day 179!!

jeffk410

We weren't charged as long as part of the party made the reservation, although a different ADR we were incorrectly charged even after the whole party attended. The system still has a few flaws.

Hockey89

My in laws are indecisive and not sure where they want to eat. Our 180 day mark is almost here and I am not waiting until last minute to make dining reservations. If I make reservations and include them and they decide later that they do not want to go, can I call have them taking off the reservation? I don't want to exclude them and I also don't want to wait until two weeks before to decide. Thanks.
Just don't include them in anything since they can't figure it out.... Pretty easy and how I deal with these types

Belle_MTL

Last year we were a group of 17 including two infants. My brother fell ill the morning of a breakfast reservation so he, my sister in law and infant nephew stayed back at the resort. We weren't given a hard time at all about it. Later that day I called to changed a Sci-Fi reservation from 6 to 4 people and once again had no issues at all. In my opinion it's best to book for the whole party and if they in the end don't go you really shouldn't have any issues.

HouCuseChickie

As long as some of your party shows for your ADR, you will not be charged.

Another vote for making ADRs for the max # your party could be. Calling and changing a party of 8 to a party of 6, especially at harder to get meals, is significantly easier than adding #s down the road.

Disney Stine

I was in Disney World in the beginning of March. I fell ill during our ONLY reservation (as I was there for three days). I was the only person in my party to not show up for the meal and they did not get charged for the lack of my presence. I would doubt two people not showing up would cause a problem. Best of luck and enjoy your time in the World!

TRONorail12

Related question: Does anyone know how an infant is handled in this situation? My wife and I have a Be Our Guest reservation "for three" with our infant daughter. There's a chance that my daughter will end up hanging out with the in-laws instead of coming to the restaurant, but it depends entirely on her mood at that instant. If she doesn't come will we be charged for her as a "no-show"?

No, there won't be a no show fee if the infant doesn't join. The cast members would simply change your party size to 2 and modify your table arrangements accordingly. The no show fee is to prevent people from booking multiple reservations at the same time and to encourage people to show up for reservations to improve restaurant seating efficiency.

You did the right thing including the infant on the original reservation because all party members must be counted no matter the age or whether they are dining. Like a few others have said, it is always possible to downgrade in party size, but when restaurants are fully booked, you may not be able to upgrade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom